Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 31
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 41941 times and has 30 replies Next Thread
slimpy

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Reality Check

While designing the interior of our new flat (see kitchen images posted earlier) I was wondering how realistic the rendered images would be.
I then decided to find out by modeling our current living room.
This is how it turned out:

full size

full size

Scene facts:
- 17 light sources
- 16 custom-made furniture models, including fireplace and window
- 4 adapted models
- 4 stock models
- render time at best quality, 3200x2133px approx. 2 hours

It is probably safe to say that the right furniture and some clever lighting you can come pretty close to reality. The lighting is a tricky part and especially difficult if you don't have anything real to compare to, e.g. when modeling a house that has yet to be built.

Hope you enjoy!

Best, slimpy
[Dec 31, 2014, 3:08:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: Reality Check

Astonishing!! Really astonishing!! First thought was: Why would you post the same image twice...? :-)

By (partly) using incandescent or even fireglow light bulbs, you may get a slightly yellower lighting. That would approach the original even closer. You could try 1-2 bulbs of 100x100x100 cms (or even larger) at a low strength setting.

Hans
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Dec 31, 2014, 4:58:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

You found a very nice way to end a successful year. Thanks for posting these amazing images. smile

Best wishes for 2015 to you all clown
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Dec 31, 2014, 6:26:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bitacovir

People who work professionally in Architectural visualisation generally make post-process of the images (once they are been rendered with their 3D modeller program) using Photoshop. I mean, the only render never is enough for a realistic or final high quality image. So, if you want to improve the final render with photoshop, to get a more realistic result, just go on. It is a standard practice in arch-vis.
[Dec 31, 2014, 11:44:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
slimpy

Thank you Hans.

I already use incandescent light sources only. As you can see from the floor plan I make use of large ambient lights (power between 5% and 20%) already extensively.

The trouble with ambient light sources is that you want them to be as large as possible to have soft shadows but you also don't want them to be too close to the ceiling, floor or furniture to avoid obvious lighter spots and reflections.
If you look closely at the rendered image you notice a large white reflection on the floor just left of the bumber car. This reflection is caused by the ambient light in front of the fireplace even though this light is at 10% power only!
Getting the lights right is very time consuming because you have to render again at the best quality setting after every change. Even at very low resolutions this takes a few minutes.

I haven't tried any fireglow lights yet. I might give them a try when I've got some time. Thanks for the tip.

Best, slimpy
[Jan 1, 2015, 2:18:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
slimpy

You found a very nice way to end a successful year. Thanks for posting these amazing images. smile

Best wishes for 2015 to you all clown

Thanky you Emmanuel, I really appreciate your compliment.

Happy New Year everyone!
[Jan 1, 2015, 2:22:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
slimpy

People who work professionally in Architectural visualisation generally make post-process of the images (once they are been rendered with their 3D modeller program) using Photoshop. I mean, the only render never is enough for a realistic or final high quality image. So, if you want to improve the final render with photoshop, to get a more realistic result, just go on. It is a standard practice in arch-vis.

The main goal was to find out how accurate and realistic you can get with SH3D. This rules out any post processing of the rendered images.
I find the result quite satisfying. I also like the fact that I can reproduce the exact same result anytime. I can also change perspective, zoom in and out and render new images at the same quality quite easily.
There's a lot more work to do if you add in post processing in a third party program.

Best, slimpy
[Jan 1, 2015, 2:32:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
SnakeGB

Wow No, Really Wow!!!

I had to look for the tell tail signs to see what one was the render.
[Jan 2, 2015, 5:11:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Akalvin

Awesome! Great job!
[Jan 2, 2015, 8:02:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sjimran

India

Wow..........!
Super bro
good work
[Jan 20, 2015, 4:11:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved