Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 17
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 11610 times and has 16 replies Next Thread
HawkDawg
Advanced Member

USA
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
SH3D Memory Usage

I have another question. biggrin

Reading the FAQ I found this:
and the installer version uses 1024 MB at maximum except under Windows where it's still 640 MB (this maximum is displayed in the About dialog box). For the installer version, you can change this number by udpating the value of the -Xmx Java option, as follows:

Under Windows, create a text file named SweetHome3D.l4j.ini in the same folder as SweetHome3D.exe, write the max memory Java option in that file, for example -Xmx700m for 700 MB, then relaunch Sweet Home 3D. For a value higher than 700 MB, tested as the highest value under which Sweet Home 3D can run safely on a 32-bit Windows computer with little RAM,

I'm a little confused about this.

I run XP 32-bit with 4 GB of installed RAM (Windows only recognizes 2.8 GB due to having 2 video cards installed).
In the About window, SH3D says 1 GB Max.

So is my current max memory usage 640 MB or 1 GB?
----------------------------------------
Hawk
[Oct 7, 2015, 9:49:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
HawkDawg
Advanced Member

USA
Re: SH3D Memory Usage

I guess I should mention that my processor is an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ AM2 - 2.4 GHz and the video cards are both EVGA GeForce 7600 GT KO 256 MB.
Hawk
[Oct 7, 2015, 9:53:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ElfenM

I do not know if this is Version 5 or version 5.1; but I'm using 5.0...

Given that, from what I read in the FAQ, User Guide and posts here the max SH3D should take is 2GB of RAM from the system. But that is the max; if your system is less than 2GB (like my PowerPC G4 and G5 systems where they average 512MB) it only takes a percentage of the RAM it needs to run; I'm figuring about 25% of total RAM. This I find is more than enough to build a small to medium house. I done 2 and 3 level houses with 3 and 4 bedrooms, each level space at about 1200 sq ft on this set up. This includes a basement. I'll admit though, it does slow down for some calculations.

It does not use the GPU or its RAM for calculations and 3D View generation like on some video games. In my case, they are ATi or nVidia video options with either 32 or 64 MB; PowerPC Macs were around from 1998 to 2008; my machines are from around 2005 to 2008.

As for PCs, my systems are Intel Duo Core or dual CPU systems running XP or Vista, with about 1.5GB of RAM, though I do have a couple P4s on XP with 512MB to 1GB; and find them about the same as my G4 PowerPC Macs.
[Oct 7, 2015, 3:54:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

HawkDawg, I updated the FAQ because the first sentence you reported wasn't true anymore. With the latest versions of Sweet Home 3D installer, the max memory is set to 2 GB under 64-bit Windows and 640 MB under 32-bit Windows. This value is indicated in the About dialog.
Caution : I think that if you run a 32-bit Windows system on a 64-bit processor, Windows will let programs run in 32-bit mode only.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Oct 7, 2015, 5:59:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
HawkDawg
Advanced Member

USA

and 640 MB under 32-bit Windows. This value is indicated in the About dialog.

That's what I'm confused about. My About window shows 1 GB Max.

Caution : I think that if you run a 32-bit Windows system on a 64-bit processor, Windows will let programs run in 32-bit mode only.

This is correct. I'm fully aware of that. wink
It was the best suited processor available for my motherboard, for my needs at the time, way back when I built this rig about 7 years ago.
Hawk
[Oct 7, 2015, 9:25:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
HawkDawg
Advanced Member

USA

I don't see a way to edit posts but I do have the installer version.

Sorry for not including this in my previous post. blushing
Hawk
[Oct 7, 2015, 9:28:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
digitaltrails

New Zealand

The Oracle Java Virtual Machine in a Windows 32 bit environment is limited to under 1.5GB. The exact limit, and how close you can push to that limit, will vary depending on what you are doing in Windows. The JVM requires contiguous memory and Windows may not have this much unallocated contiguous memory to spare.

I suspect the 1GB max is an attempt to pick a safe value for 32 bit Windows.

and 640 MB under 32-bit Windows. This value is indicated in the About dialog.

That's what I'm confused about. My About window shows 1 GB Max.

This is correct. I'm fully aware of that. wink
It was the best suited processor available for my motherboard, for my needs at the time, way back when I built this rig about 7 years ago.

[Oct 7, 2015, 10:53:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
HawkDawg
Advanced Member

USA

OK! Thanks! So I'm guessing I shouldn't try to adjust the memory limit as described in the FAQ. Just leave it as is.

I've not run into any problems yet. I was just curious.
Hawk
[Oct 7, 2015, 11:35:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
digitaltrails

New Zealand

OK! Thanks! So I'm guessing I shouldn't try to adjust the memory limit as described in the FAQ. Just leave it as is.

I've not run into any problems yet. I was just curious.

Setting a 32bit JVM to 1GB is pretty reasonable. Plus a 32bit JVM is more frugal with memory because all reference pointers are smaller. If the operating system cannot supply sufficient contiguous RAM, the JVM will terminate on start-up. Even at less than 1GB the JVM may still sometimes fail to start because of what else is running and how memory has been allocated by Windows (but I would only expect this if you were running lots of memory hungry stuff).

If the max is too low for size of your model, the JVM will probably become jerky or sluggish as it starts to devote more and more CPU time to garbage-collecting (looking for and recycling anything that has been freed up). If that were to occur you could try pushing towards 1.5GB.
[Oct 8, 2015, 3:46:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

For your information, the 640 MB to 700 MB value I recommended in the past was based on actual tests I made on my side, with a large sh3d file.
HawkDawg, I'm astonished that the about dialog shows 1 GB max for you. You added a SweetHome3D.l4j.ini with a -Xmx parameter, right?
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Oct 8, 2015, 10:18:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved