Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 9
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2955 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
maplelandhomes

Canada
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
How to creat two different textures on the same wall?

Need your help:
I am trying to create two different textures on exterior wall (lower part and upper part of the wall), but couldn't find any features in the "modify wall option". May anyone help me out?. Thanks
[Feb 21, 2016, 3:24:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Re: How to creat two different textures on the same wall?

Why not use a (high and narrow) baseboard (SH3D 5.0 or later)? You can use one texture for the baseboard and one for the (rest of the) wall. The alternative is to use a texture scaled to the height of the wall, with two different textures on it.

This pictures shows both the baseboard (albeit a low one) AND a texture with two different colours. ok

[Feb 21, 2016, 8:43:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mazoola
Advanced Member

USA

You have several options; which you choose will depend on how well they mesh with other parts of your plan:

1. create an image in Photoshop, GIMP, Pixlr.com, or the like containing both colors or textures and map that against the wall. For instance, if the wall is 8 feet high, and you want one texture on the lower 5 feet and the second on the top 3 feet, the bottom 5/8 of your image would have the lower texture and the top 3/8 the second. Draw your wall, double-click on it to bring up the wall properties window, select 'Texture,' select 'Import,' import the image you just created, and set the size so that the height equals 8 feet.

2. Assuming you don't also need a baseboard on the wall, you can create a baseboard of minimal thickness (1 mm, I believe, is the thinnest) and any height less than or equal to the wall height. For instance, to duplicate the wall from my first example, you could create a baseboard 1 mm thick and 5 feet high, with the lower texture mapped to it. The upper texture you would map against the wall itself.

3. It's a little more complicated because of the way SH3D handles floors, but you *could* create (again, to match the earlier examples) a 5-foot-high room with a floor but no ceiling, with a 3-foot-high room with a ceiling but no floor and texture the walls appropriately. (Actually, walls in the upper room should be set to a height of 3 feet minus your floor thickness.) This is probably the least convenient method of splitting a wall between two textures, but in some circumstances it may actually prove simplest. (For instance, if both desired textures are seamless textures of very different proportions -- making it difficult to create a 'two-fer' texture including both -- and you need a baseboard as well.)

There are probably other ways to accomplish this -- SH3D rarely limits you to only a single solution, allowing you to choose whichever approach feels most comfortable and works best with the rest of your plan -- but these are the three that first come to [my] mind.

Maz

P.S. Actually, I just thought of a fourth, but as it's even less elegant than the last one, I think I'll stop with three.
[Feb 21, 2016, 9:24:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
maplelandhomes

Canada

Thank you to you all. I will try all methods. If anyone has any other methods of creating the different texture on the same wall, please list it here.
[Feb 21, 2016, 5:58:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
maplelandhomes

Canada

How can i change the scale height of the texture on the same wall? Please show me the instruction. I tried to go to Modified wall, but can't find that option
[Feb 23, 2016, 5:46:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Scaling images is in the material dialogue - modify texture (and dialogue you get when you import textures). But it may not work on all textures (not the ones from libraries that come with a set size).

But it does work when you import textures. You cannot, however, change the proportions, only the scale. For more advanced editing, you need to use a graphics editor.

A good hint is to stay with relatively small textures (< 512x512 pixels).

ok

PS - If you want to scale a texture with set size from a library, you can apply that texture to any object, select the object, use 3D view, Export to OBJ. Then the texture file will be saved as a separate file, and you can import that texture and scale it as much as you like.
[Feb 23, 2016, 8:30:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
maplelandhomes

Canada

Thank you OKH. That is a smart move
[Feb 24, 2016, 1:38:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
cbuz

Would be much simpler having "Elevation" parameter available for texture and color. Do you think is a difficult implementation?
[Feb 29, 2016, 9:51:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
maplelandhomes

Canada

Adjusting elevation of texture method is easier, but exporting the fixed texture from 3D and importing back so you can able to adjust the elevation is time consuming.
[Mar 1, 2016, 9:29:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved