Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 29
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 11278 times and has 28 replies Next Thread
sorrow

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: How to know what measurements to set on imported floorplan with no scale present

@sorrow

... I have to make a wild guess as nothing that allows an auto gauge even if i have the total area in sqft

No, you don't have to guess. You just make a room with an outline that mimics the precise outline of the total area of your floor plan, and then SH3D will give you the areal of this outline. Then you can see what percentage you have to increase or decrease your outline with in order to match the areal on your floor plan. This should give you the correct size.

Or did I miss something...?

cec

Hi Ceciliabr, haha let me try first as i just started using this software, abit of virgin on this haha. like i mentioned in my earlier posts, please do pardon me if i asks 'strange' questions biggrin or if i dun understand your question. let me have a look later when i'm back from work tongue
[Aug 9, 2017, 3:09:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sorrow

Re: How to know what measurements to set on imported floorplan with no scale present

Did you see the Hans's work (on first page) ?

No, because Hans has solved the problem very well by giving his file !

smile

Hi Bdfd, yeah going to look thru and open another can of worms haha. oops but seriously i will look thru and try and put any questions up. I would like to thank every person who has posted here to an absolute nearby without bashing me.

Please accept my heartfelt thanks from the bottom of my heart.

rose rose rose rose
[Aug 9, 2017, 3:11:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sorrow

Haha understood Okh, thanks everyone once again, I will try it later ;)
[Aug 9, 2017, 3:12:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sorrow

Hi Hansmex, I saw your drawing, just to check how did you come to the input measurement 1076.5cm on the background image?
[Aug 9, 2017, 11:38:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

... even saves you the trouble of calculating the areal of your copy – you really don't have to calculate anything but the percentage to get it right. You can even use a free percentage calculator found on the net.
True, and it proves your point. It is possible to insert the drawing approximately and scale it to size later. But of course, you miss out on the geometry fun.
Agree... but the suggestion was not for you... smile
One Laphroaig coming up, ( double is still not allowed in Norway, is it?) and might I join you with my Japanese Nikka Coffey Grain?
Puh, was worried there for a while. You are probably right, I think double-measure drinks may not be allowed in bars. Forgot that. But then, I have not been in a Norwegian bar for ages. I will make a note of trying the Japanese stuff.
Yes, but there seems to be some uncertainty as to the interpretation of the term "total area".
Total area equals the size of the plan measured on the outside walls.
That is how I understand it too: total area is generally area within the outside wall faces (@sorrow, you may note the special paragraph on Singapore in the Wikipedia link).

The fun starts is when other terms are used, e.g. net or extended values such as usable areas for tax purposes, purposes of sale, property value assessment, floor area ratio (to land area for building regulation/zoning purposes) and so on. And I am not sure that the article cec linked about total vs living area will apply everywhere. Just take some European examples:
FR: Surface hors œuvre brute
, SV: Boyta, NO: Arealberegning av bygninger, DE: Grundfläche, NL: Vloeroppervlak, EU guide for Commission properties. Lots of similarities, but in practice there can reportedly be as much as 30% difference in area calculation within the EU/EEA in different contexts (Commission, I think, is working on harmonisation).

All building regulation can be confusing. And the finer details of area calculation may not be on top of the list of things to think of for normal SH3D use. However, when buying/selling, dealing with building permits and so on, measuring area should be left to professionals. To give one example: a widow sold a little house. After the sale it turned out that parts of the basement - a den and a bathroom - marginally did not satisfy minimum requirements for occupancy and should not have been included in the area in the contract. The widow ended up having to pay back a significant sum. The new owners, of course, kept using the den and the bathroom ignoring the legal requirements. And the building regulation was later changed, so the new owners can now include the basement area if they sell.

ok

PS cec - The country banning double-measure drinks also appears to have complicated rules for area measurements... In fact, I could not even find a Danish Wikipedia article on the topic.
[Aug 9, 2017, 12:59:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

@okh

But of course, you miss out on the geometry fun.

True... and thank you for pinpointing this essential drawback wink

But still; if we choose to measure a sink or a bed or anything else we think we know the size of;
in the end, to be certain that our total area equals that of the plan, we will have to make an outline
anyway, to check if we have got the total area correct.
So... well...

PS cec - The country banning double-measure drinks also appears to have complicated rules for area measurements... In fact, I could not even find a Danish Wikipedia article on the topic.

The Danish word is "bruttoetageareal". The rules for calculating the bruttoetageareal are very specific.
I found this page, although not on Wikipedia ( eller "Hakkespettboken" som vi kaller den i vår familie).

https://www.bolius.dk/bruttoetageareal-18311/

Enjoy!

cec
[Aug 9, 2017, 10:53:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sorrow

Can I assume Hansmex cm is large because he catered for the odd shape, so I should put maybe plus minus 10cm from my future drawings as my drawings is not drawn to scale, just want people to have a feel of the unit in 3D format.

I'm abit lost at what Okh had said on the imagination part, i'm pretty bad with imagining things lol
[Aug 10, 2017, 3:24:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

@sorrow Never mind the imaginary pink overlay and guesstimate, that was just an answer to your initial question, estimation of distance based on area. How to insert an image quickly, without having to draw the outline, approximately the right size (as it happens, it was pretty much spot on, but that includes some luck).

What counts is what I believe we all say: Use a correctly shaped room the right size and adjust the background image accordingly. As cec kindly points out: "...we will have to make an outline anyway, to check if we have got the total area correct". She is of course, absolutely right in pointing out that my first area to distance exercise has very limited value (except for the geometry fun, of course).

Peeked at hansmex' and my drawings. hansmex has drawn the room roughly equal to how gross area often is measured in Europe. And close to what I would have done if it were not for the green area in your drawing. I took the green area as a hint of the 1066sqft and outlined the room shape along the green (forget pink rectangle) . So if you want the green area to be 1066sqft, use mine. If you want hansmex' outline to equal 1066ft, use his. We did the same thing, just using slightly different assumptions of what should be measured.

Which is more correct is impossible to say without knowing exactly what is to be included in the 1066sqft (and having some more information). Still, the scale difference between the two files is only some 2%. That may not matter much unless you are using the plan for construction. And neither drawing claims 100% accuracy anyway.

@cec Thanks, it is a certainly a relief to know that Danes at least have some rules! Double measured drinks allowed! Next thing you will tell me is that Danes can buy wine in normal stores! Pretty close to anarchy if you ask me. No wonder you are coming North for your holidays...

Wikipedia - Hakkespettboken smile - se, nå kommer også det til å sitte fast i minnet. Som da Facebook skulle hete fjesbok, men fjøsbok ble sittende i mitt bakhode.

ok
[Aug 10, 2017, 9:20:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sorrow

@sorrow Never mind the imaginary pink overlay and guesstimate, that was just an answer to your initial question, estimation of distance based on area. How to insert an image quickly, without having to draw the outline, approximately the right size (as it happens, it was pretty much spot on, but that includes some luck).

What counts is what I believe we all say: Use a correctly shaped room the right size and adjust the background image accordingly. As cec kindly points out: "...we will have to make an outline anyway, to check if we have got the total area correct". She is of course, absolutely right in pointing out that my first area to distance exercise has very limited value (except for the geometry fun, of course).

Peeked at hansmex' and my drawings. hansmex has drawn the room roughly equal to how gross area often is measured in Europe. And close to what I would have done if it were not for the green area in your drawing. I took the green area as a hint of the 1066sqft and outlined the room shape along the green (forget pink rectangle) . So if you want the green area to be 1066sqft, use mine. If you want hansmex' outline to equal 1066ft, use his. We did the same thing, just using slightly different assumptions of what should be measured.

Which is more correct is impossible to say without knowing exactly what is to be included in the 1066sqft (and having some more information). Still, the scale difference between the two files is only some 2%. That may not matter much unless you are using the plan for construction. And neither drawing claims 100% accuracy anyway.

@cec Thanks, it is a certainly a relief to know that Danes at least have some rules! Double measured drinks allowed! Next thing you will tell me is that Danes can buy wine in normal stores! Pretty close to anarchy if you ask me. No wonder you are coming North for your holidays...

Wikipedia - Hakkespettboken smile - se, nå kommer også det til å sitte fast i minnet. Som da Facebook skulle hete fjesbok, men fjøsbok ble sittende i mitt bakhode.

ok

Hi Okh, got it, let me try to draw on my own and update here. Thanks once again. ;)
[Aug 11, 2017, 2:42:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved