Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 2
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3828 times and has 1 reply Next Thread
rohitverma

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Best practices for creating a Good Quality Moodel in sweet home 3d (Low Size and Good Performance model )

Hi,

I observed that the 6th example on gallery page http://www.sweethome3d.com/examples/SweetHome3DExample6.sh3d
(the one with basement , 2 floors and a roof ) takes only 4MB on disk and runs like zip when loaded in sweet home 3d.

I tried to make a model on similar lines but with best efforts my model still takes around 70MB
on disk and runs ok in sweet home 3d....this brought me to ask a question ..

what are the best practices for creating a good quality model that is
1) low sized (low on disk and low memory while loading) and
2) good performance (smooth while running in sweet home 3d)

Here are some tips i picked from FAQs and forums...but it would be great if Hansmex and Puybaret sir could
tell us best practices as a list... (This thread can then be used as a reference by all to use Sweet home 3d optimally)....

1)turn off useless lights,
2)use less detailed 3D models..certified models (only those given on 3d models link http://www.sweethome3d.com/importModels.jsp)
3)use texture images with a lower resolution and size (size , 300KB)
4)use less plants (It is a known "problem" that plants with many leaves slow down the 3D preview)

Hans and emmanuel sir please modify and enhance this list so that we can create good quality models
with small size and good performance..

Also ,If some furniture model is not available in sweet home 3d
default models http://www.sweethome3d.com/importModels.jsp
where and how to find low size version of it.

In expectation of reply ..

Regards,
rohit
[Feb 3, 2012, 6:25:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Best practices for creating a Good Quality Moodel in sweet home 3d (Low Size and Good Performance model )

Interesting subject. smile

The best way to reduce the size of the file can be done by choosing File > Save and compress menu item, instead of default save. This can easily lead to a 3 or 4 times smaller file. The compressed mode isn't the default one because it takes also quite longer to save.

And about texture images, it's the resolution (number of pixels) that slows down the performances not the size of the file. So, if you save your textures in JPEG format, prefer a higher quality over a larger resolution.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Feb 3, 2012, 6:42:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved