Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 5
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 8888 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Blue bathroom

Hello all :-)

Frolicking with the new Advanced Render plug-in I encounter some unexpected behaviour. This may be caused (a) by models that do not meet the specs of the new plug-in or (b) unexpected behaviour of the plug-in. (I don't think that (c) my video card is causing problems and I don't know if (d) my flavour of Java is at fault.)

So here's the blue bathroom:

1 - The blue glass wall
The wall consists of blue glass blocks. Behind the glass wall is a low yellow wall with lights in front of it. As you can see the glass blocks on the right don't show the correct colour. They come from the SH3D model library and show the yellow wall as yellow. I'm not sure why the upper part is blue, because in other renders all blocks were completely transparent. The left part consists of glass blocks I made myself using the transparent boxes you can find in the attachments. This part shows the yellow wall as green (= blue +yellow).
2 - The bath is "hidden" behind a semi-circular glass wall that was an attachment to an earlier post here (I think from db4tech?). The lights at the center of the semi-circle don't penetrate the glass, as is shown by the darkness in front of the glass. The low light there is from the room's ceiling light.
3 - The right wall is a large mirror that perfectly reflects the bathroom.

Anyone any ideas? Bigger renders on request, and here is the original file. :-)

Hans
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Sep 1, 2010, 1:38:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
db4tech
Advanced Member

UK
Re: Blue bathroom

Hi Han5,

Interesting that you should post this, yesterday I have been further tweaking the caustics settings, to hopefully improve things even more.

Having a quick look at your model, the top part is blue because it is the sky, your yellow wall is only 100cm high. smile

Will try some further tests this evening!

db4tech

Edit:

Could the colour of the blocks on the right be being ignored because it has the "g sweethome3d_window_pane" name set, so it is made invisible when rendered?
[Edit 1 times, last edit by db4tech at Sep 1, 2010, 2:09:09 PM]
[Sep 1, 2010, 2:03:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

db4tch:

I changed the sky colour to a deep pink, but the picture remains the same. Therefore, the blue must come from somewhere else, as I already suspected. Time is set as 02:14 AM, so I would expect the sky to be black(ish).

I changed the ground colour to a vivid pink, as you can see just in front of the yellow wall. The black band above the wall is the dark ground.

Note: in the render settings all lights are turned ON.

Hans
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Sep 1, 2010, 3:57:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
db4tech
Advanced Member

UK

As I only found out a few days ago, while designing this image for whippetsleek. All is not as it appears when it comes to night time renders. smile

Research sunset to sunrise renders for the month of June:
Time sequence displayed left to right

Research sunset to sunrise renders for the month of December:
Time sequence displayed left to right

It's almost as if the December renders were carried out in the southern hemisphere?

One thing that would be great, when choosing a country for the Time zone: if that information also inserted the correct Latitude and Longitude information for that country.
Would require quite a bit of work and extra information stored in the rendering plugin to have such a feature. Would be really nice though!
smile

I overcame the light night sky, by making a 'night time sky' jpg which I then used as a sky texture.

At the moment, "Compute glass transparency" doesn't work (has no effect) while the "Add sunlight" box is ticked.

The thickness of the glass cubes makes it harder for the emitted photons (used to calculate transparency) to pass through and reach other glass objects further away from the light source.

db2tech
[Edit 1 times, last edit by db4tech at Sep 1, 2010, 6:28:48 PM]
[Sep 1, 2010, 6:28:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
db4tech
Advanced Member

UK

Hi Hans,

Carried out a few more tests, the newer caustics settings only seem to make a very slight difference. They have improved the 3 coloured vases on the table, one of my previous test scenes, allowing light placed slightly further away to still pass through. Haven't made much difference to your blue bathroom scene though.

To make sure they were working I closed the wall at the end (preventing caustics photons escaping) increased the height of the yellow wall, moved your working colourd glass blocks to the middle, used only one very large 150cm light half way between the floor and ceiling (at the end of the bath) to the light wouldn't blow out and could see a point at which the caustics rays may stop.
Finally I turned off the ceiling light so could carry out caustics comparison renders.

"Compute glass transparency:" Off (Sunlight off)

"Compute glass transparency:" On (Sunlight off)

Other settings can be used for caustics but they make for very slow and sometimes patchy renders, where the light pools unnaturally.

With caustics, there isn't really one set of settings, that suits all, so trying to find the best settings before, was always going to be a bit of a compromise. Something that works for most circumstances and works quickly is probably most appreciated.

Have you done anymore with the scene, or was it built just to test caustics?

Take care,

db4tech
[Sep 3, 2010, 6:46:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved