Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 7
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1963 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
LindaCRH

USA
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Questions from a Prospective Buyer

Hello, I am looking for an app that will help me with an exterior home improvement project. I ran across this in the Mac App Store and thought it might be what I'm looking for.

I live on a 2 acre lot that is governed by an HOA, and county regulations regarding exterior projects. We are installing a fence around the rear of the property - enclosing about 1 acre. They require specific types of drawings for approval and I do not know how to produce these drawings. I was hoping to find an app that could produce drawings.

Here are the things I need from an app:

1. Drawings of an overhead plan - bird's eye view of the property
2. Sectional drawings showing a close-up of the fence posts and the post foundation.
3. Elevation drawings that show the house from both the front and side perspective.

Please help me determine if this program is what I am looking for or if I need something different.

Thank you!
[Sep 15, 2015, 5:51:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Questions from a Prospective Buyer

In the current version of Sweet Home 3D, you may simulate more or less an elevation view by choosing a very far point of view and a small view angle, but the program doesn't let you see real sectional and elevation drawings using an orthographic projection.
If you want to see if it's enough for your needs, use the free version available at download page. As explained here, the GNU GPL free version of Sweet Home 3D isn't a limited version that would offer less features than the Mac App Store version.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Sep 18, 2015, 8:17:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
LindaCRH

USA

Thank you. I purchased the program and, while it is a fun toy, I found it isn't appropriate for my needs. I am hiring an engineer to do this as he has already done plans, sectionals and elevations for a garage expansion project. He tells me that it will be an inexpensive and simple matter to add in fence drawings.
[Sep 18, 2015, 3:18:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
LindaCRH

USA

Also, from what I have seen in the paid version, the scenarios are almost all interior views, while my project is an exterior. Since I have 2 acres that I am fencing, I couldn't even get the property to represent in the program because it is simply too big.
[Sep 18, 2015, 3:25:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

If you zoom out, you'll see that you can handle a surface as big as the one you wish, even if it's not the perfect tool for that.
Anyway, thank you for supporting Sweet Home 3D by buying a paid version.
[Sep 18, 2015, 9:48:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
LindaCRH

USA

Thanks! I'll give it a try and if I can get a good looking elevation drawing, I can send it to the HOA. All they can do is say "no" and at that point I can pay the engineer to product the real thing.

I did notice the zoom out feature, but it wasn't enough. Am I understanding correctly that it is possible to zoom even farther out?

Also, my property is lopsided to North, South, East, and West. Can the North Arrow be repositioned to correctly represent orientation?
[Sep 18, 2015, 10:41:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

The North arrow can be moved, resized and oriented. Just select it and use its indicators as explained in the included help.
[Sep 20, 2015, 10:26:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved