Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 9
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4597 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
rooperi

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
I'd like to see...

Thanx for a really good and easy to use program.

Some things I'd like to see:

1) Select and rotate multiple objects
2) Snap to (grid an object)
3) Separate tools for interior/exterior walls
4) Negative elevation

I know these things take time, I'm not gonna rush you. Next Monday will be fine biggrin
Regards, and keep up the good work
Joe
[Aug 30, 2010, 10:20:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: I'd like to see...

Thank you for your feedback.

1) Select and rotate multiple objects
Group items with Furniture > Group menu item then rotate the group.

2) Snap to (grid an object)
See this subject.

3) Separate tools for interior/exterior walls
What do you mean?

4) Negative elevation
Might happen with multiple levels management...
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Aug 30, 2010, 10:05:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
rooperi

Thank You for your response.
Re rotating multiple objects: Thanks, that's helpful too, but I actually meant rotating walls and floors too. Say I have 2 buildings a house and a separate garage, and the garage is at a (say) 23 degree angle to the house. It would be easier to draw it straight up and rotate the entire building when complete, instead of drawing everything at an angle. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Re interior Exterior walls: Building codes in South Africa specify outer wall (and load bearing walls) thickness of 220mm, inner wall 110mm.
I thought it would be nice to switch between the 2 with a single click, instead of changing the default in the dialogue box.
[Aug 31, 2010, 1:26:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
maker

tongue Re: I'd like to see...

but I actually meant rotating walls and floors too.

I really like this idea of rotating walls(esp. as a group). While you can move objects as a group, you can't (yet) rotate them.

Re interior Exterior walls...
I thought it would be nice to switch between the 2 with a single click, instead of changing the default in the dialogue box.

You know it's quite simple to make "interior walls" at present: Create a standard wall, double-click on it and change it's width. Pressing CTL and dragging the wall creates a copy of this wall. You can then move an endpoint to "rotate" in increments of 15 degrees.(I haven't yet found out how to rotate in arbitrary angles)

Not to say that I don't appreciate the idea of "Wall Styles"

Just my 2c. tongue
[Aug 31, 2010, 2:08:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Joe, maker,

1- Rotating walls and floors
When you have the plug-in Copy as new furniture installed, you can come close to rotating walls and/or floors. After drawing your walls, select them, then Tools --> Copy as new furniture, then Edit --> Paste and you have a copy of your new walls. If there's a floor/ceiling, that will get copied as well. You can now rotate you walls plus floor.
1a - You can still give the walls a texture/colour. Advantage: the top edge of the wall gets coloured too, important if that part is visible. Disadvantage: if you include wall/ceiling, they also get recoloured/retextured.
1b - This might come in handy if (e.g.) you doubt between two houses or apartments, and their only difference is that they are mirrored.
1c - You cannot use this trick on floors/ceilings only. Walls have to be included.

2 - You can select any combination of elements in your design and group them. You can then copy this group and treat it as a new piece of furniture. If you need to make changes, just ungroup and each individual element can be edited.

3 - Walls can be freely rotated (or drawn) by deselecting Magnetism enabled in File --> Preferences.
3a - With Magnetism enabled you can draw walls in any direction by pressing SHIFT while drawing your wall(s).

All this information has been given before on this forum. Maybe we need better search possibilities? Or just ignore repeat-questions?

Hans
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Aug 31, 2010, 2:36:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
maker

Hans, thanks a lot for answering (even though the questions have already been asked before. smile

While I knew about using "Shift" to rotate the walls, I was actually suggesting using Copy as an alternative to "wall styles".

Somehow, I didn't think of using the "Copy as Object" plugin for grouping/rotating the objects precisely. That seems quite a wonderful idea. (Of course, if you want to add openings or modifications in the wall, it could be a bit of a problem. You'd have to do it in Blender/Wings/Sketchup/AoI/whatever.Or redo the whole group.)

In this regard, I feel it would be nice if Sweet Home had layers, or some option to temporarily hide walls (as in furniture). It would make checking out various options speedier.

Not to say that the speed of development of features isn't already quite amazing smile
[Sep 1, 2010, 1:18:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
rooperi

Thank you for very helpful responses: )
[Sep 1, 2010, 7:03:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

maker:

Of course, if you want to add openings or modifications in the wall, it could be a bit of a problem.

Yes, that's true. But, seen that this trick is so simple, you could easily make the changes in the original and then make a new copy.
If you need to make a simple hole in a wall, you could insert an invisible box in the wall. To change its colour or texture, you can use a thin box.

As too layers, although there hasn't been an official announcement, Emmanuel has hinted several times that a future version of SH3D may include layers.

And, yes, I agree that the development of the program is lightning fast!

Hans
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Sep 1, 2010, 7:38:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
maker

Thanks a lot for the clarifications, Hans. As rooperi said, they've been really helpful (illuminating).

I'm off to try the "disappearing box--opening" trick ;)
[Sep 2, 2010, 4:28:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved