Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 19
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 17387 times and has 18 replies Next Thread
macfrog
Advanced Member

Germany
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
confused Splitting sloping walls?

When i split a wall, this is happened always(?) in the middle of it. this is fine, because i can move the splitpoint - unless i want to split a sloping wall.
in this case my newly separated walls keep their start/end height from the splitpoint. which is useless in most cases, even if i move the splitpoint to the needed coords i will still have to hassle with angles not corresponding et cetera (i got a workaround but it sucks).
so,
is there a kb shortcut to determine the point a wall will split?

thx in advance
macfrog
[Jan 18, 2011, 9:48:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Splitting sloping walls?

Sorry, there's no short cut for that.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Jan 18, 2011, 10:03:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

macfrog,

The shortcut involves the keyboard of a calculator, I'm afraid :-)

Hans
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Jan 18, 2011, 10:09:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
macfrog
Advanced Member

Germany

hansmex,
>The shortcut involves the keyboard of a calculator
not always: i put a new wall (90 degrees off) to the wanted splitpoint, make this "helpwall" big as needed and store the wanted height for this splitpoint that way. it's not funny but it works.

too bad anyway, i was hoping to get an aswer like "hold down ALT+SHIFT then click mouse button into wall" :-)

It's not an architectural program, i know... Not YET ;-)
macfrog
[Jan 18, 2011, 10:27:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

macfrog,

That's an ingenious but simple workaround.

I spent the last (half) hour reading on all kinds of geometry websites, trying to figure out if I could make a simple spreadsheet model that would allow inputting basic data, and resulted in giving the correct measures for the split wall.

Unfortunately this is far beyond my mathematical insight. Maybe, after all, I should have paid more attention during high school...

Hans
Hans

hansdirkse.info
[Jan 18, 2011, 11:00:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Applying Intercept theorem (théorème de Thalès en français) between the walls length on the floor and their height should help you. wink
[Jan 18, 2011, 11:15:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Hello :-)

It took me some time to intercept the meaning of the theorem, but here it is...

To calculate D (the height at the point where the wall is split) you do this simple math:

D = A / ( B/C )

So, first divide B by C
Then, divide A by that result.

Hans
Hans

hansdirkse.info
[Jan 19, 2011, 2:21:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Thank you Hans for the drawing. I was sure you were able to understand the first theorem I learnt at school! wink
[Jan 19, 2011, 8:14:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
macfrog
Advanced Member

Germany

Hello,

i just want to let you see the reason for this thread:

keep in mind: for changing a wall's texture of a given room, i have to split walls on room limits.
so, moving a wall forces me to split the aligning wall (again, and again)... so far for the calculating method, hans biggrin

screenshot below:

it's the upper level of a house with 10+ sloping walls, almost NEVER splitted in the middle. as you can see, the roof is missing wink
macfrog
[Jan 19, 2011, 8:56:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
wrosun

Nepal

I like your model and can think about the hard work you have done to complete it but where is the problem???

is it solved already or are you trying to say that the things the experts said dint work or are you showing us the result after applying the solutions?
[Jan 20, 2011, 7:31:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved