Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 19
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 12090 times and has 18 replies Next Thread
mihalich

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
App freezes and/or crashes in Mac OS.

Hi, I'm new to this app and recently installed it on my Mac. The program freezes whenever I try to open or save to file. Sometimes it crashes after some time, sometimes I have to shut it down. I don't have any such issues with JAVA version, but I prefer to use a native application for Mac OS X. Any suggestions or solutions?
[Oct 4, 2014, 12:04:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: App freezes and/or crashes in Mac OS.

All versions use Java. Do you mean you tried the DMG installer?
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Oct 7, 2014, 1:22:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mihalich

I tried the one that I purchased and downloaded from the AppStore (yes, it should be DMG). It freezes everytime I click "open" in the file menu. Later on I downloaded the free java version with a limited number of models - I don't have any problem with it - it works as it supposed to. But I still would like to get a native Mac OS application working.
[Oct 12, 2014, 3:10:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mihalich

Additionally, I noted another great bug. The app crashes every time I try to change the texture of the object - the table or the chair. I don't know the reason of it, should it be the JAVA problem or not, but I certainly can not work on it normally.
[Oct 12, 2014, 3:57:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Mac App Store and free versions use different versions of Java and Java 3D library, so the problem could come from one of these parts. Your first problem with open/save made me think it's a Java issue, but then your second issue with textures looks more like a 3D issue.

Two users reported to me they had some serious crash problems with Mac App Store version, and both of them used it on Mac Pro computers. It's not enough to deduce it's a problem that may happen on this kind of computer, but this could be a clue. What is your computer and system?
[Oct 12, 2014, 8:36:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mihalich

I have Macbook Air 2013 model and Max OS X 10.9.5 installed. I tried to install old JAVA version as suggested on one of the forums and also tried to install a newest JAVA update from Oracle - none of this worked.
[Oct 12, 2014, 9:47:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Thanks for the information about your computer.

I tried to install old JAVA version as suggested on one of the forums and also tried to install a newest JAVA update from Oracle - none of this worked.
You could install any Java version, that won't make Sweet Home 3D Mac App Store version use it because this version comes with its own private Oracle Java version.
But since you installed Oracle Java version beside that, I would like you to run the two following tests if you don't mind:
- In the Online version, try to change the texture of an object. As the Online version will run Oracle Java version and the same Java 3D library as in the Mac App Store version, I would be curious to know if you encounter some problems here too.
- Try to open or save a file with the Java Web Start version (to run it, click on this link then double-click on the SweetHome3D.jnlp file you'll have downloaded). As the Java Web Start should run with Oracle Java version, if it still fails that would mean that there are problems in the management of sandboxed applications (i.e. Mac App Store programs). In that case, I would be curious to know if you have no problem to open / save files with other Mac App Store applications, if you have any (you could try with a free one if you don't have any other one).

Thanks for your help smile
[Oct 12, 2014, 10:22:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mihalich

Yesterday night I decided to check with the previous version of Mac OS. So I erased the whole hard drive and made a clean install of Mac OS 10.8.5. Today morning, right after setting up a clean OS environment, I installed Sweethome3D and open my working file. Everything seems to work perfectly - I can open the files, change textures or import them from another files. No crashes so far. So, I'm not sure what was exactly the root of the problem - the next thing I'll try to restore my data using the Time Machine and will check it once again.
[Oct 12, 2014, 9:17:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Thanks for taking the time to make this in-depth tests! Knowing that Sweet Home 3D works on a clean install of the system is a very valuable information.
[Oct 13, 2014, 9:07:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mihalich

Hi, Emmanuel. Just to let you know - the Time Machine did not help, as it restored the system completely to its previous condition, including the OS X Mavericks. And the problem came back again. So for now I know for sure that software works on a clean install of OS X 10.8.5 Mountain Lion. I'm still not sure if it will work on a clean install of OS X 10.9.5 Mavericks. Now I will have to do another clean install of 10.8.5 and will manually restore all data from my backup.
[Oct 13, 2014, 10:05:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved