Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 29
Posts: 29   Pages: 3   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 11269 times and has 28 replies Next Thread
okh
Advanced Member

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: How to know what measurements to set on imported floorplan with no scale present

Ah yes, not too much to go on in you drawing. Here is what you could do to estimate a long line in the drawing so it scales correctly in SH3D.
- Assume a rectangle top wall and right wall (incl lift shaft), shape is not the same, but area looks roughtly like the size of the flat.
- Imaginary overlay rectangle is 238×390 pixels, a ratio of 0,61:1.
- So the right wall from top of lift shaft to corner is roughly the square root of area/0,61 = 41.8 ft.
- In SH3D, import drawing and set the measurement along the right wall (including lift shaft) to 41.8 ft (≈ 41'10").
- Draw a room inside the flat and see what SH3D reports the area to be (advanced editing plugin is useful to scale room sketch).
- If area is too small, increase the length in the background image (or vice versa).
- Measure different distances in the flat and see if they make sense, and adjust again if necessary. As hansmex said, look for standard measures such as door width, kitchen top width, tub width etc.
- Once you have the background plan (fairly) correct, delete all the test sketches an start drawing.

Sent you a quick test by mail not really knowing the floor area calculation (different in different countries), but I assumed the green area was supposed to be 1066 sqft. Result (or original) not sufficiently accurate for millimetre construction or official purposes. But test indicates that the guesstimate is reasonably close, probably as close as possible given the original.

Good luck.

ok

PS. Just noticed that hansmex has posted a very similar file. My assumption was that all of the green area was 1066 sqft (see above), but I may be wrong.
[Aug 7, 2017, 1:22:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark
Re: How to know what measurements to set on imported floorplan with no scale present

@sorrow

... I have to make a wild guess as nothing that allows an auto gauge even if i have the total area in sqft

No, you don't have to guess. You just make a room with an outline that mimics the precise outline of the total area of your floor plan, and then SH3D will give you the areal of this outline. Then you can see what percentage you have to increase or decrease your outline with in order to match the areal on your floor plan. This should give you the correct size.

Or did I miss something...?

cec
[Aug 8, 2017, 12:31:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bdfd
Advanced Member

Western Europa

Did you see the Hans's work (on first page) ?

No, because Hans has solved the problem very well by giving his file !

smile
----------------------------------------
Evil progresses when good people do nothing!
---
SH3D 7.1 and nothing else - W11 64b in 4K
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by bdfd at Aug 8, 2017, 6:39:04 AM]
[Aug 8, 2017, 6:37:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

..a room with an outline that mimics the precise outline...
Or did I miss something...?
No, you did not miss anything at all. Seems we are all saying pretty much the same thing. The shape of the area to be measured made it interesting, though (assuming green area): whether there is a relatively simple way of achieving a fairly high level of accuracy from a low quality drawing of an odd shape.

Is this practical? Well, not usually, but it can be. One frustration is the numerous standards for how a building should be measured and how area should (must) be measured and indicated: Gross External Area (GEA), Gross Internal Area (GIA), Net Internal Area (NIA), Primary Area, External Area (SEM), Internal Area (SIM), Constructed Area (SDC) and so on. And it does not make it easier that all sorts of institutions have different practices: UK Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, DIN norm 277 (Deutsches Institut für Normung: Grundflächen und Rauminhalte von Bauwerken im Hochbau), 2012 European Real Estate Area Label, to mention but a few.

The European label, if I remember correctly, requires accuracy < 1cm, and I was curious about how long it would take to get a fair precision. It took longer than hansmex 10 minutes (for me to get what I wanted), but task was not daunting. Hence the exercise above: a fair approximation, but < 1cm? I really do not know and will probably never find out. But bottom line is, I think we are all saying the same thing. I just waste more words smile

ok

[Aug 8, 2017, 8:51:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark
smile Re: How to know what measurements to set on imported floorplan with no scale present

Hi there, bdfd.

Did you see the Hans's work (on first page) ? No, because Hans has solved the problem very well by giving his file !

Has he? Well, that's splendid!

Have a drink at the bar, I can suggest a "negroni",
and I can suggest this informative article:

https://saterdesign.com/blogs/news/117367303-total-area-vs-living-area

cec
[Aug 8, 2017, 5:41:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

@okh

Seems we are all saying pretty much the same thing.

Yes, but there seems to be some uncertainty as to the interpretation of the term "total area".
Total area equals the size of the plan measured on the outside walls.

Of course, if the linked illustration is showing the plan in it's full size, outlining the "footprint" will probably not give us the exact size down to the millimetre, and there would be an equal amount of uncertainty regarding the dimensions and placements of the inner walls.

cec
[Aug 8, 2017, 6:23:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

@cec
Has he? Well, that's splendid!
smile
..uncertainty as to the interpretation of the term "total area"...
Of course there is, this is legislation. You would not want to leave lawyers unemployed, would you?
..the "footprint" will probably not give us the exact size down to the millimetre...
Nope. Actually it will certainly not give us the exact millimetre size. Purely a theoretical exercise. That said - measuring stuff in the flat suggests the estimate is not half bad. Possibly as close as it can get, given the original.

Mind if I pass on the negroni? Please order me a double Laphroaig, no ice (and most certainly no umbrellas), if you see the barman.

@sorrow - there you go - that is what happens when asking questions in a bar... (right place, but the exchange may get sort of silly eventually). Hope the banter can be of some use... Good luck.
[Aug 8, 2017, 8:12:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

@okh

I was merely trying to point out that once you have a shape and you know the areal of that shape – and on top of that have a program like SH3D, which even saves you the trouble of calculating the areal of your copy – you really don't have to calculate anything but the percentage to get it right. You can even use a free percentage calculator found on the net.
But, of course, my assumption was that mr/ms sorrow was holding a plan of more common size, a sharper and more detailed plan than the miniature image that was linked.

Please order me a double Laphroaig, no ice

Agree... but the suggestion was not for you... smile
One Laphroaig coming up, ( double is still not allowed in Norway, is it?) and might I join you with my Japanese Nikka Coffey Grain?

cec
[Aug 8, 2017, 9:31:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sorrow

Try this file , took me al of 10 minutes.

Hi Hansmex,

sorry for the late reply as was down with fever + work these two days, let me look thru and update later as its National Day here today though i'm still working thanks. love struck
[Aug 9, 2017, 3:06:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sorrow

Ah yes, not too much to go on in you drawing. Here is what you could do to estimate a long line in the drawing so it scales correctly in SH3D.
- Assume a rectangle top wall and right wall (incl lift shaft), shape is not the same, but area looks roughtly like the size of the flat.
- Imaginary overlay rectangle is 238×390 pixels, a ratio of 0,61:1.
- So the right wall from top of lift shaft to corner is roughly the square root of area/0,61 = 41.8 ft.
- In SH3D, import drawing and set the measurement along the right wall (including lift shaft) to 41.8 ft (≈ 41'10").
- Draw a room inside the flat and see what SH3D reports the area to be (advanced editing plugin is useful to scale room sketch).
- If area is too small, increase the length in the background image (or vice versa).
- Measure different distances in the flat and see if they make sense, and adjust again if necessary. As hansmex said, look for standard measures such as door width, kitchen top width, tub width etc.
- Once you have the background plan (fairly) correct, delete all the test sketches an start drawing.

Sent you a quick test by mail not really knowing the floor area calculation (different in different countries), but I assumed the green area was supposed to be 1066 sqft. Result (or original) not sufficiently accurate for millimetre construction or official purposes. But test indicates that the guesstimate is reasonably close, probably as close as possible given the original.

Good luck.

ok

PS. Just noticed that hansmex has posted a very similar file. My assumption was that all of the green area was 1066 sqft (see above), but I may be wrong.

Hi Okh, noted and thanks, let me look thru it later. ;) sorry was abit delayed in replying, i'm still here though abit weak haha
[Aug 9, 2017, 3:07:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 29   Pages: 3   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved