Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 8
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7492 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
lilalur

United Kingdom
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
smile Floordrob, chairdrob, rubish and mesh

All of us know these things. We would like to living in catalogue homes but the truth is we leave our stuff behind us everywhere. I would be happy to see dropped clothes, rugs, blankets...etc in the house. Is there any way to find these (Or if you can give me a tutorial how to create these things I would be happy as well :) )
[Nov 24, 2015, 12:20:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Re: Floordrob, chairdrob, rubish and mesh

The thought has struck me too! Somehow even the original teenager room looks beautiful in the drawing. However, to me that is a bit of a relief. I am sure you could find stuff in the 3D warehouse if you look for specific stuff.

Just designing a closet in a utility room now, it may also have a washing machine and a sewing machine. But the key point was to calculate the doors to be designed in MDF and where to place the doors/opening so there is sufficient room for suitcases, hanging suits and dresses and place plastic storage boxes. In short, make the closet work for tidying things up...

Put some models I made for this in SF 3D models 379 - file called tidy.sh3d

ok

[Nov 26, 2015, 9:14:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

As I am finishing the storage room project, I found some other stuff related to storage. A wheelie bin, garden storage box for cushions etc . I made three plain storage shelf racks based on the most common inexpensive models available in local DIY outlets (around € 25) - just to test whether and how they would fit in the wardrobe. Two wood, and one metal/wood.

SF 3D models 379 again: file tidy2.sh3d

ok

[Dec 3, 2015, 9:01:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mazoola
Advanced Member

USA

Also, a little digging around on 3dWarehouse will often turn up models of casually discarded towels, discarded clothing, crumpled paper, and the like. However, rather than searching for, say, "dress on the floor," in my experience one is more likely to find such things as components of a related collection. (This is also a good way to delve into models by contributors who don't necessarily cater to your particular language.)

For instance, recently I was in the market for a bed -- and, as one might expect, began by searching for 'bed.' Once I found a likely candidate, I made certain to open any "collections that contain this model," as listed towards the bottom of the page. Quite a few of the bed- or bedroom-oriented collections contain models of bedclothing alone or of an item of bedclothing lying in a heap. In addition, there are several bed models that include a bathrobe tossed casually across the bedspread that presumably could be extracted and used elsewhere, as well as a number of models labelled "unmade bed," "badly made bed," and the like.

One caveat: Most disorderly, complex Sketchup models -- for instance, those of pillows or bedclothes -- if simply imported directly into SweetHome3D will render as a fragmented patchwork of (typically) the material color and white. This is because the surface of the item will often be a hodge-podge of Sketchup primary and secondary faces. In Sketchup, as long as all outward-facing, um, faces are uniformly colored, the object will display as a solid color; however, sh3d will display each component face that makes up the surface in its assigned color. Most Sketchup objects have faces with one colored face and one unassigned or default face; sh3d renders default faces as white, resulting in the material-color-and-white dappling.

At the bottom of this post I've attached two images illustrating this issue. The bedclothing in this object originated with a model from either 3DWarehouse or SketchupTextures. The first image shows the default, uncorrected render; the second image shows the render after uniformly coloring the primary and secondary faces that make up the bedclothing's surfaces. (I should note the effect, while unintended, can often turn out quite appealingly -- and in some cases even preferable to the "correct" rendering.)

Fortunately, a simple fix for this problem exists: Rather than downloading the object in its already-exported KMZ or Collada format, instead download it as a Sketchup object. Then, using Sketchup or Sketchup Make (available for free), open the object, select the surface in question, and color all of its faces, primary and secondary alike, uniformly. After eliminating its undefined faces, export the model as a 3D object (typically in KMZ format) and import that object as a new item of furniture into sh3d.

Fortunately, only the barest of Sketchup proficiency is required to carry out these steps. Sketchup has an admirably intuitive UI; typically, to correct such problems, all that is required is to repeatedly click on the desired surface until it is selected, as indicated by its being shown with a grid of tiny blue dots overlaid upon it. At this point the Entity window (Window > Entity) should display two rectangles labeled 'Faces'. Clicking either of the rectangles will open a drop-down menu showing each color or texture currently used by the model; scroll throw the swatches until you find the desired color or texture; select it; and click 'OK.' Repeat for the other face.

Secondary face default texture:

Both faces uniformly colored/textured:

[Dec 3, 2015, 4:12:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

..all that is required is to repeatedly click on the desired surface until it is selected, as indicated by its being shown with a grid of tiny blue dots overlaid upon it...
There are shortcuts to selecting material in Sketchup, the easiest probably being the right-click context-menu that lets you select all with same material (but it does not select material in components and groups). And yes, much to be found in the 3D warehouse, some models are brilliant, but quite a few badly designed ones too. For use with SH3D, watch out for size. ok
[Dec 3, 2015, 6:51:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mazoola
Advanced Member

USA

Unfortunately, 'select all with same material' doesn't seem to work on undefined or default faces -- that is, at least as of Sketchup 8, which is the version I currently use. (Although I'm not exactly sure why that is. I seem to recall the free version of Sketchup 8 includes certain functionality that subsequently exists only in the Pro versions of later releases -- but it's been so long since I had to decide which version to use, I don't recall the details.)

For use with SH3D, watch out for size.

I quite cheerfully ignore Emmanuel's no doubt sage advice regarding the sizes of both models and textures. Undoubtedly by doing so I only make things more difficult and less reliable -- but I find it nearly impossible to create photo-realistic images otherwise. (Not that SH3D was originally intended to be used to create photo-realistic images -- but it does such a good job of it so easily, I can't help myself. smile )
[Dec 3, 2015, 9:43:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

.. ignore Emmanuel's no doubt sage advice regarding the sizes of both models and textures...
Oh, I agree, for better rendering it is often good to use more elaborate models. However, there is not always a direct relation between size and quality, some models are not huge because of beautiful small details, but just because they are a mess of badly put together surfaces. But of course, there is nothing wrong in using large file models or large textures if your computer can cope. ok
[Dec 5, 2015, 4:15:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
lilalur

United Kingdom

Thanks. Since these few weeks I was explored the 3D warehouse and I found many really nice models. I see how you mean watch out the size. Some huge one makes my renders slow as hell.

I still can't find any of my original wish (clothes on the ground like a drop down shirt or trousers) I tried to watch in collections as most of the search just gave me unrelated results... actually finding a single office chair is hard when you just put in office chair, you should work hard for the better ones ;).

The question or wish is still alive: Can you give me a hint where can I find some drop down clothes (even if you found some in the warehouse and can drop me with a link I would be thankful)
And of course thanks for the tips I learned a lot from you guys.
[Dec 19, 2015, 11:57:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved