Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 23
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 57538 times and has 22 replies Next Thread
db4tech
Advanced Member

UK
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
smile AdvancedRenderingMini-1.6.1 + new lights

Hi All,

I am pleased to announce two new releases.
AdvancedRenderingMini-1.6.1
plus
AdvancedRenderingLights-1.6.1

New version 1.6.1 supersedes the previous version 1.6 (also AdvancedRendering-1.6 in several ways)

Firstly Bug fixes / Improvments

I discovered that both versions (full size and mini versions of AdvancedRendering-1.6) suffered from a button label problem that could easily be replicated. The issue also affected the French labels.

The problem (hi-lighted below) can be clearly seen, this is the full size version 1.6.

I have used a quick fix, (not the word change!) which solves the problem for both English and French label texts.

Slight modifications to some of the English button labels:
Use light angle as power knob becomes
Light bulb angle controls brightness

Glossy becomes Gloss, this is so both Gloss and Silk labels are read in the same descriptive way, otherwise it would be necessary to use Glossy and Silky. Also for the future this then represents paint styles, Matt, Silk and Gloss.

Have further tweaked the caustics (Compute glass transparency) settings which should allow lights placed a little further away to still pass through thick glass objects. This is only a slight improvement!

Old:

New:

Adjusted light settings so multiple light sources are reduced while using a sky texture. The only downside (if "Add sunlight" isn't ticked) is the shadow on the opposite side of the building will be darker.

Old:

New:

Introducing a completely new "Fast" render method!
I'm trying this out to find users opinions. This should at least be as fast as before or with a few seconds. It has 2 main benefits and 1 slight downside.

Firstly the slight downside:
some shadow areas can be a bit more noisy, this can be tweaked further to make shadows less noisy, doing so has an impact on render speeds.

Old:

New: (as mentioned, nosier shadows) but lights and shadows are rendered correctly.

Now for the 2 benefits:
The banding problem seen during daytime "Fast" renders is completely overcome.

Old:

New:

Soft shadows are now rendered while using "Fast" instead of multiple shadows, this also greatly improves lighting previews before doing a "Best" render.

Old: Interestingly the original "Fast" render method produces more noise on the back wall in this scene. So I guess both have their good and bad points.

New:

Don't forget that all these renders are with the "Fast" setting so "Best" renders will look much better! smile

Now for the new addition! smile
Something many users have asked for. The ability to see where light bulbs are placed in the Sweet Home 3D preview window, allowing for easy positioning.

The cross-hairs also indicate the light bulbs size but it is important to remember when resizing light bulbs to enter the same size in all furniture size fields (Width , Depth and Height)
The light bulbs are sphere lights, entering a different size in only one field, still means the light increases in size in all directions, but the cross-hairs won't show this, unless the same size is entered in all fields.

I'm hoping when the lighting system is integrated into Sweet Home that the size fields will have the size proportions locked, so it will only be necessary to enter a size in one field.

The new AdvancedRenderingLights-1.6.1 are needed to see the new cross-hairs and they must only be rendered with AdvancedRenderingMini-1.6.1 (or full sized AdvancedRending-1.6.1 once available) or newer. If they are used with an older render version the cross-hairs will be visible in the render!

This is what will happen, if the new lights are used with an older AdvancedRendering version:

The new AdvancedRenderingMini-1.6.1 is fully backwards compatible, so all previously used BasicLights, or BasicPlusExtraLights (or for users not wanting to use AdvancedRendingLights-1.6.1) should render without problems.

I do hope these updates will be useful and help users with their renders. smile

db4tech

The new files are attached below this message.
----------------------------------------
Attachment AdvancedRenderingMini-1.6.1.sh3p (106368 bytes) (Download count: 9975) (New cross-hair light bulb positioning, bug fixes and improvements)

[Edit 3 times, last edit by db4tech at Sep 17, 2010, 4:30:18 PM]
[Sep 16, 2010, 12:38:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
db4tech
Advanced Member

UK
Re: AdvancedRenderingMini-1.6.1 + new lights

AdvancedRenderingLights-1.6.1

Since a light bulbs brightness can now be controlled, and to make it easier, there is now just one colour of each light bulb, plus a new Daylight colour bulb! smile

AdvancedRenderingLights-1.6.1 for use only with the new AdvancedRenderingMini-1.6.1 (or a later AdvancedRendering version)

In the future I will probably just call them AdvancedRenderingLights, to make it easier for users to upgrade to later versions.

db4tech

Edit to add highlighted text:
Because several people have downloaded just the lights without the AdvancedRenderingMini-1.6.1, so they will see the cross-hairs in their renders.

Maybe I should have added both files together in a zip file in case the downloads are by none English speaking users?

Edit 2:

Just found a bug with the new lights, the cross-hairs lose their colours when returning to a previously made model.

Here is the bug fixed version that solves that problem!

[Note from moderator: I removed the buggy version to avoid confusion as requested by db4tech]
Attachment AdvancedRenderingLights-1.6.1.sh3f (132135 bytes) (Download count: 14741) (Bug fix version. Solves the problem of cross-hairs losing their colours)

[Edit 7 times, last edit by Puybaret at Nov 7, 2010, 8:55:57 AM]
[Sep 16, 2010, 12:47:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Test, test, 1, 2, 3...
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Sep 16, 2010, 7:44:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
maker

Very nice, thank you. There may be some problems but, I think my installation of SweetHome may have become corrupted. I'll re-install and try again.

Thanks again :-)
[Sep 16, 2010, 1:08:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
whippetsleek
Advanced Member

I accidentally double clicked on the sh3f file when moving it to install it into a portable edition of SW3D, and installed the new lights into my full program. The Advanced Render Mini works fine, and is much better than the full size. I do have the new cross hairs on the bulbs like you said, except for the colored lights. For example I have a cross hair incandescent, Halogen, and white, but the old non cross hair blue, red, and magenta. I like having both even if the names are similar, and don't really want to take out the old lights... any ideas?

And this is a great addition. smile I love the new daylight bulb... wink

[Edit 1 times, last edit by whippetsleek at Sep 16, 2010, 3:26:23 PM]
[Sep 16, 2010, 3:23:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
maker

And this is a great addition. smile

Agree biggrin

But a few problems:

Colour of the sky/ground in the 3d view do not affect the colours of the render.

If the 3d view is displayed in separate window:
1. With "Apply Proportions: 3d view" checked, if I change the input in "Wid (pix)", I get really weird figures in the "Hgt (pix"

2. Typing 300 width gives incomplete render. Weird - because all other input figures seem to be working.

I too really love the built-in lights-cum-furniture biggrin
[Sep 16, 2010, 6:47:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

After some initial testing, I decided to delete the two earlier prototype renderers (Phong & Co), because I like it very, very much.

One wish, though. This version (1.6.1) uses the mini interface. That may be a good idea for people on laptops and netbooks, but doesn't make sense when using a 22 inch screen. I make frequent "fast" renders at around 400x300 pixels to get a quick, general idea of what I will get, especially when fine-tuning the quantity of light and deciding whether or not to add a few "degrees" of extra light. I never save these previews, only "best" previews are worth saving for in-depth scrutiny (imho).

Is it possible to add (a) a button that lets you choose between "mini" and "maxi" or (b) a drop-down menu that lets you choose S-M-X-XL, where you get previews that are (say) 150, 300, 450 or 600 pixels high (or wide) ?

Hans
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Sep 16, 2010, 7:01:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Thank you db4tech for this new version. biggrin
And too bad you won't show us a nice image using it for the contest. sad
I really hope your coming course will be interesting!
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Sep 16, 2010, 10:48:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
db4tech
Advanced Member

UK

Test, test, 1, 2, 3...
Thanks for your tests Hans!
[Sep 16, 2010, 11:31:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
db4tech
Advanced Member

UK

Very nice, thank you. There may be some problems but, I think my installation of SweetHome may have become corrupted. I'll re-install and try again.

Thanks again :-)
You're welcome! smile
[Sep 16, 2010, 11:33:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved