Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 9
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5716 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
condo

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Make my own worklamp

Hi all,

I can hardly believe I'm the first who wants to create his own worklamp but as it seems I'm the first to post it here as I couldn't find a lot of threads about lamps let alone about tiny lamps like the worklamp is supposed to be.

I've made my own IKEA Husvik work lamp (left model). This is the problem that I'm encountering:

http://imgbox.com/yNskwvzu

The minimum size of the available light sources is 0.1 (meters). I should be half of this to fit properly inside the Husvik lamp shade. Now it casts its light into unwanted directions (eg. wall) and just looks wrong. Is there a workaround?

And how BTW was the included work lamp made (seen on the right in my picture)? It has a much smaller lightsource, I want it to look like this. Is that possible or does that require some serious coding?
[Mar 4, 2014, 6:55:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Make my own worklamp

The minimum size isn't 0.1 meter, but 0.1 centimeter i.e. 1 millimeter. But apparently, text fields won't let you enter 0.001 value when the length unit is set to Meter. Please use Centimeter unit until this issue is fixed in a coming version.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Mar 5, 2014, 9:03:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

In the current version, you can still reduce to 1 millimeter with the size indicator shown at object corner in the plan.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Mar 5, 2014, 9:39:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
condo

Wow, absolutely didn't know that, this drove me crazy in a number of situations. I never use the object corner icons nor was I aware I could set the unit to other metrics units. Thank you for your enlightment, Puybaret.

Simple solution then for a problem which seemed complicated smile

http://imgbox.com/LA70jGrD

This looks perfect now! I will have to redo a number of lights now, will keep me busy the next couple of hours wink
[Mar 5, 2014, 5:29:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Your lamp rocks!
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Mar 5, 2014, 9:57:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
condo

Thank you hansmex. It turned out a lot better than what I had expected. I'm new in blender and at first had no idea how to do it.
[Mar 8, 2014, 10:24:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

I'm new in blender and at first had no idea how to do it.
Congratulations. Blender is incredibly powerful, but not that easy to learn... :-)

If you consider sharing your model - which would be nice - beware of this thread. IKEA is somewhat unappreciative of models of their designs. In the office I had a very expensive desk-lamp. IKEA made a similar one, that I also bought. For my drawing, I made a generic lamp which looks a bit like both lamps. (Not as nice as yours, though :-) ).

ok
[Mar 8, 2014, 11:16:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
WriterBLAlley

USA

If you make a light in another program, can you set it to emit light as part of the model, or do you have to add the light source afterwards?
[Nov 1, 2014, 7:55:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

The supported import formats (such as .obj) do not support light sources.

But, yes, you can add (several) light sources to the SH3D properties if you use the Furniture Library Editor and edit the file with the properties. See for instance thread 5206 and SVG mini guide pages 9-10.

However, for normal use, placing one of the included lightsources within or next to your lamp, is probably easier.

ok
[Nov 2, 2014, 11:05:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved