Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 13
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5318 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
tc111

United States
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
I may have been sketching out a home but I'm in the dog's house now...

I'm running Ubuntu v10.04 and SH3D v2.6. The file was saved, the computer was idle. I returned to SH3D and got a kernel panic. Now the 97% completed job will not open. What can I do? Here's my error: Can't open home.
[Sep 29, 2010, 10:35:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
starrunner

Re: I may have been sketching out a home but I'm in the dog's house now...

Have you read the section "Sweet Home 3D refuses to open a SH3D file I created. Is there a way to recover it?" in the FAQ?
[Sep 29, 2010, 11:41:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Spencer,

Something else you could try:
- while in Ubuntu click Places --> Home Folder
- on your keyboard tap CTRL H to show hidden directories
- go to .eteks/sweethome3d/work
- check if any file is there, and try to open it.

The /work directory is where SH3D saves your work, while working on it.

Hans
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Sep 29, 2010, 12:21:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Caution! From version 3.0, old files in the .eteks/sweethome3d/work directory will be automatically deleted after a 20 seconds delay when you launch Sweet Home 3D again. Therefore, should I increase this delay?
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Sep 29, 2010, 12:43:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Emmanuel,

You may, or may not, remember the request for an Autosave feature. This is one of the reasons for such a request. I've stopped complaining about the frequent crashes myself, just using the workaround I've found to avoid most of them.

Suppose I have created a file called file1.sh3d .
- When I open file1.sh3d, SH3D creates file1.work and file1.bak.
- Exiting with saving, SH3D updates file1.sh3d and deletes file1.work; file1.bak should not be altered from its last state, so that in case the save operation fails, the backup file can "save the day".
- Exiting without saving (from a power outage or crash), leaves the old file1.sh3d and file1.bak without changes, and a corrupt file1.work.
- Restarting SH3D with either file1.sh3d or file1.bak, creates a new file1.work which overwrites the old, corrupt file1.work.
- When starting on a new project called file2.sh3d, there would be created a file2.bak and file2.work, so that older work isn't overwritten.

Just my two cents.

Hans
Hans

hansdirkse.info
[Sep 29, 2010, 1:37:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Hans, you seem to want some kind of continuous save, what would be the only solution to keep your work as it was at the moment of a crash, since it may happen at any time! smile
More seriously, I'm ok to program an autosave feature, because it's now possible to save a project in Sweet Home 3D without stopping user input. But I don't like the backup file option. Creating a backup file has as much chance to crash than saving the project itself.
[Sep 29, 2010, 2:20:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
tc111

United States

Hans, YOU 'da man! Your steps got me to a file called .eteks/sweethome3d/work/'unique-hash'/'hashed-filename'.sweethome3d . Added a '.sh3d' to the end of a copy of that file. This file was the point at which I had started yesterday's work. So, now I'm back to 70% of work completed instead of 0%. With some brain-power and my measuring tape, I can finish up my work, again. Thank you so much!

--Spence
[Sep 29, 2010, 2:29:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Emmanuel,

Continuous save is what you have in Google Docs, where each key press is automatically saved.
Autosave, in my view, comes with a setting that allows to determine the interval, say every 5 minutes, every 10 minutes, etc.

I have complete faith in your solution, whichever you choose :-)

Hans
Hans

hansdirkse.info
[Sep 29, 2010, 2:32:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

I increased the auto deletion of work files from 20 seconds to 5 minutes, to let users more time to retrieve their files using this tip.

By the way, remembering the bug about file access rights, I think it won't be always possible to create a backup file in the same directory as the original one and with the good access rights. So I won't create the backup files suggested by Hans in a close future.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Puybaret at Sep 29, 2010, 3:14:55 PM]
[Sep 29, 2010, 3:11:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Emmanuel,

Reading the comments on the bug about the access rights, it says:

Date: 2009-12-26 20:24:08 UTC
Sender: puybaret

Bug fixed in version 2.2

Maybe this refers to something else?

Hans
Hans

hansdirkse.info
[Sep 29, 2010, 11:34:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved