Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 5
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6542 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
colpolstudios

ireland
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
scale help

A quick question:

When exporting to obj format what aspects does sweet home take into account for the export?

Example will setting the pref to feet and inches or metric cause issues when loading the model into another software.

Has anyone any experience using the models within daz studios?

I have tried but the model comes in way to big and have had to scale the model quite a bit.

Possibly someone knows of the correct format and is willing to help.

Side note: Excellent sofware very happy

As a unity user and both poser and daz studios as well I value this excellent software.

Many thanks

kind regards

colpolstudios

look me up on facebook
[May 25, 2013, 12:52:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: scale help

The unit chosen in the preferences doesn't influence the one used in exported OBJ files, which is always centimeter (actually, it's the unit used to store lengths in the program). So if you want to scale your imported file to inches, you should use a 2.56 reducing factor.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[May 25, 2013, 7:28:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
colpolstudios

ireland

I exported the five panes window into blender made some adjustment to suit my own needs and reimported the changed window back into sweet home without any need of a reducing factor.

I wish to model for sweethome for my own personal needs.

I set the scene settings adjusted to metric and seperate units for this when adjusting the five panes window and just wish to ensure I am correct with this setting?
[May 25, 2013, 9:44:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
colpolstudios

ireland

Hi again sorry to be a pain but I do not understand the scale factor of imported file to inches, you should use a 2.56 reducing factor.

A sweet home cube when imported into blender altough the cube has four seperate objects each one was 100m in length compaired to a blender cube which is 2m in lenght and a complete object.

here are some other units:

daz studio 1 unit = 1cm

hexagon 1 unit = 1cm

blender 1 unit = 50cm

unity 1 unit = 1 meter

So if the unit cm is used to store the lengths within the program what is the lenght of a standard cube when exported?

From my testing a standard cube from sweet home comes into blender at 100 meters in lenght.

But a standard cube in blender is only 2 meters in lenght.

I am unsure if blender uses a default scale when exporting models but I think thats why if i load a model from you and tweek it and reimport it into sweet home it works at the correct size.

Idealy i wish to model in blender but at the correct scale for use within sweethome if you can help many thanks!!
[Jun 1, 2013, 12:08:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

First 1 inch = 2.54 cm and not 2.56. Sorry for this mistake. But I guess it's not the problem.

All the lengths stored in Sweet Home 3D are in centimeter, and all imported and exported lengths are considered to be expressed in centimeters, except for Collada/DAE files containing a <unit> element.
When displayed at screen (i.e. in the plan, in the furniture list or in modification dialog boxes), these lengths are divided by 2.54 then converted to the displayed text, if you chose the inch unit in the preferences.
As OBJ files contain only values without any unit (open an OBJ file with a text editor if you want to see it yourself), sharing the lengths they contain from a software to an other can cause some scale conversion problems as you noticed, according to the default unit system of each software.
According to this thread, I'm not sure that Blender has a default unit system. If you want to create OBJ files in centimeters with Blender, then draw a 1 unit cube in Blender, export it and import it in Sweet Home 3D. This will give you the scale factor you should use in Blender, if any.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Jun 1, 2013, 12:16:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved