Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 9
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5015 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
Shadowfirebird

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Problems will wall lengths

I've just started adding dimensions to my plan, and I've noticed that the dimensions of each wall don't match the wall lengths I entered!

For example, I have one "sticking out" wall that has a length of 126, but the dimension from corner to corner measures 128.

On the other hand the opposite wall has a length of 196 and the dimension, corner to corner, reads 193.

It seems to be the thickness of the walls that is the problem. I had assumed that the wall lengths I was entering would correspond to the interior measurements I made - after all, I can't measure the outside of the room.

The sizes need to be exact because I want to plan a kitchen.

Any ideas how I should proceed?
[Oct 10, 2010, 9:57:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: Problems will wall lengths

Shadow,

Your observation is correct: walls are drawn from "centre to centre". If you need EXACT interior dimensions you have to take this into account.

Workarounds:
1 - You could make your walls 1 cm (one) thick and add that centimeter to the length of your walls.
2 - You could draw a floor first, and using the Advanced Resize plug-in you can edit the floor to exactly match your dimensions. That done, you can surround your floor with walls. Now use this trick from Emmanuel: "One last tip: the easiest way to design just one room is probably to draw it first with the Room creation tool, then choose Wall creation mode and double-click in the room to automatically create the walls around it."

Hans
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Oct 10, 2010, 10:37:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Note that the smallest thickness is 1mm.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Oct 10, 2010, 11:01:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
pipster

Shadow,

Your observation is correct: walls are drawn from "centre to centre". If you need EXACT interior dimensions you have to take this into account.

Workarounds:
1 - You could make your walls 1 cm (one) thick and add that centimeter to the length of your walls.
2 - You could draw a floor first, and using the Advanced Resize plug-in you can edit the floor to exactly match your dimensions. That done, you can surround your floor with walls. Now use this trick from Emmanuel: "One last tip: the easiest way to design just one room is probably to draw it first with the Room creation tool, then choose Wall creation mode and double-click in the room to automatically create the walls around it."

Hans

Hi, this is a wonderful software but I have same problem with wall lengths.
Your solution is useful only if you are drawing a single room. If you want to draw an entire house this could be impossible with adjacent rooms and walls that cross with other walls.
Is it possible to draw walls with the inner length? Actually I only have those.

Thank you for this useful software!

This is the apartment I have to draw:
Walls have various widths: 10 cm, 20 cm, 30 cm

[Feb 13, 2011, 11:02:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
wrosun

Nepal

i never noticed this problem till now....i take internal dimensions of every room using the measuring tool available.....it helps to make correct measurement.
[Feb 13, 2011, 11:37:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
pipster

Thanks for your reply.
Did you put first the dimensions and the draw the walls?
[Feb 13, 2011, 11:21:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
rimvydukas

Hi,
I suffer from this problem too:( Is if possible to fix this, Emmanuel?
[Jul 19, 2011, 6:30:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

The problem of entering the inner length of walls for multiple rooms have been mentioned many times in this forum and elsewhere. Sincerely, if there was a solution, I would be glad to program it, but I really don't see how I can anticipate whether a wall will be the last wall or not, and what angle it will make with next wall.
Think, rethink, rerethink about it and you'll see this problem brings you to a dead end. sad
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Jul 19, 2011, 12:51:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
rimvydukas

But lets take Live Interior 3D app for Mac. There is such an option in this program so I think that there is a way to do this:) But in general your program is great, thank you for it:) As for now my solution is to draw measurements and align walls to them. Is it possible to add magnetism for measurements? I want them to be able to stick to drawed walls:)
[Jul 20, 2011, 8:35:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved