Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 44
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 218528 times and has 43 replies Next Thread
Puybaret
Expert

France
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Sweet Home 3D 5.3

Hi,

The beta test cycle will be different for this new version: before including any new feature, it starts with a Windows installer version 5.3 Beta 6 that should fix the bug some users encountered during program launch under some configurations of Windows 10 64 bit.
Some of you might wonder why the Beta counter already reached the 6th iteration? As I couldn't reproduce this error on the Windows computers at my disposal, I chose to lead some private tests directly with a few users who had this problem to go faster and avoid bothering everybody. We tried with a full copy of the JRE, with the latest Java version 8u92, with some Java settings for DirectX / OpenGL, with Java 3D 1.6, and finally, this lead to downgrade Java to 8u51 that didn't cause these problems with Sweet Home 3D 5.0, as reported by some of you. As the bugs fixed in the Java versions released since 8u51 don't seem to be related to Sweet Home 3D features, it won't be a problem, and we'll stick on this version for a while (hope Oracle will end up to fix this regression).

On behalf of Sweet Home 3D community, let me give them some warm thanks for their patience during these tests smile

[Note from developer: Sweet Home 3D 5.3 was released on November 17, 2016]
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Puybaret at Nov 16, 2016, 11:08:47 PM]
[May 20, 2016, 6:49:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
santbose

India
Re: Sweet Home 3D 5.3

Great!! What are the new features included in this version of SH3D
[May 24, 2016, 6:12:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Nothing noticed. No problems with Win 10/64 (but then, I did not have them before either).

Anything to look for?

ok
[May 29, 2016, 3:23:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
lcgamboa

Brasil

The stable version 5.2 don't work in my windows 10 64 bits (the graphics drivers issue), but the beta 5.3 works fine!

Thank you.
[May 31, 2016, 2:26:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
svarogrud

Ukraine

Can I get 5.3 for Ubuntu 16.04, as 5.2 does not work:

Sep 3, 2016 10:47:15 PM java.util.prefs.FileSystemPreferences$2 run
INFO: Created user preferences directory.
Java 3D: implicit antialiasing enabled
#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
# SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00007fb023517823, pid=17739, tid=140394698073856
#
# JRE version: 6.0_45-b06
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (20.45-b01 mixed mode linux-amd64 compressed oops)
# Problematic frame:
# C [nouveau_dri.so+0x256823] __driDriverGetExtensions_virtio_gpu+0x1bad73
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# /home/orudyshyn/bin/SweetHome3D-5.2/hs_err_pid17739.log
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
# http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp
# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.
#
Aborted (core dumped)

[Sep 3, 2016, 9:01:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

The changes in version 5.3 beta 6 are in relation with the sub version 8 of the Java Runtime Environment used under Windows since version 5.1 and 5.2 of Sweet Home 3D. As under Linux, Sweet Home 3D installer has come with the same version of the JRE 6 since an older version, delivering a beta version for this system would have no change in that spirit.
[Sep 3, 2016, 11:23:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

I just tried version 5.2 under Ubuntu 16.04 and discovered it didn't work on my configuration too. Then I tried to switch to Java 3D 1.6 / JOGL 2.4 where it seems to work. I'll deliver soon a beta version to let you check how it works on your side.
[Sep 4, 2016, 12:00:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Here's the version 5.3 Beta 7 available for various systems.

This version changes how indicators around objects are detected to ensure that it's easier to move them in the plan at small scales (particularly, it should be easier to move the visitor in the plan).
But the most important changes are elsewhere and I hope you can find some time to test them:
- First, this version introduces a change in .sh3d file format. From this version, the zipped .sh3d file contains an additional entry named Home.xml which contains the same data as the existing Home entry, but at XML format respecting the DTD available in SweetHome3D.dtd. From now, when Sweet Home 3D opens a .sh3d file, it will first try to read the home it contains from its Home.xml entry, then if this entry doesn't exist, it will read the Home entry to enable the compatibility with all .sh3d files saved with older versions of Sweet Home 3D.
As the program part that decodes a Home.xml entry is very different from the Java unserialization used to decode a Home entry, please test this beta version on copies of your .sh3d files to avoid losing data in case I forgot something (I checked and rechecked this feature but there could be some special configurations that might cause some problems). To test correctly this new feature, be sure to save files and reopen them at least once. My bigger concern is about furniture groups handling that it would be nice to test too.
Introducing this new Home.xml entry in .sh3d files will help programmers who want to reuse homes designed with Sweet Home 3D in other applications programmed in languages different from Java, and is the logical continuation of the similar entry programmed for Export to HTML5 plug-in.
From the tests I ran, writing the additional Home.xml entry takes very little time and occupies little space in a .sh3d file. Sweet Home 3D will continue to save Home and Home.xml entries in .sh3d files for a while to ensure a smooth transition to the future .sh3d format that will probably not contain any Home entry at the end (only Java programs are able to write a Home entries). In all cases, the Java version of Sweet Home 3D will always be able to read existing .sh3d files, so don't worry for the files you designed in the past.

- For programmers, this version introduces the HomeObject super class for the classes of objects handled in a Home instance, i.e. walls, furniture, rooms, cameras... HomeObject class lets programmers store string properties, like IDs or any other additional data that might be needed in a plug-in or a program derived from Sweet Home 3D. Of course, these properties will be saved in .sh3d files.

- For Windows users, I replaced Java3D 1.5.2 by Java3D 1.6 which might fix issues that some users continue to report (most of the time under Windows 7). I could have done this change some time ago, but in one of my not so common Windows configurations running under Parallels Desktop, Java3D 1.6 provoked a crash at program start, something which prevents me to be confident. But I finally found how to fix this issue in Java3D 1.6 and I'm not reluctant anymore to deliver it in Sweet Home 3D. So please, test this version on any Windows box that you may have at your disposal to check it correctly works.

- For Linux users, I have some very good news: I fixed two bad bugs that will give a new life to Sweet Home 3D under that system. First, I replaced Java3D 1.5.2 by Java3D 1.6 to fix the crash of Sweet Home 3D under Ubuntu 16. But that's not all! I also found how to circumvent the bug that prevented to use textures on room floors under Java 7 and 8. So, Linux users can again run Sweet Home 3D with the Java version of their choice. As Java 8 fixed also the font color in the menu bar which was too dark under recent Ubuntu releases, I replaced the JRE 6 by the latest JRE 8 in Linux installers.
Note that in my tests configuration running under Parallels Desktop, the navigation in the 3D view is slower with Java3D 1.6 than with Java3D 1.5.2, but maybe it's due to the video drivers provided by Parallels Desktop. Please, share your experience on this point too.

- For people with old or special configurations, the Jar executable version provides Java 3D 1.5.2 and 1.6 libraries and under Windows and Linux, you can force the version 1.5.2 of this library with the new System property com.eteks.sweethome3d.j3d.version. For example, if you want to run Sweet Home 3D with Java 3D 1.5.2 under Linux without checking offScreen support, you can run the following command:
java -Dcom.eteks.sweethome3d.j3d.version=1.5.2 -Dcom.eteks.sweethome3d.j3d.checkOffScreenSupport=false -Xmx640m -jar /path/to/SweetHome3D-5.3.beta7.jar
and the following command will run Sweet Home 3D with DirectX support under Windows:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_51\bin\java.exe" -Dj3d.rend=d3d -Dsun.java2d.d3d=true -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=false -Dsun.java2d.ddoffscreen=true -Dsun.java2d.ddscale=true -Xmx640m -jar /path/to/SweetHome3D-5.3.beta7.jar
In the previous command, I wrote the full path of java.exe to show that DirectX support is available only with Java 32 bit. Note also that when System property j3d.rend is set to d3d, -Dcom.eteks.sweethome3d.j3d.version=1.5.2 is optional since DirectX support isn't available in Java3D 1.6 anymore.

I'm looking forward to reading your feedback, and don't worry, new features should come soon wink
[Edit 5 times, last edit by Puybaret at Nov 16, 2016, 11:09:20 PM]
[Oct 19, 2016, 6:47:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Congratulations on beta. At least no immediate crashes or anomalies under Win 10 build 14393.222. Just tested a couple of existing files and messed around with them. Everything normal, and saved files open nicely with 5.2a without a problem.
..navigation in the 3D view is slower with Java3D 1.6 than with Java3D 1.5.2...
Possibly, but hard to say - nothing very obvious (but with relatively small files).

Do tell if there are specific procedures you would like tested.

ok
[Oct 20, 2016, 10:01:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mohican

smile Re: Sweet Home 3D 5.3

Hello,
I have been testing 5.3.beta7 version on Ubuntu 14.04

(I had crashes on this system with version 5.1 see https://sourceforge.net/p/sweethome3d/bugs/583/ )

* no crash so far (open file, modify, save, quit, reopen, make photo and vidéo)

* I confirm that virtual 3D visit is slower (with mouse : very jerky (fr:saccadé), with arrows : slow, on my 1440 x 1080 display - no difference whether it is opened in a separate windows or if I navigate in a smaller part of the main window) - tested with three sh3D files of 2,8 Mo, 4,7 Mo and 25 Mo : no difference, size does not matter !

* I did not re-import the furniture libraries
however it seems they are active because I have a lot of items in the furniture list + I have a message about library update at startup. Did you include a lot of them by default ?

(I'll test on Ubuntu 16.04 and Mint 18.0 later)
[Oct 20, 2016, 1:39:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved