Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 4
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2645 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
schnesim

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Room with roof pitch won't show ceiling

Hi,

I uploaded an example: http://ul.to/u6attfyz

The ceiling should be visible in bright purple but instead one can see the sky. What am I doing wrong?

Regards
Simon
[Feb 25, 2016, 11:58:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Re: Room with roof pitch won't show ceiling

The ceiling is there, but sloping up at low level.

In a room with many roof corners - like a loft - the automatic ceiling does not (always) work correctly as it tries to hook up with the top of the walls (well, think of it like that).

For me, the best way to draw that kind of loft, would be not to use ceilings, but use a roof (on a new level) instead. Still, it is fully possible to make the ceilings alone.

In your file, the ceiling gets extra confused because you have double walls several places (short sides) - they are on top of eachother, so they are not that easy to see - and your walls do not all go in the same direction and are not connected.

Try this approach:
- draw the walls like a rectangle in one sweep clockwise so they are all connected,
- split the walls and put the joints in accurate positions,
- draw three separate rooms accurately between the wall joints.

Tried that on your file - removing the extra walls, make them all go clockwise and joining them, then the three room approach worked to display ceilings.

ok
[Feb 26, 2016, 7:55:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Take a look at this file: roofless no more

Then take a look on the Documentation page: there's a tutorial on sloping roofs.

The trick: each section of the roof needs its own "room".
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Feb 26, 2016, 8:00:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
schnesim

Thank you guys :)

I created the room with walls first and despite trying to be very carefull, as I ran into trouble with double walls before, somehow I messed it up.

I just re-created the room from scratch, this time room first, walls later, then adding the slopes and it worked like a charm.

I will also keep the trick with a room for each roof section in mind for more complex scenarios.
[Feb 26, 2016, 9:29:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved