Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 10
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6635 times and has 9 replies Next Thread
Ash187

United Kingdom
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Lots of noise on shadows in photo and video

hey guys,

I have been playing with the software for a few days now and i absolutely love it.

the problem i am having though which i cannot find any guides on or previous mention of any fix is that after i have designed the loft bedroom and i try to do a good quality photo or video i cant seem to get a clear image. there is always either white or black specs all over the floor or tops of drawers and on the wardrobe.
i have played with various options to no avail.
i dont know if it helps but i am using a new 2012 Macbook pro with i5 processor and 8GB ram, I saw a guide of how to allocate more ram to the program so i have increased it to 2GB.

i am also attaching 3 images of the room to show the issue... the pictures are of how the room looks like in the same position with the quality turned up each time.
as you can see the wardrobe,TV, and headboard dont show up well as with the flooring.

please help me figure out what i have done wrong.

Thanks
Ash

[Jan 8, 2013, 5:38:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Lots of noise on shadows in photo and video

The easiest way to get less noise is to generate a larger image and down scale it with an image processing application. Under Mac OS X, you can use Preview application and its Tools > Adjust size menu item.
In the next version, there will be also the ability to request better quality setting for SunFlow, at least by changing some program parameters (it's already programed with -Dproperty=value Java parameters but not sure I will show these advanced parameters with a nicer user interface immediately).
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Jan 9, 2013, 10:29:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
m@

In the next version, there will be also the ability to request better quality setting for SunFlow,

Yes please, that would be great! applause

I used to get noisy renderings too, but since I use the Light Set found here
http://www.sweethome3d.com/models/basicLights.sh3f

and follow the advice from Hans found here
http://www.sweethome3d.com/support/forum/viewthread_thread,3668

the results are getting better. But it still takes time and patience to get a good pic.

Using spots and dimmed lights always resulted in very noisy renderings for me til'now.

Here's an example of a pretty noiseless rendering, only the reflection of the light on the red front generates some wired noise:

[Jan 9, 2013, 8:29:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

For your information, I don't see any advantage to use the lights available in basicLights.sh3f, compared to the white light source provided with Sweet Home 3D since version 3.0. The size of these lights don't influence their effect and they are not visible in the 3D view when selected.
[Jan 9, 2013, 8:53:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
m@

Well, lightning is still a big mistery for me... thinking
Besides; can you give me an advice how to get rid of the reflections on the red front? The material is not shiny, so what else can I do to avoid?
[Jan 9, 2013, 9:30:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Are you really sure that the material is not shiny? Did you check the Matt option in the furniture panel of that cabinet?
[Jan 9, 2013, 9:52:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
m@

OK, I just realized that in v.3.8., I can set the "shininess" for each material separately. The shininess ruler for the red front of the cabinet was not set to zero. Now I'm waiting to get the picture newly rendered, I'm gonna post it in the gallery maybe.

But back to the main topic of the thread; would you agree if I say using less different light sources but using just a few brighter ones reduces the noise?
[Jan 9, 2013, 10:24:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

The other way to make the large white spots less conspicuous, is to use a much larger light, or two, or three, and place it lower, so that the "camera" can't see the reflection in the red cabinet door. That would also make the large white spot on the ceiling less visible.

Hans
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Jan 9, 2013, 10:32:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ash187

United Kingdom

Ok so i fixed the problem.

Turned out the floor that i created was wrong as i had sloped walls i had to break up the flooring to match the segments of the walls so that the ceiling slopes would be created properly. I also changed some of the furniture i was using as for some reason the software just did not render it nicely.

no all that is done and after playing with the lighting i have now managed to get this :)

m@, how have you got 3.8? i have just checked and current download release is 3.7
[Jan 11, 2013, 2:13:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
m@

m@, how have you got 3.8? i have just checked and current download release is 3.7

Hi Ash187

Your room looks pretty cool now biggrin

You're right, the official release is 3.7, but there's a 3.8 aka 4.0 Beta, you'll find the infos and download path in this thread:
http://www.sweethome3d.com/support/forum/viewthread_thread,3662

For me, the OS X Version of 3.8 works fine except that one of the new features ("create photos at point of view" ) produces an error. For me, the best change between 3.7 and 3.8 is the possibility to modify the different materials in an object.
[Jan 12, 2013, 4:41:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved