Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 31
Posts: 31   Pages: 4   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 26257 times and has 30 replies Next Thread
okh
Advanced Member

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: What am I doing wrong?

Treating cow skin disease: First of all, remove that horrid lipstick. While cow proportions are good, I doubt the designer ever had stick his hand in a cow's mouth.

What seems to work when exporting .dae from Sketchup, is to:
- Select all and explode all groups/components,
- Repeat until there are no groups/components,
- Use Materials (In model) dialogue to select one material at the time,
- Use Entity Info dialogue and apply same material to both surfaces (in the case off the cows, the reverse side is unassigned).
- Repeat for each material (Model Info, Statistics, Purge unused, makes this easier).

Export the model (without checking option Export Two Sided Faces) and import to SH3D. As far as I can tell, from a very quick rendering test, there is no bleed-through or skin disease. However, I have not checked whether the model contains wrongly oriented normals - and I have not experimented with orienting faces in Sketchup. But at least, it seems the model works reasonably well in SH3D.

ok

PS - there are other ways of selecting all surfaces with the same material in Sketchup too - which is more convenient depends on the model.
[Feb 7, 2016, 10:21:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
DiabolikHinata

Italia
applause Re: What am I doing wrong?

Hi to all, this is my first post, i'm new in this forum, and also using sh3d!
First of all.... NICE WORK ceciliabr! applause
I think you're doing nothing wrong! of course i say that from the bottom of my knowledge... :P
just one question, for you or for someone who can help me (i think i can open a new thread by the way) : where did you find those spotllight??? i mean... how do you import an external 3d, object, with the light attributes? confused when i import a new furniture, for example, a lamp downloaded from internet, how can i "say" to the program that there is a light source?

I've tried to solve this problem in other way, for example putting a light source into a cone and making it an almost-spotlight but... is possible that there isn't a way to import directly a lamp with light source? Thank you
[Feb 16, 2016, 5:23:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

Hi,

I make most of my models from scratch.
The downlights are real simple, tree elements: An open cylinder with a ring around the bottom and a closed cylinder to seal the top ( to prevent the light from hitting the ceiling). Export it as an obj-file, and import it using the import furniture option. If you tick the "Staircase"-box, you can elevate them into the ceiling. You have to place a light-source in it afterwards, since obj-files don't support lights. In use the incandescent light and scale it to 2cm. The higher you put the, the more focused the light beam becomes... obviously.
[Feb 17, 2016, 4:31:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

In case U need it:

http://ceciliabr.com/UC/Cylinder open.mtl

http://ceciliabr.com/UC/Cylinder open.obj

Here is a transparent png-file. You will find it very usefull, I'm sure smile

http://ceciliabr.com/UC/Transparent.png
[Feb 17, 2016, 4:50:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

Opp! Broken link
n case U need it:

http://ceciliabr.com/UC/Cylinder_open.mtl

http://ceciliabr.com/UC/Cylinder_open.obj

Here is a transparent png-file. You will find it very usefull, I'm sure smile

http://ceciliabr.com/UC/Transparent.png
[Feb 17, 2016, 4:51:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Ceciliabr has got it right. This is of course a much more direct way of doing it than messing around with the .sh3f properties and the result is the same if you stick to normal light colours.

ok
[Feb 17, 2016, 4:57:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
korence

Thanks for your such nice post, guys.
[Feb 19, 2016, 3:28:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Maz,

In theory, 1024x over-sampling using (aa = 5) should result in even additional improvement

I decided to try this out. Indeed it works, but you have to be patient.
Even this small 400x300 pixels image took several hours to render with settings aa=55. Especially the glasses take VERY long. See below for results.

aa11

aa33

aa55

----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Edit 1 times, last edit by hansmex at Feb 19, 2016, 6:26:42 AM]
[Feb 19, 2016, 6:21:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mazoola
Advanced Member

USA

Hans -

Thanks for the tests! I suspect my problem is memory size; I'm still running 32-bit XP on this machine, and the one time I gave it several hours to process, the render routine simply returned the 'start' button active, which SH3D appears to do after some types of failure. (I have a garage door object I brutally hacked into size with Sketchup in the days before I knew how to use Sketchup, the mere presence of which anywhere in a home plan manages to kill any render of any scene in the plan.) As best I can tell -- and I've only looked at the stock SunFlow source, not the bugfixed version Emmanuel includes -- any value greater than 5 is set to 5, so that should be the maximum over-sample available.

I think I've identified where the potential problems with aa = 11 arise, but I'm up against my current understanding of vector math *and* Java syntax, so I need to study some more before I can move on.

Thanks,
maz
[Feb 20, 2016, 12:37:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Maz,

A few stats...
- Image size was 400*300 pixels
- Render time estimated 3 hours on a six core machine, no other jobs running
- SH3D assigned 4.0 Gb of memory (but declares only 3.6), of which during rendering 2.5 Gb was used

Impressive stats for such a small image.

H
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Edit 1 times, last edit by hansmex at Feb 20, 2016, 1:19:45 AM]
[Feb 20, 2016, 1:03:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 31   Pages: 4   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved