Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 69
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 275718 times and has 68 replies Next Thread
enkonyito
Advanced Member

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Photo rendering test

This first test concerns the comparison of rendering with or without caustics photons using SimpleRoom.sh3d file.

position 2 (time of day: 21h)_causticsPhotons 500000 (moon icon)

position 2 (time of day: 21h)_causticsPhotons 0 (moon icon)

position 2 (time of day: 20h)_causticsPhotons 500000 (sun icon)

[note: added information in blue]
----------------------------------------
EnkoNyito
[Edit 1 times, last edit by enkonyito at Sep 26, 2016, 7:11:53 PM]
[Sep 24, 2016, 2:13:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Miker777
Advanced Member

UK
Re: Photo rendering test

Hi enkonyito
love the 1st image shows the light broken up by the water, out of curiosity is there another difference in the 3rd image, the lighting on the door is much improved there.
Mike
[Sep 24, 2016, 10:21:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
enkonyito
Advanced Member

Hi Mike,
The difference between the 1st and 3rd image is that caustics are not visible in daylight with Sunflow rendering engine. I don't know why. confused
20:00, it was sunset.
EnkoNyito
[Sep 25, 2016, 1:28:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
MartinSK
Advanced Member

Slovakia

Here I have an image of my new project what I am working on... Heh... It's a little joke,because it looks like indirect light,but it's not true. My settings were PATH-0...but ENHANCED EXTERNAL BRIGHT...and in combination with sS-SILK and shining walls it looks like this... Sometimes you have to be a little liar if you want to have an image looking like indirect light... biggrin

and @Mike...your pics looks still better and better... I see you enjoy it.. I am happy.
Martin
[Sep 25, 2016, 10:18:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mazoola
Advanced Member

USA

@enkonyito
The difference between the 1st and 3rd image is that caustics are not visible in daylight with Sunflow rendering engine. I don't know why.

According to the Sunflow wiki
It's also important to note that at this time IBL and Sunsky do not emit photons, therefore, no caustics are viewable when using these lights.

I haven't dug through the code enough, but it appears time of day (and, presumably, Sunsky vs IBL) can affect renders even when the scene receives no illumination from the sun. In tests of a rendering issue I finally discovered was caused by mapping different materials to the front and back surfaces of a SketchUp-originated model, I found the same scene rendered differently depending on time of day -- even when the scene was set within an opaque box.

Even though neither sky light will generate caustics, you might want to try rendering your scene using a textured sky (or without a textured sky, if one was present for your first render), just to see if one of the two sky models was somehow blocking Sunflow from rendering caustics generated by other sources. Knowing that might possibly help locate and correct the problem within Sunflow.

maz
[Sep 25, 2016, 10:19:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Miker777
Advanced Member

UK

@enkonyito
I feel a fool now, monkey, i thought the 20h and 21h referred to the render time, 21 hours to render an image!!! i was never gonna go near caustics.
@martin
Beautiful image yet again, i can see how an outside light source would "shine" through the large windows and onto the floor, but on the area just outside the main room the "shine" also appears square, i cannot figure that out sad
[Sep 25, 2016, 11:04:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
MartinSK
Advanced Member

Slovakia

Hi miker.
There is nothimg spetial with that shining squares. There are upper windows there and its a normal sun shining through The results are...shinimg squares. It is not final picture. Just only experimnental rendering during the creative process.
[Sep 25, 2016, 6:38:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Miker777
Advanced Member

UK

Thats me over thinking it again, mistook the roof windows for ceiling lights.
Mike
[Sep 25, 2016, 7:05:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
MartinSK
Advanced Member

Slovakia

There will be roog windos there and on the lower rloor I want to give lights there
[Sep 25, 2016, 7:35:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
enkonyito
Advanced Member

@Miker
...i thought the 20h and 21h referred to the render time, 21 hours to render an image!!!
I wouldn't have the patience to wait as long especially that complex renderings monopolize my computer that has only 2 cores.
Previous tests on caustics take less than 2 minutes.

@mazoola
According to the Sunflow wiki
It's also important to note that at this time IBL and Sunsky do not emit photons, therefore, no caustics are viewable when using these lights.
I had seen this info but I thought that caustics would still be visible with the use of the desk lamp.

...you might want to try rendering your scene using a textured sky (or without a textured sky, if one was present for your first render)...
Previous tests on caustics use a sky without texture.
I did other tests with a blue sky texture but I get the same result: no caustics when it's daylight (sun icon).

With enhance external brightness enabled.
sky without texture (sun icon)
(moon icon)
sky with texture (sun icon)
(moon icon)
EnkoNyito
[Sep 26, 2016, 7:05:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved