Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 14
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 14750 times and has 13 replies Next Thread
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
An Ugly Mansion - in detail.

In our family it is quite normal to create phony stories about non-existent people and places,
often as a way to improvise a solution to a problem or finding an answer to a question that has emerged.
This project started with a simple question from my stepdaughter:
Are you aware that children can get flat-footed from living in brick houses, walking on concrete floors?
They had been discussing homes and housing at school, and had been gathering arguments supporting why we should rather live in wooden houses
than in houses made of bricks or concrete. And since our house is a brick house, she wondered if it was likely that she would become flat-footed.
Had I become flat-footed after living in a brick house until I was fourteen? We had to check my footprints.
My footprint clearly showed I hadn't become flat-footed, so there was no danger of that.

As a visualization, I made a quick construction of a cellar in SH3D, just to show her how the floor of the cellar laundry-room in the house where I grew up, was covered with wood mats. These wood mats served two purposes:
One was to ease the strain on the legs and knees from standing and walking on the hard concrete floor, and the other was to keep our feet dry.
Since there were no plumbing attached to the wash basins, the wastewater went straight to the floor, where it flowed into a large drain
in the middle of the room.

However, after having constructed the cellar, we both felt compelled to erect a house upon it – and so a story started to unfold:
We should build an Ugly Mansion, and it should be the residence of a Corsican witch named Laria Cagna Francése, where she lived
with her lesbian lover,Bambola Cartoni and a cat named Frank.

We then decided that The Ugly Mansion was to be situated in Sweden, in a village called Trädstad (meaning: The wooden village).
The Swedish culture is deeply funded upon the love of trees. Trees are in fact so deeply rooted in the Swedish culture that
most Swedes have a word for trees, wood, leaves or foliage embedded in their surnames.
Words like:
Gren, (branch),
Blad (leaf ),
Kvist (twig),
Lund (grove of trees),
Lind
(linden),
Ek, (oak),
Gran (spruce, fir),
Tall (pine),
Hassel (hazel),
Björk (birch),
Asp (aspen)
Lönn (maple),

combined with words like:

Ström (water stream ),
Sand (sand),
Fors (rapids),
Sjö (lake)
Berg (mountain),
Sten (stone)
Söder (south),
Nord (north),
Väst (west),
Öst (east),

This can be used to construct a number of common Swedish family names:
Lindstrøm, Ekblad and Sjögren – or switch them around; Ekström, Lindgren and Sjöblad, and so on...

In our story, the natives of Trädstad didn't approve of an alien witch challenging the local traditions by building a brick house in their midst, so they erected a bonfire in the centre of the village, placed the witch on top of it (together with her lesbian lower), and lit the fire.
Unfortunately a sudden gust of wind emerged out of nowhere, as by an act of God, and in a jiffy the entire city had caught fire from the
flying embers – and Trädstad burned to the ground. The only house still standing after the fire, was the Ugly Mansion – now called Villa Laria.

The village was rebuilt ( in concrete and steel) and Villa Laria was bought and completely redecorated in 1993 by the famous Swedish painter Xyllo Engren
and his x-stepdaughter, the multi-instrumentalist Snällan Granberg.
They were both big fans of Woody Allen.

In the background we can see the new Trädstad City – rebuilt in concrete and steel.

The cellar:

Stairway down from the garden, with ramps for wheelbarrow, pram, bicycles and what have you...

The stairway down from the ground floor.

A bigger view.

The ground floor :

As seen from the hall.

The entrance, with the stairway to the first floor.

The sitting area

The music

Desk and door to the kitchen.

The kitchen.

Entrance hall with door to the cellar.

Entrance hall with door to the cloak room

First floor :

Bedroom-daylight

Beedroom at dusk, seen from the balcony.

Bathroom

Second floor / library

Library seen from kitchen

Library seen from terrace
(This image took 8 hrs to render in 2k. View original size )

Kitchen and dining area

Kitchen and dining area exterior view

All images rendered in 2560 and downsized to 1280, using the Simple photo rendering plugin.

Exteriors rendered with Lanczos filter and antialiasing 2 min 3 max
Interiors rendered with Gaussian filter and antialiasing 2 min 3 max.
Sky brightness @ 12

The entire project file is 1.29 GB.

Xyllo & Snällan are wishing you all a great weekend – and so am I smile

Cec
[Feb 3, 2017, 5:21:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
MartinSK
Advanced Member

Slovakia
Re: An Ugly Mansion - in detail.

Oh yes....there's nothing ugly there.. Only super perfect job.. I know I still repeat the same when I see your pictures. But you know I am really happy when I see some new thread made by you here. Cause I know it will be high quality every time..... like this one here... RESPECT
MSK love struck love struck love struck
[Feb 3, 2017, 6:35:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Thanks for sharing these nice images and your story.
Having summer parties in the dinning area at the last level must be great! smile
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Feb 3, 2017, 6:36:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bdfd
Advanced Member

Western Europa

I'm agree with Martin.

Than happiness for the eyes, continue ! applause
Evil progresses when good people do nothing!
---
SH3D 7.1 and nothing else - W11 64b in 4K
[Feb 4, 2017, 5:45:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
HawkDawg
Advanced Member

USA

Normally I prefer log/wood or brick houses and really dislike concrete (as an electrician I've worked on several concrete buildings and they're a pain in the *** shock ), but your Ugly Mansion is really quite good looking.
Reminds me of something out of a TV show we had here in the US in the 60's called Night Gallery with Rod Serling. biggrin
Hawk
[Feb 5, 2017, 12:27:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Miker777
Advanced Member

UK

Wonderful work Cec. Everything from the detail to quality of the images...... perfect biggrin
[Feb 5, 2017, 10:48:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Miker777
Advanced Member

UK

In the UK those wood mats are called "duck boards", still widely use in areas of food manufacturing, where the machines and worktops get washed down and in front of machines such as lathes and boreres in machine shops, though they are, more recently, made of rubber.
[Feb 5, 2017, 11:15:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TommoLeo

Brasil

Wooow it's so awesome! So realistic and beautiful pics, really nice work! :)
[Feb 5, 2017, 5:10:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
VeroniQ
Advanced Member

France

What else?!... Wonderful renderings and nice story, as usual (and I love "Quiet days in Clichy"... I have been working with this Danish director... Great souvenir...)
[Feb 5, 2017, 10:08:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

smile Thanks a lot for all your nice comments!

@MartinSK
Ahoj,
in Norwegian there's a special word – "kråkeslott "– that refers to an old, fairly large and more or less decayed residence. A direct translation would be "A Crows Castle", according to Google Translate. Is there a word for that in Slovak?

@ Puybaret
Having summer parties in the dinning area at the last level must be great!

Yes, in the summer it's great, but there's a slight problem: How do I seal it off during the winter? I have yet to find a solution.

@ HawkDawg
I looked up The Night Gallery on youtube, and got some great ideas for re-decorating. The show was unfortunately not shown on Danish ( or Norwegian) TV.
We wanted to make something like the mansion in Dark Shadows, but we soon realised that our ambition was greater than our skills.

BTW: I can appreciate your issues with concrete houses. We had our house completely re-wired after we bought it, and the electricians frustration was duly reflected on the bill :)

@Miker777
In the UK those wood mats are called "duck boards"

Duck boards? Nice. So I learned a new English word today. But why "duck boards"? Because they tend to "quack" as they get old and soggy?

@VeroniQ
I have been working with this Danish director

Jens Jørgen Thorsen( the director) once declared "Jeg maler for at få fisse." - I paint just to get some pussy."
Well...? smile

Cec
[Feb 8, 2017, 12:09:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved