Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 22
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 11578 times and has 21 replies Next Thread
whippetsleek
Advanced Member

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Great Program... Many thanks! .....but there are a few questions..

I am a very old school CAD user. I work alot with industrial apps and DWG but I love working with architectural drafting. I downloaded your program to get more familar with plans, and layouts, and I am just now learning about 3D graphics. I'm an old dog, and need to learn new tricks. My problem is the built in render with SH3D makes my photos I create very blurry, and dark. I tried using the light bulbs, and downloaded the Ubershader, but I still can not get the render to a good quality.

I have read somewhat about the SunFlow renderer, but I have no clue on how to get scenes from one program to another. And I have very little programming experience, seeing I learned most of the language back when DOS was still a stand alone programing language.... biggrin So I not sure if my problem is my graphics card, or the renderer, or my memory.

Sorry if this seemed a disjointed post, I haven't had my coffee yet....
----------------------------------------

[Aug 1, 2010, 12:15:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: Great Program... Many thanks! .....but there are a few questions..

Whippet:

If you go to the gallery, or check this thread, you will find examples of what the rendering possibilities are.

Seen the fact that the advanced render plug-ins do not depend on hardware, every computer should return the same result. So, if your renders are too dark, maybe you need a new screen <?>.

Hans
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Aug 1, 2010, 8:48:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
whippetsleek
Advanced Member

Maybe I have an unreasonable expectation of what a light can do.

I finally got to this, but it took 14 different lights placed around the room. Does that seem "normal"?

[Aug 1, 2010, 12:44:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Whippet:

Nice bathroom :-)

As far as I can see, you don't have a ceiling in your bathroom. Every room has a light source in its ceiling, maybe that would help.

In case you don't have it already, here you can find a library file with lights in several strengths and colours.

Also, keep in mind that the renderers can't handle light falling through glass (or at least have difficulty doing so), and that the colour of the sky has a strong impact on the quantity of light in your model.

Hans
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Aug 1, 2010, 1:02:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
maker

Nice work. But did you try the "Advanced Render" plugin? afaik, that uses the Sunflow renderer. And, yes, to have to use 14 lights does seem excessive.
If not, you couldtry the Kerkythea renderer (www.kerkythea.net) -- it imports .obj files, and even the free version has a quite decent interface. Which should allow you to add textures, and perhaps do some basic UVmapping.
Good luck.
[Aug 1, 2010, 1:03:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
whippetsleek
Advanced Member

Thanks for your replies and suggestions. :) I did download the advanced renderer, and that is how I got the extra lights. The ceiling... I don't display the ceilings because they seem to connect oddly to the floor plan and hide the rooms whne I try to position things in 3d view. Is there a way to change how the ceilings connect with the walls? I use different sized walls for what we call hipwalls in the States. I don't know if that affects the ceilings? Do you have to have the ceilings visible to get the light effect?

Sorry about the size of the photo, I just noticed how big it was.

I have Blender, but I am just starting to learn to use it. Is there a way to get my scenes from SH3D to blender to be rendered? I also tried to download Sunflow, but I have no clue how to work it. I'm an old dog. :D How do you get Sunflow to render the scenes from SH3D?

Sorry for the 30 million questions, but I am just kinda feeling my way through this.

But Thanks again for the comments, it's nice to know people like your work.

[Aug 1, 2010, 2:58:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
db4tech
Advanced Member

UK

Hi Whippetsleek.

Firstly welcome to the Sweet Home forum.

Great looking bathroom and well done on positioning your lights.

I am guessing with you saying you downloaded the light bulbs you have version 1.2 of the BasicPlusExtraLights?

For your 14 lights are you using the Strong bulbs for the most light output?

The problems you describe about the ceiling. Are your walls at different heights, as that does cause a strange ceiling. If not, the easiest way to get your ceiling and floor to match the shape of the walls, after building the walls (which you have done) select the 'Create rooms' then on the plan view, double click anywhere within the closed walls to create a floor and ceiling that matched the contour of the walls.

I think in the future less lights will be required, at the moment light doesn't reflect back off walls or surfaces, so extra light is required to illuminate a scene.

Once you have added a ceiling, as Hans mentioned, you have the option of the bright centre ceiling light (can be both a good and bad thing, depending on the kind of lighting effect required) centre ceiling lights, used by themselves, rarely provide attractive illumination in real life.

Looking forward to seeing your final design! smile
db4tech

Edit:
PS: Be of good cheer. A model I am working on currently has 35 light bulbs (of varying intensities) 1 fluorescent light (from the furniture list) and 7 room (centre lights) to try and recreate a photo realistic result. It is quite a large area and takes a long time to render but am hoping it is worth it. smile
[Edit 1 times, last edit by db4tech at Aug 1, 2010, 8:36:46 PM]
[Aug 1, 2010, 5:30:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
whippetsleek
Advanced Member

LOL Now I do not feel so bad. And yep, I have to disable my ceiling in alot of cases for the lower walls I have for staircases, and hip walls, and such. Hip walls are called because they are at hip height or so, and just used to divide an open concept area, like a living room/ Kitchen combo with no walls. I take my plans and export them to OBJ and then into blender, and then into Autodesk AutoCad,so getting acurate walls are a must or I have to resize them all in Cad.

Here is a bath room that is basically done. I'm having issues with the way my tiles are lining up, but that'll be fixed later. My textures are also going to the white side, but I think that is the effect of the lights?

This is the plan...

This is the 3dview...

and this is the render...

I think I'm finally getting better at the lights. I tried putting some plants into the render, but it wouldn't finish. I'm guessing that the plant textures might be the reason?

[Aug 2, 2010, 2:23:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
whippetsleek
Advanced Member

Umm... btw.. where is the edit button? I meant to add that I downloaded both the lights and renderer plug-ins. I'm used to an Infovision board, so I feel kinda two left footed right now. Or maybe as a newbie, I am not allowed to edit? :D

[Aug 2, 2010, 2:29:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
db4tech
Advanced Member

UK

LOL Now I do not feel so bad. And yep, I have to disable my ceiling in alot of cases for the lower walls I have for staircases, and hip walls, and such. Hip walls are called because they are at hip height or so, and just used to divide an open concept area, like a living room/ Kitchen combo with no walls. I take my plans and export them to OBJ and then into blender, and then into Autodesk AutoCad,so getting acurate walls are a must or I have to resize them all in Cad.
Ah I was going to suggest using a box from the furniture list, for your Hip walls, then you could use ceilings for your normal height walls, but since you are going through the export / import process, it might make it more awkward mixing walls and furniture. you still won't have any centre ceiling lights, but how about using a flattered box/es to make your ceiling?

Here is a bath room that is basically done. I'm having issues with the way my tiles are lining up, but that'll be fixed later. My textures are also going to the white side, but I think that is the effect of the lights?
Should the tiles be appearing stretched, or is that what you mean by the issues you are experiencing?.

As for your texture going to the white side (why can I hear Darth Vader when I read this?) it has to be better than the 'dark side!' reaches for Light saber... biggrin
Going to the white side, you mean losing colour, losing textures or appearing on the wrong side of the wall?

I think I'm finally getting better at the lights. I tried putting some plants into the render, but it wouldn't finish. I'm guessing that the plant textures might be the reason?
Unless the plant textures were very large, then not necessarily, there is also an issue (with fix available in next render release) where if an object contains illegal values, then the render won't complete. As a test you could try adjusting just the plants textures to a maximum of 512x512 in a paint/image editing software. Or try other plant/s.

Umm... btw.. where is the edit button? I meant to add that I downloaded both the lights and renderer plug-ins. I'm used to an Infovision board, so I feel kinda two left footed right now. Or maybe as a newbie, I am not allowed to edit? :D
What would you like to edit?

For furniture: Double click (or right click) the furniture in the plan view or furniture list to Modify (and select Modify)
Textures on walls: Select the wall and double click [i[(or right click, choose Modify) Click on the Texture, which opens another window, find your texture again (A step I would like to see removed, if editing the same texture) and choose Modify.

PS: The left click and right click information provided, is while using Sweet Home on Windows, I would imagine a similar mode of operation is available while using Mac OS X (if using a two button mouse) or Linux.

Hope this helps! smile
db4tech
[Aug 2, 2010, 9:21:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved