Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 6
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5009 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Export to OBJ loses colour and texture?

Emmanuel,

It seems that when using Export to OBJ the imported model has lost its colour and texture.
Is this just me, or can it be repeated? I can attach or send files if you like.

Hans
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Nov 21, 2013, 9:16:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Export to OBJ loses colour and texture?

Hans, I couldn't reproduce this issue on my side.
Please, send me a file that shows this problem.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Nov 23, 2013, 3:25:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Thanks for the files you sent me.
Until next versions are released, please do not use # and % symbols in exported OBJ files and in furniture names entered in the Furniture Library Editor.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Nov 23, 2013, 5:46:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
wattsand@gmail.com

United Kingdom

I also still have this issue. Any ideas, is it to do with size of model?
[Jul 14, 2023, 10:43:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Have you checked the material names following the advise Emmanuel gave concerning special characters in the filename? The problem can be easily created AND avoided if you only use letters, numbers, underscores, and dashes for files; for both the object filename as well as for texture and material file names.

The problem could originate because of the different rules for file naming across the different operating systems. I can create a file or folder named a:b\c.$%# on Linux but that would result in a file that is rejected on Windows. Not only that, but the backslash in the Linux filename would be seen as a directory separator on Windows and part of the filename. So stick to letters, numbers, underscores, and dashes. If you import a downloaded model you can check the obj and mtl if this is a possible cause of the problem since it usually means the importer can't find the texture file(s).

Another reason might be that the texture image files are not in the same directory as the object file. Although you could have the textures in a sub-directory is better to keep them in the same directory to avoid transfer problems between systems. If the model is in a zip file first unzip it and try to import again.

The size of the model shouldn't make a difference unless it's so big your computer can't handle that size which is very unlikely.
[Jul 15, 2023, 8:23:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Dweinn

I have a similar problem, when I export the file it changes colour. It is not a big difference, it is just kind of darker.
[Jul 18, 2023, 8:44:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved