Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 8
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6078 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
Hollako

Lebanon
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Modification Inside a Group

Hello Sirs,

First i want to say that i really LOVE your software and it helping me so much by doing my sweet real home.

Now about the feature that i would like to use it in the software is to edit the objects inside a group.

When i group lets say lights with furniture or what ever else, i am obliged to ungroup it to modify the intensity of lights.

Even if a group of lights only, i should ungroup it to modify lights.

So please again if the objects inside a group can be modified individually, this can help so much.

Best Regards,

smile
[Apr 14, 2015, 8:23:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
storm88

Re: Modification Inside a Group

agreed, this would be very helpful
[Apr 15, 2015, 8:25:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ELITE83

+1 поддерживаю это необходимо!
[Apr 15, 2015, 9:08:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

The main problems are to:
- add a new behavior for the user to let him select an individual item in a group and/or a subgroup
- find a way to show the selection of an item of a group, in the plan and in the furniture list
- decide what modifications are allowed on an item that may alter its group (only rotations, moves or any change)

I just tested in MS Word and OmniGraffle how selecting an item in a group is handled:

- in MS Word drawing module, selecting an item in a group is done by clicking on its group, then after a delay longer than the one used for double-clicks, by clicking on the item (possibly using shift to select one more item). The selected group and the item selected in that group use similar rectangles drawn in the same color, but the rectangle shown around the group is larger than the limit of the group:

so in case the selected item is the same size as the group itself, you can make the difference between a selected item and its group if he wants to move or resize either ones:

Once the item you want to change is selected, you may change it location, size and rotation with the mouse, and other parameters like color with other tools.

- in OmniGraffle, selecting an item in a group is done the same way as in MS Word, but a selected group and an item selected in a group are displayed differently (white vs grey background around the selected group, and light blue line vs dark grey dotted line, like in the following screen captures):

Once the item you want to change is selected, OmniGraffle lets you resize it with the mouse but not move or rotate it (you can still edit its location and angle with a separate dialog).

MS Word doesn't handle changes of subgroups and you can subselect only final drawings (but changing the size of such an item will alter the size of the subgroup it belongs too). OmniGraffle lets you select a subgroup by clicking on it like other items. Then, if you want to select an item in that subgroup, you have to click again on that item (a little like if you want to unbury it). Once selected, the selection rectangles appear like in the following image where you can see that the white background is reserved for the parent subgroup:

MS Word doesn't propose a list of the drawings you made, so there's no problem about how to select and display a selected item in a group shown in a list.
OmniGraffle proposes that list but you can't select an individual item in that list, and an item of a group selected in the main window isn't displayed as selected in the list (see in the following image):

I don't like too much this lack of synchronization in selection feedback between the main window and the list of drawings, because it feels a little buggy.

As you can see, this isn't as simple as it looks like, but I'm willing to improve Sweet Home 3D on this point.
Please, don't hesitate to make suggestions now to choose the best solution (and the simplest to program), and later to give some feedback about this feature if it appears to ensure I didn't forget some weird cases.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Apr 15, 2015, 10:18:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

The easy workaround:
- add a new level
- copy group to new level
- ungroup, modify, regroup
- copy back to original level

This workaround makes use of the fact that an item copied to another level appears in exactly the same position as the original.

I can think of several other improvements that (in my view) deserve priority.

Hans
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Apr 15, 2015, 10:48:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
storm88

the workaround works, but is not perfect if you want to place parts of group relative to other furniture/walls etc + you have to rename the group every time you group it.

I propose that editing inside group would internally ungroup the furniture and after editing is finished it would regroup it again preserving the original name.
[Apr 15, 2015, 12:03:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Thanks Hans for this nice workaround wink

I propose that editing inside group would internally ungroup the furniture [...]
storm88, it's not how to program the change of an item that bothers me, but rather ergonomics, to ensure that all users will be able to handle the selection of an item in a group nicely. I wished that you could guess it from the long message I posted this morning. sad
(don't worry too much, I wrote it also as reminder for myself)
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Apr 15, 2015, 4:57:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Hollako

Lebanon

Anyway thank you for you effort. I know that a small modification needs a lot of developments from your side. if this feature can be done in the future or no the software still great for me.

Best Regards and keep up the good work.
[Apr 21, 2015, 9:32:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved