Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 6
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4019 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
MarcelV

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Different rendering results for different operating systems

Hi all,

I'm using SH3D on 2 machines: a MacBook Pro running OSX 10.6 and a generic PC running Fedora 14 x64.

When I render a scene on both machines (exact same file, camera position, rendering settings) I get different results! Strangely enough, the differences are generally localized. i.e. limited to one or two objects.

Here's an example. This is the scene rendered on OSX:

and here it is on F14:

and this is the difference:

As you can see the light reflections on the table surface are really different for both images. But the rest of the scene is rendered identically!

Has anybody else seen this or does anybody have an idea what's happening here?

Thanks,

Marcel
[Apr 8, 2011, 1:13:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Different rendering results for different operating systems

Maybe it's due to different color profiles on both computers?
I noticed that the image doesn't look the same in Sweet Home 3D and in Preview once the image is saved (it's darker in Preview).
If you have more information about this, I would be pleased to learn more about that.

By the way, very nice image wink
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Apr 8, 2011, 7:35:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
db4tech
Advanced Member

UK

Quick 2 mins out from course work to write a possible solution.

Since no other objects seem to be affected, and the shapes on the table are triangle based, could it be that the table has some bad, or inverted, surface normals?

A quick way to check would be, import the table into Art of Illusion, then export it making sure to tick "Always write surface normals"

Bring that version into Sweet Home and try another render.

Some good models there MarcelV, did you model them?
Really liking the window light. smile

Hope what I have written makes sense, been up nearly 34 hrs without sleep.
Right back to course work!

David
[Apr 9, 2011, 1:50:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
MarcelV

Hi Emmanuel,

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't think it is a color profile issue, that would effect all (or at least many more) pixels, not just the dining table surface. Also, on my MacBook, I don't see the difference in between the SH3D and Preview.

Marcel
[Apr 11, 2011, 8:53:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
MarcelV

Hi David,

That sounds like a great suggestion. I've never used Art of Illusion before but I will grab it and import/export the table.

As for the models: thank you for kind words but I can only take limited credit for what you see in the pictures. Most models are edited versions of stuff I found on Google 3D Warehouse. I'm still new to modelling; adjusting what I find online is as far as I dare to go at the moment.

I've looked in awe at the pictures you posted in the "Gallery Space" thread. How do you get SH3D to produce such excellent renders? Emmanuel makes a reference to "modifying the rendering settings" in that same thread. I guess this goes beyond checking boxes in the Create Photo menu. Can you enlighten me? I don't mind getting my hands dirty :).

Thanks,

Marcel
[Apr 11, 2011, 10:55:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
db4tech
Advanced Member

UK

Hi Marcel,

Once Art of Illusion is installed.

If you click this link, it will download the "telefishAOI" plugin, with this plugin installed you can also import 3DS models (plus a few other formats) instead of just the default OBJ model format.
http://aoisp.sourceforge.net/AoIRepository/Pl...AOI/telefishAOI_2.7.2.jar

The file is from the AOI (Art of Illusion) repository.
http://aoisp.sourceforge.net/about.html

Many of the other files are quite old, and have since been implemented into AOI.

To install the plugin, just go to your Programs folder, search for ArtOfIllusion folder, in there you will see a Plugin folder, drop the telefishAOI file in there, restart AOI and you're done! smile

In connection with the modeling:
Firstly, thank you for your kind words about my Gallery Space scene.

Opening and adapting free models is a great way to learn, that is how I began last May, before moving on and creating models.

Rendering:
Successful rendering results are mostly about the light in a scene, being a photographer helps me in this area. Of course the models have to look good too! smile

Several months ago, I helped with tweaking (under the hood) SunFlow render settings (render engine used by Sweet Home 3D), with a goal of trying to improve realism, image quality, maintain or improve render speeds and add new features.

There are quite a lot of forum posts showing progress and discussions (with images).

I still think, my Gallery Space scene can be greatly improved, might remodel a few things once my degree work is completed, then again, I may begin something new instead. smile

Thank you,

David

Edit: Improved readability.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by db4tech at Apr 13, 2011, 8:39:14 PM]
[Apr 13, 2011, 9:18:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved