Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 8
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4013 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
maker

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Modifiable room shapes

I already mentioned this in another thread, but thought it would be better here smile

It would be really nice if we had 'modifiable' ready shapes - like rectangle, circle, ngon etc. So we could draw a room with 2 clicks (for each corner); then add points to give it extra corners/angles.

Even better, if we could combine two shapes. So, rectangle + octagon = room with a bay (window). Dbl-click for walls ---> a 3-step process!

And maybe an option for the centerline of walls created by double-clicking the shapes to aligned with the shape. (But this is another request biggrin )

Just my 2c. to improve an already easy-to-use program. Dbl-clicking for the walls is a master-stroke! And also I love the way all areas are displayed in the rooms. Thank you!
[Jul 16, 2010, 5:29:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bruceeverett

Re: Modifiable room shapes

It may just me, but I haven't found a way to elevate a room. I have to draw a box for a second floor. I am building a 3 story resort.
[Aug 25, 2010, 12:34:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Bruce,

You can't elevate rooms (or ceilings). Floors are always, really, on the floor and ceilings are a result of wall heigth.

Here's a tutorial how you can create a building with multiple floors.

Shorthand explanation: build your upper floors as if they were ground floors. export them as OBJ, then import them as furniture. Give them the correct elevation and stack them on top of the ground floor.

Using the new functions of SH3D (introduced after writing that tutorial) and the Copy as new furniture plug-in you could simplify your workflow.

Hans
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Aug 25, 2010, 1:06:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
maker

Quote:
"..and the Copy as new furniture plug-in ..."
Where, may I ask? I couldn't find it in any of the menus :-(

I disagree: Floors do not always have to be at 0 (zero) level. While I understand that Sweet Home 3d is really meant for furniture arrangement, there are many cases where part of the ceiling is double-height.

Of course, SH3D is evolving very fast. And, probably, in some directions that Puybaret probably never envisioned ;-).
[Aug 25, 2010, 5:56:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
db4tech
Advanced Member

UK

Hi maker,

Hans means, that while using Sweet Home, when a room is designed and floor / ceiling is added, then the floor always appears at zero elevation, and there is no way to adjust the elevation of the built in floor. So another method must be used to produce a second floor.

I like to make my walls the full height of the building, then add a flattened box from the furniture list and texture it, or I make and texture the same shape in another 3D program (so I have more texture surface options) that box then acts as the second (or third and so on) floor/ceiling.

Hope that helps!

db4tech
[Aug 25, 2010, 10:48:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
maker

Thanks db4tech,

I did understand what Hand said--but I liked your point about texturing (UV mapping?) in a different program to gain more control. while I did try to use Wings to complement Sweet Home in modelling - with some success -- I didn't think about texturing and re-importing.

Thanks again.
[Aug 26, 2010, 4:01:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

... and here is the link to the Copy as new furniture plug-in.
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Aug 26, 2010, 10:56:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
maker

Thanks a lot, hansmex :-)

(I'm busy checking out how Sweet Home works out with Wings3d. So far they seem to be complementing each other very well - especially the new "Optigon Edition" (http://nendowingsmirai.yuku.com/topic/7039/t/...-updated-Aug.html?page=1). I'll post some of my tests in this forum. It should hopefully be interesting for those using Sweet Home for exterior views and/or unusual roofs.
[Aug 26, 2010, 12:48:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved