Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 12
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 13995 times and has 11 replies Next Thread
okh
Advanced Member

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
SH3D and Microsoft Surface Pro (Tablet)

Anyone at all with experience of SH3D on the MS Surface Pro? From thread quoted below (and this thread) it seems someone has tried, and it would be cool with a tablet option.

Weight and portability is what I am looking for. But I also want to be able to attach an external screen / keyboard / mouse to simulate my desktop environment. Even if the touch-screen does not function perfectly(?), it may still be interesting. But clearly, it would be very handy to be able to carry the pad around and do modifications directly.

Comments? Function? Performance? Trouble?

ok

Re: sweet Home doesn't start
Aurélie, would you be kind enough to tell us how Sweet Home 3D work on a Surface Windows 8 pro computer? Is the user interface still usable with a small screen? Is it sustainable to draw walls and rooms with the finger or the included pen? Are performances correct?
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Jun 3, 2013 3:53:37 PM]

[Jun 18, 2014, 12:59:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Re: SH3D and Microsoft Surface Pro (Tablet)

BTW - other tablet solutions could be interesting too. So any experience would be welcome. ok
[Jun 18, 2014, 5:30:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

After a bit of research, I now consider the Asus Transformer Book T100. Seems to me as the lowest cost, hand-held option for my upcoming construction finalisation: decent battery-life, no fan (smile, around € 400 (considerably less than the Surface Pro), mostly good reviews. Then I guess I need a stylus of sort, an extra 64GB microSD, microHDMI cable. And that, methinks, should work as a field kit for SH3D (with a laser tape measure)...

So if I can wriggle myself out of a meeting tomorrow, maybe...

Thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

ok
[Jun 19, 2014, 1:04:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

I'm looking forward to reading your comments about it smile
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Jun 19, 2014, 4:24:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Thanks, only conclusion so far (on my way home from work), is that there are some pretty ignorant (and arrogant) hardware sales-men out there. If I find a nicer shop tomorrow, I think I might just give it a try smile. ok
[Jun 19, 2014, 5:00:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Tablet Asus Transformer book T100 (was SH3D and Microsoft Surface Pro)

Asus Transformer Book T100 bought and installed. €365 + €100 for 64GB extra memory, hdmi cable and stylus. First looks: love the device, silent, small but beautiful screen, compact and fast. So even after the annoying Win installation, I am happy.

Just tried sketching a basic sh3d house-plan with a stylus (generic). Very strange experience. I think it can be absolutely great doing sh3d design on a tablet - in fact, super cool - but I really cannot tell yet. First, I am not used to a stylus, second the tablet must be in its upright dock to charge for the next 8 hours. Will give you a more detailed report later, but something tells me you will need to try for yourself at some point. There is clearly amazing potential in sketching on a tablet, but I also guess that you may have to adjust some interface options to optimise for stylus. More later. ok
[Jun 20, 2014, 2:27:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Re: Tablet Asus Transformer book T100 (was SH3D and Microsoft Surface Pro)

BTW hansmex - some geeks tried a LINUX installation on this thingy. While I doubt I will try a dual boot, I may just try running Kubuntu off a mem stick/card at some point. But that is for later smile ok
[Jun 20, 2014, 2:41:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Ok,

Ubuntu is BY FAR the best operating system I have ever used....!!
I've been using Windows from the early 80's until 2008 and I'll never go back.

H
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Jun 20, 2014, 3:58:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Absolutely! Technically I much prefer UNIX/ Linux over Win (and also Mac, but that is just habit, I guess). My better half is work-bound to Mac, I put the teenager on Linux, but I am stuck with Win because I need software that will only run under Win. One is for a client company that does educational software, the other is for navigational charts (and a pretty cool piece of phone software, but Kontact could probably do the trick now). So far, annoyingly, Wine has not been able to cope.

If those problems were resolved, I should say goodbye to Redmond with few regrets smile But I guess it is time to give K Desktop a new chance. Not least, see whether Kubuntu+SH3D could work on this tablet thing.

ok
[Jun 20, 2014, 4:30:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Continues here: Tablets and SH3D.

(No longer specific to one tablet.) ok
[Jun 20, 2014, 5:37:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved