Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 77
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 205506 times and has 76 replies Next Thread
Puybaret
Expert

France
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Advanced rendering plug-in

Here's the first version of a new plug-in able to render images depending on sun's position.
This plug-in is available at http://www.sweethome3d.eu/plugins/AdvancedRendering-1.1.sh3p
and adds the Tools > Create advanced photo... menu item.
This new item displays a dialog box with new options (English and French are supported):

The lights you can turn on or turn off are the ones included in SH3F libraries, but some of them don't have any effect.

Source code is included in the plug-in.

Have fun smile

[04/29/2010 : an error that shifted month value was fixed in version 1.1, which replaced version 1.0]

[03/14/2011 : The latest version of the Advanced rendering plug-in is available here.
Note that the features of this plug-in are integrated to Sweet Home 3D itself since version 3.0.
]

Note this plug-in isn't compatible with Sweet Home 3D from version 3.4.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Edit 4 times, last edit by Puybaret at Oct 16, 2012, 5:00:19 PM]
[Apr 26, 2010, 2:48:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Simulate sun position and lights/shadows

I just published an article in Sweet Home 3D blog about this plug-in, and done a few more small changes to the plug-in.
[Apr 28, 2010, 4:04:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Sorry, I just discovered a bug I added in the version 1.0 of the plug-in when I copied the code contributed by fma: I shifted months value, because months in GregorianCalendar class are 0 based. sad

Therefore, I released the new version:
http://www.sweethome3d.eu/plugins/AdvancedRendering-1.1.sh3p
and removed links to the older version 1.0.

As plug-ins management automatically choses the most recent version of a same plug-in available under two different versions, you won't be obliged to remove version 1.0 after installing the new version. wink
[Apr 29, 2010, 4:33:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
db4tech
Advanced Member

UK

Hi Emmanuel,

I can't believe you've not have loads of replies about your new rendering plugin, it is incredible!! Maybe most people haven't noticed it yet? smile I'm new to Sweet Home 3D but for my first model I built a 2 floor building and this plug in has produced some fantastic lighting results!

Thank you also for your 3 extra lights. I have a request, would it be possible to give the lights a surface to make them visible in the '3D view' for easier positioning, I have carried out some tests and the candle lights (some of the only built in lights that work well) can be positioned then once in place can have their properties changed so the model is hidden, even when hidden this way it still produces a light source in the final advanced photo render.

Is there any way to make large size lights (like a lighting softbox) so soft shadows can be generated? At the moment all shadows apart from the 'ceiling light' produce hard edge shadows (they still look great though compared to the normal in built lighting!)

Also would you be able add an ambient lighting adjustment?

Plus (this is an easier request) could you add a button to the Advanced photo window so a user can select either Landscape or Portrait for the rendered view? At the moment the only way is to switch off 'Apply proportions' and type in the portrait resolution information.

Thank you for this great plugin it makes Sweet Home 3D complete. It's so good that I'm surprised you didn't replace the normal rendering method and release it as 'Sweet Home 3D version 4'! smile

db4tech
[May 3, 2010, 7:08:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

I can't believe you've not have loads of replies about your new rendering plugin, it is incredible!! Maybe most people haven't noticed it yet?
I don't think the 2500 hits on the blog article about the plug-in were made only by lost Internet users and search engine crawlers. wink

would it be possible to give the lights a surface to make them visible in the '3D view' for easier positioning
If you want to make them visible in the 3D view and 2D plan with the current version of the plug-in, the name of their 3D shape should be prefixed by "sweethome3d_window_pane" in the OBJ file (use a sphere.obj instead of light.obj for example) and they should be flagged as windows in PluginFurnitureCatalog.properties file, because the only objects that are not rendered are windows named this way.
I can build such a file if you want to, but then these lights will behave like windows when magnetism is active (they will make holes in walls when drop on or close to them). confused

even when hidden this way it still produces a light source in the final advanced photo render.
Please, consider this behavior as a bug that will be fixed in next version.

Is there any way to make large size lights (like a lighting softbox) so soft shadows can be generated?
That should be possible, by changing light radius. In the next version, I can use a variable radius depending on the size of the light.

Also would you be able add an ambient lighting adjustment?
SunFlow doesn't seem to have such kind of light.

could you add a button to the Advanced photo window so a user can select either Landscape or Portrait for the rendered view?
Why not...

It's so good that I'm surprised you didn't replace the normal rendering method and release it as 'Sweet Home 3D version 4'!
From your remarks, I'm was right not to do that since it's not perfect yet. wink
I'll probably add the advanced rendering parameters to Sweet Home 3D itself when SunFlow will be able to compute light going through panes and other transparent surfaces.
[May 4, 2010, 4:43:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
db4tech
Advanced Member

UK

I can't believe you've not have loads of replies about your new rendering plugin, it is incredible!! Maybe most people haven't noticed it yet?
I don't think the 2500 hits on the blog article about the plug-in were made only by lost Internet users and search engine crawlers. wink
Hi Emmanuel thank you for your reply,

I think possibly half of those are from me finding the plugin so amazing that I kept going back and re-reading parts of the blog biggrin

Keep in mind that all the lights generated during the rendering are still unable to go through transparent panes because of limitations in SunFlow. Nevertheless, Sun light and exterior lights are able to light the interior of a house through window panes with this plug-in, because it doesn't render them.
This is one area I would like to ask you about, because I think I have misunderstood what you have written. To see what would happen to the lights I tried a very quick test, here are the results.

Exciting results!

I used walls to build a box shape, added a room, then an extra wall across the middle, placed some windows and a door then some props and four lights on the other side of the room so the only way light could enter was through the door and windows.

PS: Left the time set after midnight to make sure no other lighting could influence the test (important because even with the 'Add sun light' button disabled the Sunlight is still rendered but with less intense shadows, I guess with the button disabled it is simulating external ambient daylight light and enabled is like strong Sunlight on a bright clear day?) Oh and I also made sure the only rendering tick box is the 'Turn on lamp lights'

In case you would like to see how I positioned the lighting I've added a download link for the model.
>>> Here <<<

Further ideas:
I was thinking rather than you having to develop lots of different lights would it be easier to create a plugin for users to design their own style lighting, so they can choose intensity, radius and also importantly the colour of the lights (at the moment there is only the white lights you kindly made or the yellow light from the supplied candles)

Thank you for your time.
Hope your week is going well.

db4tech
[May 5, 2010, 2:33:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
db4tech
Advanced Member

UK

Ah I've just discovered what you mean. If a user creates a glass object then imports it but without ticking the door/window tick box then it appears as glass in the 3D view but light doesn't render through it; if they then take the same glass object and import but this time click the door/windows tick box it still appears the same in the 3D view but is rendered as an invisible object so light passes through the space.

Aww I got all excited again after my above test results! sad

This also explains why I wasn't able to add a shiny surface to one of my floors. Knowing that imported objects can be coloured or textured with an image map I wanted to make a wooded floor with a slight gloss to it (without having to make a massive imported shiny wood textured obj or lots of the same object repeated)

So within (Sweet Home 3D) I used a box (the building has two floors) for the first floor, applied a repeating wood jpg texture and was then going to overlay a thin, small (made larger in Sweet Home 3D to cover the textured box) semi shiny glass obj over the floor but kept wondering why the floor with overlaid glass obj always appeared black with reflections while the glass in a doors didn't seem to stop the light, because they aren't actually rendering the glass as glass.

Interesting!

db4tech
[May 5, 2010, 3:48:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Hi,

I just released the version 1.2 of the Advanced rendering plug-in with the following new features:
- I removed the threshold set on shininess. In the previous version, a shininess smaller than 64 was ignored. If some objects get too shiny, you can decrease their shininess by setting the "Ns" value in their MTL file (a 0 or 1 value meaning not shiny) and reimport them, or by setting their color in Sweet Home 3D with the furniture modification dialog.
- I enlarged a little lamp lights to soften shadows.
- I added "Depth of field" and "Fisheye" lens types. When "Depth of field" is chosen, focus point is computed at 2.5 m (100 inches). This distance sounded reasonable to me to get a nice effect, but we could change it as it could also be possible to change the depth of field itself.
- I added 3 check boxes to render walls, floors and/or ceilings a little shiny. They will change the shininess of all the walls, all the floors and all the ceilings. I guess it could be nice to set the shininess individually on each wall side, floor or ceiling, but I'm not sure it's so useful.

Here's a capture of the 1.2 dialog:

As you can see, shininess (on the walls and the floor) and focus blur (on the objects at left) remains quite subtle, and I hope you'll like it that way. smile
Objects very close to the camera or very far from focus point will get blurer as shown on this image:

Of course, don't expect that these additional options will speed up rendering process! wink

The plugin is available at http://www.sweethome3d.eu/plugins/AdvancedRendering-1.2.sh3p

As plug-ins management automatically choses the most recent version of a same plug-in available under different versions, you won't be obliged to remove previous versions after installing the new version.
[May 9, 2010, 8:14:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
fma

Great!!! Thanks for this update!
Frédéric
[May 9, 2010, 10:08:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
db4tech
Advanced Member

UK

Amazing! Thank you Emmanuel

You do realise as a photographer I'm now going to ask you for the ability to control the depth of field by selecting an aperture setting from a drop down box (f/1.0 - to f/22) and also the ability to choose the point of focus biggrin

The last part could be quite difficult so I'll give you a few days off first! (Just kidding) I guess the virtual visitor in the plan view would need to have a marker projected in front of it to indicate the point of focus and also a dotted triangle expanding both towards the virtual visitor and away at the same time, to help illustrate the depth of field.

Just one idea for a future release!? smile

PS: Are the new larger size lights available to download or does the new plug-in interpret the 3 lights as a larger by default? Can't wait for a massive softbox size light for ultra soft shadows, it's your new lighting plug-in and soft shadows that add the most realism to a final render.

db4tech
[May 9, 2010, 10:34:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved