Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 31
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 26252 times and has 30 replies Next Thread
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
What am I doing wrong?

This is my rendered picture:

http://ceciliabr.com/pics/Kitchen-rendered.png

This is the un-rendered picture, like it shows in the 3d-view:

http://ceciliabr.com/pics/Kitchen-un-rendered.png

I have done beautiful renderings earlier, with only a few white spots which I am fully capable of handling, and I see other peoples renderings in here, and everyone seem to avoid these massive attacs of artifacts – like the ones you can see in and around the fireplace where tings are getting pretty blurry, and under the wall clock and so on. I'm sure you can spot the, all. And on the chair to the left, and only the one on the left, which is a copy of the one just right of it... there are too many white spots to get rid of with spot healing i Photoshop.
At first I thought it had something to do with the shinyness,so I reduced it to zero where the problems occured, but as you can see, the tabletop is now a 100% shiny, and does not have any white spots or blur at all, and strangely, the white spots on the chair are not reflected om the tabletop.

So there must be something I'm doing wrong here...

Thankful for every input.

Cheers,

Cecilia
[Jan 24, 2016, 4:45:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Re: What am I doing wrong?

A beautiful rendering anyway. And very nice room. Noticed these whitish spots in some of my renderings as well. Not figured out (or been to concerned) with how to deal with them, but the plugin #13 Advanced settings of photo rendering, also discussed in thread 6122, might be of use to remove them.

The spots may - and now I am totally out of my depth - be related to the causticsPhotons settings. and those can be adjusted with the plugin. But that is about as far as I came. causticsPhotons is a Danish algorithm apparently - but Greek to me nonetheless...

But if anyone could explain the phenomenon, I would also be interested in finding out more about this. So please post any solution.

ok
[Jan 25, 2016, 8:28:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

Ah, thank you!
I have downloaded the plugin and will try some settings and see how it works out.

Cecilia
[Jan 25, 2016, 11:06:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Then I certainly hope I am not wrong and waste your time. But good luck, and please report back. From 6122#26901 it appears the value must be set very high (Caustics photons count... ..higher than 1000000 to obtain some visible effect...). But then again, I am far out of my comfort zone here. So an enlightened opinion/explanation would be nice.

ok
[Jan 25, 2016, 11:19:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

No, you're not wasting my time, not at all :)
Here is what I've been doing ( amongst playing with my 18 months old daughter)
First I made a new room containing elements that produced a lot of white spots with normal rendering.
After adjusting the CP to 1000000 I got this result:
http://ceciliabr.com/pics/testing_whitespots.png

After having tried different settings, and some settings which even my 12-core Mac Pro was able to process within reasonable time, I ended up with this setting:

http://ceciliabr.com/pics/Settings.jpg

and it produced this:

http://ceciliabr.com/pics/testing_whitespots-glossy.png

Then I tried the same setting om my kitchen ( which yesterday took about about an hour, but with this setting was done in about 30 mins.):

http://ceciliabr.com/pics/Kitchen_render_3.png

A lot better.

Thank you so much! :)

Cec
[Jan 25, 2016, 4:25:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

... well, in a hurry: "which even my 12-core Mac Pro was UNable to process(of course)"
[Jan 25, 2016, 4:32:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Great it worked. Which was more challenging your daughter or the rendering? smile Anyway, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to trying myself.

Just for the record, it is enkonyito, the plugin developer, who deserves the credit here.

ok

PS Your interiors and renderings are absolutely stunning, certainly some of the best I have seen around here ...
PPS ..så fantastiske at jeg er nysgjerrig på om det er et sted i virkelighetens København. Men siden jeg selv neppe ville svart på et slikt spørsmål, så spør jeg da heller ikke. Men for noen bilder!
[Jan 25, 2016, 5:14:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

Thank you!

Enhver fantasi er baseret i virkeligheden. Mennesket kan ikke konstruere noget, der ikke består af kendte elementer :)

Alt godt,

Cec
[Jan 25, 2016, 6:24:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mazoola
Advanced Member

USA

Cecilia -

I've been running a number of tests with SH3D and the SunFlow engine regarding the 'white spot' problem, and I was wondering if I could ask a favor of you... Could you re-render your kitchen scene again -- at the same resolution as you did earlier -- at maximum quality, and with only these two changes to the rendering parameters:

antiAliasing.min = 0
antiAliasing.max = 4

Afterwards, please post the resulting image to this thread.

I've been discovering a number of interesting quirks in how the rendering engine interprets different scenes and objects, and having the output from your scene would help me greatly. I hope to have some guidelines for managing the dreaded white spots -- and, possibly, a request or two of Emmanuel smile -- ready in the next day or two.

Thanks!
maz
[Jan 27, 2016, 8:40:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Maz,

I ran a few tests on one of my designs, which had some white spots.
1 - standard Q4 = aa 1,2
2 - your advice Q4 = aa 0,4
3 - and also Q4 = aa 0,8
All three settings gave near identical results.
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Jan 27, 2016, 12:12:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved