Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 12
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 25295 times and has 11 replies Next Thread
Mitsaki

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Import .obj file to Blender

Hello,

I have created an .obj file in Sweethome3d and now I would like to import it to Blender 2.59, but I would like the furniture to be imported as individuals so that I could recognize them in blender. Has anybody experienced the same problems?

I also have tried to import it with different settings, but still I don't have any improvement.

Thanks in advance
Mitsaki
[Nov 4, 2011, 1:31:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: Import .obj file to Blender

Mitsaki,

If you want to import individual pieces of furniture in Blender, you should export individual pieces of furniture from SH3D. It is not possible to separate the furniture pieces in Blender.

Delete all furniture except one model, then use Export to OBJ format, then use Undo to get the other pieces of furniture back. Repeat this process until all pieces have been exported.

Hans
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Nov 4, 2011, 1:45:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mitsaki

Are you sure that there is no option in blender for doing that? Is there any already-made script that I could use to do that programmatically?

Mitsaki
[Nov 4, 2011, 1:59:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Mitsaki,

Those are questions you should ask on the Blender forum...

SH3D produces OBJ files; these are "simple" text files that describe X,Y,Z coordinates, faces of triangles, etc. The entire model that you export is treated as ONE object, and cannot distinguish between individual parts.

The method I described is the only one.

Hans
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Nov 4, 2011, 3:15:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Sorry Hans, but you're wrong.
In the Outliner view of Blender, you'll have all the various parts that define the exported object if you select the Group option of the Separate objects by OBJ section during importation.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Nov 4, 2011, 3:44:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mitsaki

Thanks, both of you:))) Especially Puybaret, who can solve my problem:)
[Nov 6, 2011, 11:12:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mitsaki

Well, you were right that the furniture could be selected individually, but the problem is that now I could select all the meshes, so in order to select one piece of furniture I have to select all the meshes used for the composition of the furniture. Is there any other option that I could change to have the desirable result.
[Nov 7, 2011, 2:36:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mitsaki

I still haven't figured out, how I can have the same furniture as an object, I don't understand why I can't have eg. a sofa, as an object and I have to select all the meshes:(
[Nov 16, 2011, 9:35:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

I don't think that OBJ format was designed with this kind of grouping in mind, and OBJWriter class just writes a "g" line for each Java 3D shape whatever it comes from a part of a piece of furniture, a wall or a room.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Nov 16, 2011, 10:24:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mitsaki

So, what you are suggesting is either change the OBJWriter of Sweethome3d or somehow group the meshes from the same furniture after importing the .obj file to blender?
[Nov 16, 2011, 3:12:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved