Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 3
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5321 times and has 2 replies Next Thread
jacqmizz

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
The best conditions for creating one's own textures

I was reading a post on this forum and a user asked how s/he could render a very realistic (high end) picture with SweetHome3D. The reply given was to use high quality textures.

Now when browsing the internet it is not always possible to find the best textures, sometimes the images are small, sometimes they are distorted etc.

I was wondering what the best conditions are for creating one's own textures using a digital camera. For example;

What size?
What DPI?
What about lighting?
Any other camera settings (for example shutter speed)?
[Nov 25, 2014, 3:48:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Re: The best conditions for creating one's own textures

Usually, you get pretty good results with 256x256 pixels - often lower if the texture is cleverly made. I would not even consider photo quality textures (which thread was that?) Maybe that could get nice(er) rendering, but the time involved is beyond my patience and processor...

In short - try good small textures, edit with a good picture editor (like the Gimp) if need be. And you can ask in the forum. I have made a few seamless textures for my own work, and I am happy to share if I know what you are after and I have one.

Lighting is an art - in photography as well as in SH3D and the real world. Don't think that can be summed up in a post. As is colour balance, by the way. Camera shutter speed is not really relevant (as long as camera is steady), aperture, however, will let you play with depth of field (that is, increased sharpness over distance).

And - trying and failing is usually a good way of finding out what you want smile And if you share your results, you might just get a tip or two... ok
[Nov 25, 2014, 8:07:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Re: The best conditions for creating one's own textures

It is hard to know what you want to achieve, but the topic of creating your own textures is so interesting and has so many aspects that it really deserves more elaboration. Because good textures can really make a great difference. If you look at the blog many of the topics touch on textures and light. See for instance the sunlight simulation and how to apply textures to a box.

If you look in the galleries, you will also find lots of examples of what users have managed to do.

I for one, prefer working with small textures and graphic files (both in SH3D and elsewhere, such as on websites). It makes everything faster and smoother. I prefer fast/small over perfect, but that is a personal sentiment.
In this example:
- grass is based on a picture of a lawn to extract the primary colours, then these colours where distributed as (seamless) noise in a 256x256 image,
- the log walls are very simple gradients from a lighter to darker (shade and less fading below), with some noise to give depth. file 256 wide and 64 high, compressed to < 3 KB .jpg. The .jpg compression actually adds to the feeling of texture.
- mountain background is an actual 360 panorama from a site, scaled down to 2048 wide and 512 high, and saved as a pretty compressed 120KB .jpg. In SH3D it should start East if plan is oriented towards the North. In this case, you would get a better result with a higher resolution image, but that was not important for the illusion wanted. The sky, btw, was erased and replaced by a gradient light to dark blue.

In this example all textures are tiny. wood panels/floors, curtains, etc. Based on photos edited down with the gimp. The flames are also based on a picture from a fireplace and edited down, but here some transparency was added to let the red/yellow light-source shine through.

But also, don't underestimate finding textures online. For instance, I (well, my better half) wanted a particular wallpaper. On the manufacturer's site, there was actually a seamless picture of that wall paper which I scaled down, and then applied to the wall in correct proportions (beware of copyright). The same trick I use for paint (colours without textures). Use manufacturer information (find the RGB values - this site is helpful.

And then, of course, realism needs attention to the light-sources you use in your SH3D design.

Nope, none of the above will give you "perfect". But I still think it is amazing what you can actually do with simple tricks and very small graphic files.

ok
[Nov 26, 2014, 8:54:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved