Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 5
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 8305 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
saadjumani

Pakistan
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Can't import OBJ filed with textures

Hello, I tried to import a few obj files into SH3D. THe folder I import them from contains both, the obj and the texture files.

But when I import them into library editor or into SH3D they only give me the grey colored obj with no texture. Can someone please help me?
[Aug 9, 2016, 11:17:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
saadjumani

Pakistan
Re: Can't import OBJ filed with textures

The texture file is an MTL and im not sure how to import it along with OBJ
[Aug 9, 2016, 11:19:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

The OBJ file contains an address where it can find the MTL directory. When you move the OBJ file, you should also move the MTL file.
1 - If OBJ and MTL are in the same directory, they should stay in the same directory.
2 - If the OBJ is in parent directory and MTL is in parent/textures directory, and you move the OBJ file to model directory, then the MTL should move to model/textures directory.
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Aug 9, 2016, 1:12:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
saadjumani

Pakistan

Yeah im aware of that part, and they ARE in the same directory, but the imported model is still gray.

Between my posting this and now i looked into other possible solutions and in the process I actually kinda peaked into the MTL files of my 3D models (made in blender) and the MTL Files that are working in SH3D and I came to this conclusion:

the MTL Files in SH3D mention jpg textures, followed by a string of numbers that I don't really understand. The MTL Files exported from blender do not mention jpg files but rather blender matirials instead of simple texture bitmaps. So im guessing thats where the issue is, which leads me to second question: How do I export files the "right" way from either blender or 3D max
[Aug 9, 2016, 5:56:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Karoly

Hungary

Hi!
It was a problem for me, too. I read somewhere next. OBJ file is special, pay attention to file name. For example, if in Sketchup 3D export to file OBJ, then file name should be written as follows: Can not be a space between words! Must be a dash (-) or an underline (_), and only English characters, and not an apostrophe (é, á, ö, etc.).
Since then there is no problem with textures!
(My experience, in several cases, is better quality DAE export and SH3D usage.)
[May 15, 2017, 12:59:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved