Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 4
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4294 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
harbinger

US
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Subtractive brushes

This may be fruitless because my wish depends on the data structures involved with SH3D, but here goes...

Imagine a wall that starts out 12 inches think (masonry) but over 10 feet becomes 3 feet think. The "hypotenuse" side however is curved concavely. Cutting thru the wall at a perpendicular angle, from the curved side to the straight side, is a VAULTED entryway (still lots of masonry, but that's irrelevant) that ends in an arched door exiting the straight side of this odd shape.

This is what I need to build, but after carefully exploring SH3D's features, there is no way to build this. Being a longtime user of UT99's editor, which uses subtractive (carving out) geometry rather than additive (building onto), I could easily get what I want with a subtractive brush shaped like an arched space.

Any chance of that happening with the geometry classes you use in SH3D? I think being able to subtract space from a wall or a box would be an excellent feature! rose
[Mar 2, 2014, 7:24:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: Subtractive brushes

Is this what you mean?
curved wall w arch

H
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Mar 2, 2014, 10:45:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

harbinger, I'm glad you like the program, but I don't think the subtractive feature won't go further than computing automatically holes made by doors and windows in walls. Maybe one day I'll add support for non rectangular doors in round walls to make the workaround proposed by Hans even easier, but this is difficult to program for very little benefit.
I like a lot designing in 3D with boolean operations like Art of Illusion can do, but I think this kind of feature is far too complicate for the audience targeted by Sweet Home 3D.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Mar 3, 2014, 9:59:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
harbinger

US

Actually, after further research, the technology may already be there using SVG. I can create the wall "fill-in" as a piece of furniture, do some subtractive cuts into the model, then fit the model/furniture snugly to the wall.

I think what i can do is use the triangle model, rotate it to lie on its side, use SVG on the model to cut out the curved side and subtract the arch entry thru the piece.
Does that sound like what's best for this scenario?

I'm noticing however that SVG seems to be only 2D, but i'll be making 3D cuts. Any suggestions?
[Mar 4, 2014, 5:34:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved