Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 5
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7774 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
nhm

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Yet Another Kitchen Design (WIP)

Hi All,

First, let me just say thanks for making SweetHome3D. Compared to the old days when I used radiance it's a much nicer way to lay things out! No more having to figure out thousands of coordinates for every point in my head. I want to talk a little bit about some of the challenges I'm facing too in case any of you guys have ideas.

1) I really want to be able to control specular and diffuse reflections independently for every texture (and override at the material and furniture level). The countertop is a good example of this. I want diffuse reflection for the cabinets and brushed metal, but specular reflection for the quartz. I may even want a combination of both for some surfaces like the floor. My current thought is to maybe put a thin layer of glass as a veneer (see the coffee table, glass must have a special specular property?). This isn't really ideal though. Would it be possible to modify the code to associate a shader (or multiple shaders) with different textures?

BRDF (and BSSRDF!) control would be really cool too, but one thing at a time. ;)

2) The original images came out very under-exposed. I was able to clean this up with levels in the gimp, but it would be much better to get the .hdr file and be able to really adjust the exposure properly. After looking at sunflow a bit it looks like this theoretically is possible, though with how SweetHome3D interacts with sunflow it might be some work to expose.

3) For some reason surfaces that have a transparent png texture are rendering black with the path engine. Not sure what's going on since they render fine onscreen and (I think) normal engine. Maybe a problem with sunflow?

Thanks again for making SweetHome3D. It's making the process of remodeling the kitchen with my wife much smoother. :D

[Dec 9, 2014, 4:16:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Re: Yet Another Kitchen Design (WIP)

My kind of kitchen. Very nice! Love the feeling of open space.

As for your other questions, well, .mtl settings is a try and fail process, as are textures applied. All that is totally irrelevant, of course, as long as your wife is happy. Result really is very good. Don't show it to my wife - not sure I can afford that kind of rebuild right now smile

ok
[Dec 9, 2014, 8:51:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nhm

Hi Okh,

Thanks for the kind words! We had a little scare last night as the default furniture arrangement was too tight and we were starting to question if we should move the kitchen to a different corner, but we figured out a better arrangment that won't feel quite as tight. :)

Definitely want to figure out the specular vs diffuse reflection thing though. Counter top decisions will need to be made at some point! :D
[Dec 10, 2014, 3:03:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Thanks for sharing your very nice images.

I don't think that SunFlow is able to generate HDR images (it implies that all pixels should be encoded on larger data), and then that Java supports any file format for HDR images.
If you have the patience and computer power, maybe you could try to play rendering settings, reading this thread and the ones that it refers to.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Dec 11, 2014, 8:49:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Akalvin

Love it!
[Dec 19, 2014, 2:13:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved