Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 9
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5494 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
SilentStrider

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
using own textures to show posters?

Hi there

I tried to put an image onto a wall and then just change the texture (and the size of the object) to a pic of the actual poster that is on my wall there. Nearly all works fine, but when I click ok it shows the picture I used as texture as tiles, four ones with the point in the middle of the object.

Is there an easy way to just use pictures on my hard disk to cover posters with it in the program? My consideration was just to copy an existing model and change the texture of it with another picture (where I shouldn't chose the mirror for it *slight cough*)
[Dec 18, 2010, 3:35:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: using own textures to show posters?

Strider,

Yes, there is an easy way, if you think for a bit...
A texture is a repeating image, applied to a wall, floor, ceiling or other object. So, for a poster you want it to repeat just once.

Import (or Modify) your texture so that its size corresponds with the size you want, let's say 60x90 cms.
Now apply this texture to a box of 60x90 cms. Et voila!

Hans
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Dec 18, 2010, 3:52:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
SilentStrider

I did kinda exactly this... let me make some screenshots.

Lets say I use a picture of the Niagara-Falls and want to give it a new texture so I can put on another image

next I import the texture and gives it the size of the actual poster (which is 157cm width and nearly the 49,95cm it says (actual its 53cm height, but thats due that this is a image))

now I change the object to match my needs

after what you have said it should work now, but look yourself:

but the image looks like this

So you see there is a point in the object where it tiles the texture around it.
[Dec 18, 2010, 5:16:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Strider,

I'll have to check on this. Someone reported this behaviour before on the forum. Not sure if there's a solution to it.

Hans
Hans

hansdirkse.info
[Dec 18, 2010, 5:24:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Strider,

Check out this thread.

Hans
Hans

hansdirkse.info
[Dec 18, 2010, 5:28:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
SilentStrider

thanks for showing the thread, I'll try that
[Dec 18, 2010, 5:44:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Either use the other side of your box, or reduce its depth to a very small value.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Dec 18, 2010, 7:08:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
wrosun

Nepal

peace SilentStrider
I think you are trying to make a picture frame for your wall am i right?
Well i also have been thinking on asking Puybaret if he could make a frame where any picture can be inserted by changing the texture but i found another way using box to create own frame so i dropped out the question.....here is a picture frame with the picture you posted.

Picture Frame

There is a pattern how the texture in the box works:

1. on one side of the box ( lets say back) the texture is applied as a reflected image so you get a image opposite than the image you chose and it is same for bottom part also.

2.And on other side( i.e front) it is same like the picture and on the top also it is same.

FRONT:

TOP:

3. other two sides do not take texture..

so keep that in mind if you like to create a picture frame of your own..
[Dec 19, 2010, 10:11:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
SilentStrider

thank you very much :)
[Dec 21, 2010, 1:52:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved