Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 22
Posts: 22   Pages: 3   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 11590 times and has 21 replies Next Thread
whippetsleek
Advanced Member

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Great Program... Many thanks! .....but there are a few questions..

Ah I was going to suggest using a box from the furniture list, for your Hip walls, then you could use ceilings for your normal height walls, but since you are going through the export / import process, it might make it more awkward mixing walls and furniture. you still won't have any centre ceiling lights, but how about using a flattered box/es to make your ceiling?

That is a good idea, I will have to try that...

Should the tiles be appearing stretched, or is that what you mean by the issues you are experiencing?.

The tiles are meant to be that way... lol... that is a texture made from the picture from the manufacturer themselves. I was more just commenting on my own poor cropping ability before making it a texture. smile I'll have to crop down the grout lines and make them look smoother and thinner.

As for your texture going to the white side (why can I hear Darth Vader when I read this?) it has to be better than the 'dark side!' reaches for Light saber... biggrin

Hehe.. I was once compared to Leia's adopted mother Breha Organa. Friends said I was like a mini rebellion all by myself, and would bite the ankles of the Emperor on my way pass him to the firing squad... biggrin If that is light or dak... I call it a shade of grey...

But anyway, I was meaning that my furniture was turning white. I'm not sure if it is losing it's texture, or if the renderer thinks the furniture is shiny and is putting a gloss? I'm not sure how to find out.

Unless the plant textures were very large, then not necessarily, there is also an issue (with fix available in next render release) where if an object contains illegal values, then the render won't complete. As a test you could try adjusting just the plants textures to a maximum of 512x512 in a paint/image editing software. Or try other plant/s.

That is a good idea, I think many of my textures are too big. I will have to resize them.

What would you like to edit?

For furniture: Double click (or right click) the furniture in the plan view or furniture list to Modify (and select Modify)
Textures on walls: Select the wall and double click [i[(or right click, choose Modify) Click on the Texture, which opens another window, find your texture again (A step I would like to see removed, if editing the same texture) and choose Modify.

PS: The left click and right click information provided, is while using Sweet Home on Windows, I would imagine a similar mode of operation is available while using Mac OS X (if using a two button mouse) or Linux.

Hope this helps! smile
db4tech

lol... I was talking about here on this forum. I was looking for an edit button for my post. I see the reply and quote buttons, but no edit. So I was thinking that maybe this forum has a limit on how soon you can edit your posts. I know of forums that have the feature because of too many nuisance posters. I type too quickly sometimes and forget to add things I wanted to say.Either my brain is too fast for the fingers, or too slow... I haven't figured out which yet... wink
----------------------------------------

[Aug 2, 2010, 9:08:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
db4tech
Advanced Member

UK

Hehe.. I was once compared to Leia's adopted mother Breha Organa. Friends said I was like a mini rebellion all by myself, and would bite the ankles of the Emperor on my way pass him to the firing squad... biggrin If that is light or dak... I call it a shade of grey...
Wow smile

But anyway, I was meaning that my furniture was turning white. I'm not sure if it is losing it's texture, or if the renderer thinks the furniture is shiny and is putting a gloss? I'm not sure how to find out.
Ah so you are using the Uber render, for now until the next release, you may be best using the Advanced render so your textures don't turn white or lose colour.

lol... I was talking about here on this forum. I was looking for an edit button for my post. I see the reply and quote buttons, but no edit.
Once your post has been added and you return to your post, you don't see the edit button, up next to the reply and quote buttons?

db4tech
[Aug 3, 2010, 7:06:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
whippetsleek
Advanced Member

Nope, no edit button. I have quick reply, reply, quote, delete, and split, hmmm... is the split post button a sort of edit button? Anyway, no biggie, I'll make do with a bunch of little post.. lol

And yes, I have both the Uber and the advanced renderer , and I hope that is not a problem. I like to use the Uber for final shots, but the advanced is quicker for checking out positions and stuff.

Here is an example of some of my problems...

[Aug 3, 2010, 7:14:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
db4tech
Advanced Member

UK

Ah I can see what the problem is.

The lamps are exactly 10 cm wide in Sweet Home, so if you look at your plan view (baring in mind that the wall lights are tapered) you will probably find the bottom of the light is slightly in front of the base of the wall light.

if the wall prevents you moving your light then use the modify button instead, then you can enter a value to move the light further into the wall lamp and slightly inside the wall itself.

db4tech

Or do you mean the bedside tables? If so don't worry, the next release will fix this but for now you may have to use Advanced render to prevent your furniture items losing their colour.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by db4tech at Aug 3, 2010, 7:50:06 PM]
[Aug 3, 2010, 7:45:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
whippetsleek
Advanced Member

The horse statue, the bedside tables, the vases, and a part of the light fixture all lost or misaligned their textures. I installed a RAM cleaner on my system some time ago, so I thought that was the problem, maybe the cleaner was taking away the page file memory or something from SH3d, so I uninstalled it, but that didn't solve the problem, so now I am just reding all of my textures to a new file size, and seeing if that helps with the textures getting mixed.

[Aug 3, 2010, 8:18:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
whippetsleek
Advanced Member

BTW, (here would be a good use for an edit button on this thread... smile )

The vases are supposed to be transparent. That I think is a value problem in the mtl file I think?

[Aug 3, 2010, 8:20:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
db4tech
Advanced Member

UK

If your textures show fine with Advanced render, then it is the already mentioned problem with the currently available version of Uber.

The render process is being worked on, so don't worry! smile For now just use the Advanced render if you encounter texture colour loss problems.

PS: Yes you can have both render files installed without any problems.

To make your vases transparent, edit your mtl file and enter (below the Ns value of the texture you would like to be transparent)
d 0.2 (or any number less than 1)

I have carried out many, many tests and at the moment Sweet Home only sees either transparent or opaque.

The Kd value controls how light or dark the transparency will be. 1 is normal, less than 1 the object becomes darker.

Extra information for you: Frosted glass, Alpha blending or multiple layered textures aren't an option at the moment.

BTW there is an edit button (if you see my post above) I'm not sure if it only becomes available after x amount of posts or when the user status changes. This is one to ask Emmanuel! smile

db4tech
[Aug 3, 2010, 9:16:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
whippetsleek
Advanced Member

I've just been having to remake everything in blender or AOI. And simplified my texture files so that alot of my furniture all have the same or similar textures. That seems to work the best.

And not having an edit button is all good. *Evil thought* I could try to get the required number of posts.... smile But that would be spam.

My text editor, which is Wordpad, won't let me save mtl files where AOI can read them, it tells me they're missing, so I just retexture everything.. lol, it takes forever the second time around.

[Aug 4, 2010, 9:13:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
db4tech
Advanced Member

UK

Wordpad can definitely save mtl files, if is helpful I use it all the time along with Notepad.

I think I know what is happening...

In Windows do you have your Folder view options set so you can see file extensions?
If not, when you edit and save a mtl file, you are actually saving it as .mtl.rtf (or for Notepad it would save as .mtl.txt) but the .rtf (.txt) part will be hidden from you. So you actually think you've saved it as a .mtl but the file won't work because the extension has been changed.

If you are using Windows XP, open any folder and click on the Tools tab.
Then select Folder options...
Click the View tab
Look down the list for Hide extensions for known file types and untick it.
Click OK and you will now see all file extensions.

If using Vista or Windows 7, open any folder.
The tabs are hidden until you press the left Alt on the keyboard. Once the tabs appear then follow the same instructions above.

One of the first things I do, after installing Windows on anyone's machine, is untick the 'Hide extensions for known file types'.

Hopefully this will help save you hours of work! smile

db4tech
[Aug 5, 2010, 2:44:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
whippetsleek
Advanced Member

Oh.. duh. I knew about that, I used to do that a long time ago back when to edit config files you opened them in Winzip and extracted them. It's been a long time since I had to do any file editting, I forgot all about that. That was a aw shucks moment... biggrin

Alot of my models came from 3ds, and I have to convert them into obj or in Google Sketch. I like Sketch, but it's hard to get details, and edit the main wireframe if you need to, so making good mtl files will save some time.

The one thing I can't learn is how to texture just a certain part of a model in AOI when it is a premade model? Do you know? Like say you download a cabinet, and when you load it into AOI, there are no components, just one big wireframe. How do you break down the wireframe to texture just certain parts?

[Aug 5, 2010, 4:01:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 22   Pages: 3   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved