Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 22
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 47018 times and has 21 replies Next Thread
mazoola
Advanced Member

USA
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Suddenly, huge file size...

FYI, I opened the 500+ Mbyte .sh3d file with the recursive save and replaced the furniture item containing a reference to a texture used in an object (that is, as opposed to textures accessed through the texture picker window) with a corrected item, and re-saved the file -- which suddenly shrank to 253 Mb. biggrin

So, yeah -- I think you've got this one figured out.

Many, many thanks!
[Jan 8, 2016, 1:40:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Suddenly, huge file size...

Hi,

I recently was in contact with a user of Sweet Home 3D who uses very often the list of recent textures in the textures choice dialog box to copy a texture from a material of an object to a different one. She used this tip so often with versions of Sweet Home 3D older than 5.2 that some of her files were larger than 50 GB! This is not a typo, you correctly read GB and not MB! rolling eyes
Beside the amazing fact that Sweet Home 3D was still able to read and write such huge files (with a lot of patience), I couldn't let her continue to lose her time on this bug. There was no problem with brand new files made with version 5.2, but as soon as she copied/pasted some objects coming from sh3d files designed with older versions, there was a risk that the final file get uselessly huge.
As she wasn't able to fix the .sh3d files by herself, I finally programmed a small tool named Huge File Cleaner that removes useless entries in her .sh3d files. She successfully tested this tool on different files (which are now always smaller than 100 MB), that's why I propose this tool here (7 KB - source code included) too, in case you encounter the same problem.
The tool is a Jar executable file, so once downloaded, just double click on it to launch it if Java is installed on your computer. The tool will request you to select a .sh3d file to fix, will analyze the file, and if it founds a potential issue, it will request to select another .sh3d file where the fixed file will be saved (files must be different). Then, starts the operation that copies only necessary files from the buggy .sh3d to the destination file. At the end, just check the saved file in Sweet Home 3D.
Note that the destination file is always compressed, so it may be much smaller just because the original file wasn't compressed.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[May 11, 2016, 9:29:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved