Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 40
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 15798 times and has 39 replies Next Thread
okh
Advanced Member

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: high quality pictures at night - outside

An equirectangular projection... well, I learn something new every day.
Yup, that was new to me too.
.. Norway from 1994 to 2014.
smile Somehow it was possible to guess that your model and mountain renderings were not inspired by Himmelbjerget alone. ok
[Mar 2, 2016, 9:36:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mazoola
Advanced Member

USA

Ok -

Coincidentally, I recently slipped a Norwegian Easter egg into my current plans.

So when I put 'international cover model' in my cv, I'm telling the truth. Kinda.

That's probably as close to Norway as I've ever come. (No, wait: I spent a few hours in Malmö many years ago, so if I squinted I probably could have seen it.) However, I am re-[re-re-re-]reading all of Jo Nesbø's works — well, at least those not pertaining to farts — yet again, so at least this American knows where to find Norwegia on the globe. wink

maz

P.S. I can sympathize with your HHGTTG audio woes: For a number of years, I managed to get by with an almostcomplete set of radio dubs I'd made. Then, some 20-odd years ago, I was most delighted to find a copy of the [by then already out-of-print] BBC/Mind's Eye cassettes, which I immediately and painstakingly transferred to CD. Fortunately, since then the BBC has released two excellent boxed sets, one containing the original two shows and one including the three later, posthumous series.

However, greatest HHGTTG bragging rights go to a friend of mine from university, who somehow managed to get one of the 640 tickets available to the first staged production at London's Institute of Contemporary Arts in May 1979. Only 80 audience members could attend each day, as the production was performed at various locations inside the ICA, with the audience, seated on a massive industrial hover lift, moved by stagehands from scene to scene.

Oh, BTW, the Infocom HHGTTG adventure game is available online, thanks to the BBC.
[Mar 3, 2016, 9:31:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

.. I recently slipped a Norwegian Easter egg ...
Surely, you mean an Easter bunny smile - and a very funny one at that. I have no idea whether the rag still exists, but it created enough controversy to be remembered. It was supposed to bring (legitimise) the topic in nice homes. Never thought they would succeed until now.
Oh, BTW, the Infocom HHGTTG adventure game is available online, thanks to the BBC
Thanks!!! How cool is that. Brings back a lot of memories - must have wasted weeks staring at the black/green prompt. Funny thing is, that the game also covers some e-learning elements that have not really evolved that much. Amazing what you can do even without all the bells and whistles. ok
[Mar 3, 2016, 7:15:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mazoola
Advanced Member

USA

I have no idea whether the rag still exists

Seemingly, it does -- which in this day and age is remarkable in itself. I met the folks behind it during a visit they made to San Francisco ages ago and enjoyed speaking with them. (At the time I was busy losing my life's savings trying to do something similar -- though admittedly with far less style. We shared a number of contributors, though, which indirectly led to my being on the cover of their Spring 2000 issue.)

I began working with SH3D about a year ago as part of a project I thought would take nor more than a couple of months. Although it's since become obvious my initial rationale no longer applies, I've continued to work with the design -- in part to improve my SH3D chops, in part to learn Sketchup, and, more recently, in part to refresh those neurons responsible for understanding vector math, linear equations, ray-tracing, and Java.

Almost from the beginning, though, I managed to hide a few self-indulgent touches here and there, knowing that should the images ultimately be used in a listing, somewhere in the background might be family photos, a book or magazines with my writing, framed album covers from records on my label, or another similar in-joke. (For instance, on a shelf in the second floor bedroom is a display case containing a large rubber frog -- the e-world mate to a gift I once gave my brother-in-law [twice-removed], containing a prop from the film Magnolia.)

Funny thing is, that the game also covers some e-learning elements that have not really evolved that much.

While officially I bought my first PC in order to write articles on punk and new wave -- this was 1983, after all -- off the record, Infocom and CompuServe's CB Simulator were equally important. The following year I started Pala Designs as a publisher of text adventure games. While Pala's first and only product, an archaeological adventure titled 'Mixtec,' never came to be, I did manage to reuse a portion of the code in a chapter on creating a teachable Natural Language Parser in Pascal for a book Dr. Dobb's published. It was extremely crude -- but I still remember the thrill I got the first time it responded to a query that required it to make an inference based upon grammatical rules it had been taught.

Much more recently, I've sent a number of developers and [software] architects to look at Inform 7 -- most particularly, at its IDE. Inform 7 (the site for which currently appears to be offline -- temporarily, I hope) is the most recent incarnation of the Inform programming language for writing interactive fiction. Originally an attempt to reverse-engineer Infocom's Z-code, Inform was re-written from the ground up for Inform 6 to give it scope and capabilities far beyond anything Infocom ever envisioned -- and then completely re-written again to create Inform 7, a natural language development system. Inform 7 includes the most amazing IDE I've ever seen, allowing the user to move seamlessly among different representations of the game under development while offering context-dependent assistance and support. It's a truly remarkable implementation, one I feel worthy of far more attention and emulation than it's received.
[Mar 4, 2016, 4:35:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

...Maybe this link is interesting? http://terrain.party/ ...
Hans
In a totally different context I was told that NL and probably others now share and aggregate different geographic data-sets. I did not get the details, but apparently the data should be open for use. I did not have time to explore further, but jotted down a link oscity.eu oscity.nl - neither of which I can get through to right now. But I did find the demo video from Holland with 5cm contour lines at https://vimeo.com/114556973.

Even if I managed to find the data-sets, transforming them to decent 3D terrain models would be beyond me, not to mention that 5cm resolution is way too detailed for any processing power I have. What is interesting though, is that based on these data-sets it should be possible to generate very accurate terrain models for use with SH3D.

ok
[Mar 8, 2016, 12:41:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Ok,

Interesting link. Their website oscity.eu seems to be down. Last activity on their website was in February 2016. Strange...

H
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Mar 8, 2016, 1:36:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

It is kind of strange it is down, but a compatriot of yours managed to pull it up on his laptop Thursday last week to show me, so it may be temporary. Either way, the data are out there somewhere - so maybe someone will come up with how to create surveyor quality terrains for SH3D. ok
[Mar 8, 2016, 2:02:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

http://www.oscity.eu/ is up an running again. Hosting centre wiring problem apparently. ok
[Mar 13, 2016, 10:19:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Thanks for pointing out that oscity.eu is online again. After some searching I found the data source.

Unless I am very much mistaken, here you can find the files. These are zipped TIFF-files. They look like grayscale images that can be convertedeto height data/maps.
They are pretty much completely white, but remember: 1 meter is a hill, and 10 meters is a mountain in the Netherlands.

In the coming days, I will try and make some sense of this.
To be continued...

H
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Mar 13, 2016, 11:34:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Looking very much forward to any report on any result you might get.

There are some open geodata repositories in different countries. Unfortunately the ones I have tried are annoyingly difficult to extract and convert to terrain objects. But that may just be me.

In a perfect world, the EU would succeed with the Open Data policies to an extent where SH3D (a plugin) could extract general terrain based on the compass location (even if I have few expectations this will happen any time soon smile).

IF so, however, the SH3D (location) compass should probably allow for higher accuracy than the three digit Lat/Long. If my rough estimation does not let me down, the three digit location implies a possible North/South inaccuracy of some 111,12 metres. Plenty good enough for sun rendering, but not sufficient for accurate geodata. It goes without saying that this hardly is a priority wish.

ok
[Mar 14, 2016, 10:56:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved