Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 9
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7461 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
raczek

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Floor Texture - Adjusting Problem

Hi all,

Firstly, I would like to share with my admiration for the software. It is great. I am using SH3D for two weeks in planning my apartment.

I have encountered a problem while creating a texture to floor. To be more specific, the texture created does not adjust to the particular room, but to do grid. I would like that corner of particular room is kind of "point zero" from which program starts. Now it looks like my floor texture is applied to whole area.

Please refer to my example:

I have created a texture which represents the floor area (175cm x 230 cm). However, this texture does not adjust to the room.

Please refer to the following pics (note white lines):

I want the room to be in this particular location. In case of walls there is no such a problem.

I would be grateful for advice.

Thanks.
[Dec 8, 2014, 8:51:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Floor Texture - Adjusting Problem

As you noticed, it's not possible for the moment to move the initial point from which the texture of the floor is drawn. This is to help users to create floors that join nicely for a room to the next one.
If the shape of your room is rectangular, the workaround is to add a box, make it thin, resize it to the size of the room and apply your texture on the box.
For a more complex shape, create the room, export it to OBJ format, reimport it as a piece of furniture and change its texture.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Dec 8, 2014, 11:34:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
raczek

Of course, how I didn't come up with that by myself. I already done in different part of my plan;) Thanks a lot Puybaret:)
[Dec 8, 2014, 11:54:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Interesting, and it makes me curious:

Am I right in assuming that the initial point of:
- a floor texture is always grid 0,0?
- a wall texture is always wall bottom,start point? (and if the wall has a corner, the texture will start along the corner?)

So while a floor texture is fixed to the plan grid, a wall texture is relative to the wall?

The reason I ask, is while the workaround suggested is fine, for myself I think I would prefer editing the texture (seamlessness and scale). Maybe even more so for tiles and other textures with patterns.

ok
[Dec 9, 2014, 8:06:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

And sky texture bottom starts due right in the plan, on horizon; and stretches completely 360 deg in the horizontal plane? Whereas the top of the image compresses in the top of a sphere/cone above plan?

At least that was my impression for mountain / tree-line horizon.

ok

[Dec 9, 2014, 10:46:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Am I right in assuming that the initial point of:
- a floor texture is always grid 0,0?
Yes
- a wall texture is always wall bottom,start point?
More precisely, the bottom in question is elevation 0, which is important on a house with multiple levels.

So while a floor texture is fixed to the plan grid, a wall texture is relative to the wall?
As wall can have any angle, it couldn't start from a fixed point.

I'm tempted to add scale factor and x/y offsets parameters in a coming version of the texture dialog box to let the user adjust existing textures in cases like raczek's one, but also for furniture that includes some texture coordinates, but fear it might not always be correctly understood. sad

And sky texture bottom starts due right in the plan, on horizon; and stretches completely 360 deg in the horizontal plane?
Yes
Whereas the top of the image compresses in the top of a sphere/cone above plan?
Compression isn't the right word, it's more like the used projection requires that the image is equirectangular.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Dec 11, 2014, 9:19:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Thanks, this is very useful. Just had a Eureka moment for some of my textures, and kick myself for not seeing it.

See your point about an offset option, it could confuse. Maybe you are reaching a point where you must contemplate Advanced Options for some of the dialogues to give users access to the potential of your work. (No comparison, but doorOrWindowCutOutShape# or price# for model properties spring to mind smile.)

'Compressed on top' clearly is not the right description, struggled with that, and I stand corrected. 'Equirectangular' makes sense (at least to map-lovers and, I suspect, graduates of the French school system).

ok
[Dec 11, 2014, 6:05:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
pdlouhy

Using the boxes for textures is good approximation for many cases - i.e. for wall tiles that doesn't cover entire wall.

But it has limitations. One are windows, and the other is offset of the texture. If the texture can't have offset, the only way to move with the gaps between tiles is to move the entire box. That is not very pleasant and sometimes could lead to the box being in the adjacent room.
[Apr 11, 2018, 8:54:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
VeroniQ
Advanced Member

France

For your information: Since October 11, 2018, thanks to Sweet Home 3D 6 version, the texture dialog box has proposed a new X and Y offset. More information in this article.
[Oct 23, 2018, 10:59:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved