Blog

Index  | Recent Threads  | List Attachments  | Search
 Welcome Guest  |  Register  |  Login
Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 137
Posts: 137   Pages: 14   [ Previous Page | 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 231220 times and has 136 replies Next Thread
RobertBurke22

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Sweet Home 3D 4.0

Hi,
Sorry if this is unrelated, but as seeing this is a post about the beta, here goes.
I've installed the Beta 4 and have recently updated to 4 Beta 20 from an earlier version. It opened up fine the first few times, but now it gives me the following message:

Application Error
Unable to launch the application.
Name: Sweet Home 3D 4.0 Beta
Publisher: eTeks

Then, there's two buttons: Ok and Details.

If I click details:

Error: Failed to validate signing of launch file. The signed version does not match the downloaded version.

Then there's a tab "Launch File" with a bunch of code and a tab "Exception" with a bunch of info.

I don't know how to fix this. I've tried reinstalling, rebooting, ending the process manually, etc.

If you need either of the texts under those tabs, let me know.
[Mar 3, 2013, 2:31:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Robert, you should click again on the Java Web Start link shown on this page. Depending on your system, Java Web Start applications used to upgrade more easily, but Oracle recently introduced some changes for security sake, that may oblige the user to download the JNLP file each time its content changed. As the JNLP file of the final version is more stable, this issue shouldn't happen at the final release of the version 4.0.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Mar 3, 2013, 7:56:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Denis, Hans, Szymon, thanks for your feedback. From you answers, this ceiling computation feature doesn't feel perfect, and I agree. wink
what about an option to exclude a wall from ceiling calculation ? Maybe a checkbox in the wall's properties dialog ?
Nice idea but still too complicate for basic user to understand, as well as the wall's properties dialog is already quite filled with a lot of information. One of my idea was to add a Flat check box in the Ceiling section of the room modification dialog. A more simple option placed among other user interface options relative to ceiling. If the users wonder what it changes, they can test it and undo/redo it, or look in the help. The biggest problem with ceilings is that they are visible only from below, and I'm not sure that playing with that 3D feature was a good idea for people unaware of it.

don't recalculate the ceiling after every change, but make a Recalculate button, just as for the walls around a room.
Sorry but I feel it wouldn't be consistent with the way Sweet Home 3D works for other features: the user sees the effect of its initial drawing or its change at once, and recomputing walls around a room is just a shortcut of something the user could do with existing features. Following your idea, what would happen if the user would move a point of a room? It would keep always the same elevation until he clicks on that button? And if the elevation of some room points is incorrect at the initial creation of a room, recalculating them won't resolve any issue.

I would enable this nice mechanism when there exists only one way of spanning a ceiling (e.g. 2nd from left in top row, or second from top in first column).
Sorry but I'm not sure to understand what you mean. sad
However, in some complex situations one can do it in more distinct ways. I would disable the mechanism if different strategies of triangulation result in different ceilings.
The triangulation is computed by Java 3D itself. So if I want to test different strategies, I would have to study its algorithm and reprogram it some way, without guaranty that there could be more than one possible strategy at the end!
The mechanism doesn't work fine for low walls.
The Flat option I proposed could help to resolve this issue. But in the case you reported, you should actually create a room for the floor, and a second room for the ceiling with only 4 points at the room corners.
[Mar 3, 2013, 8:28:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Emmanuel,

I fully understand that it's not simple to find a "one size fits all" solution to compute roofs and ceilings. So maybe a two-pronged strategy, which distinguishes between roofs and ceilings, would work better?
- Ceilings generally are flat.
- Roofs are in a majority of cases non-flat, and/or extend beyond the walls of the building.
I have used other 3D programs, and in general they also make this distinction. Even for non-technical users, it wouldn't be too complicated to understand there is a difference between those two parts of a building.

Hans

PS : When using b19, I draw a rectangular room with a partially sloping ceiling (what you call sloping 6 points) it generates one sloping roof, without the bend in it. Is it Ubuntu, or did I forget the magic spell? :-)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/wa62c9n9yt5l8py/SlopingCeilingTest#2.sh3d

Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Edit 3 times, last edit by hansmex at Mar 3, 2013, 2:19:23 PM]
[Mar 3, 2013, 9:15:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Groumphy

Belgium

Hello,

I've a question, is it possible that the last webviewer is not compatible with the lastest BETA ?

I download the lastest stable version of the webviewer and follow the instruction in the ReadMe.txt, but this give a bad result: cannot open the projet.

Is it normal (difference with the version I think) ?

For the other point, all work perfect with my Ubuntu.

Xavier
Groumphy
-----------------------------
FR - NL - EN
-----------------------------

www.zoyo.be
www.doudoulinux.be

Pas très souvent présent, mais utilisateur :)
[Mar 3, 2013, 4:27:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Hans, actually, I wanted to remove the sloping ceiling feature when I introduced levels in version 3.4. But a user warned me that he documented that feature in a book, so we agreed I'll keep it only for last level.
Your SlopingCeilingTest#2.sh3d example doesn't work because the room doesn't have six points. Ceiling elevation is computed at room points only.
[Mar 3, 2013, 5:13:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Emmanuel,

Sorry for misunderstanding your improvements. I was living under the impression that one-step-ceilings were introduced for the scenarios you showed.

Would it be possible to slightly improve the "magnetism" for room points, so that it's easier to find the exact spot where room points should connect to wall points? It's easy to find the exact spot for corner points, but not so easy to find the exact spot along a split-up straight wall.

Hans

PS: Making a 6-point room in my example gives a perfect ceiling.
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Mar 3, 2013, 5:38:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sajmmon

Poland

After your feedback, I would not disable the mechanism :-) Even thougn it might not be perfect in some situations.

Have a look at an interesting example: Two rooms (almost the same), one is rotated. The same diagonals in tringulation, but different ceilings :-)

It is just a toy example, I would enable the mechanism even with this kind of inconsistencies.
[Mar 3, 2013, 6:50:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

is it possible that the last webviewer is not compatible with the lastest BETA ?
I would say no, but since you had a problem that I could reproduce, it must be true. I'll check in the coming days where it could come from.
[Mar 3, 2013, 8:59:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Ok, I fixed the bug. If you want a beta of the viewer, just tell me, I'll send it to you.
Thanks for reporting this issue. smile
[Mar 3, 2013, 9:39:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 137   Pages: 14   [ Previous Page | 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved