Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 26
Posts: 26   Pages: 3   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 23753 times and has 25 replies Next Thread
db4tech
Advanced Member

UK
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Imperfect rendering

Already downloaded and rendering wink

Thank you for the update! smile

db4tech
[Jun 22, 2010, 1:00:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
db4tech
Advanced Member

UK

I have found one rendering bug that has carried over into 2.5, think I forgot to mention it though with 2.4 sad

Several times (using 2.4) while trying to render the maximum 3000 pixels, it visibly finishes rendering but the Save... button never appears, almost as if it is stuck in a loop. Just tried two tests with 2.5 the first one at 3000 got to the end but (as mentioned) the Save... button doesn't highlight to allow the render to be saved, so just tried 2990 pixels instead and that finishes and allowed a picture save.

db4tech

Edit:
In case it is helpful here are a few extra details.
Render settings used 3000 x 2000 3/2 aspect, Best, lamp lights ticked, Sunlight ticked, all other boxes unticked.

db4tech

Edit 2:
As a different test, started 2.5 then trying a render (with the same setting as above) without designing anything to see if it completes.

It is difficult to test due to the amount of time required to render at that resolution.

Okay the blank test completed successfully so maybe my scene is too complex, it does contain lots of Google models. Although if that was the problem why would it complete when set at 2990 pixels?

Edit 3:
After successfully rendering at 2990 I thought I'd get as close to 3000 as possible, so I tried 2999 and it rendered! At this point I started to wonder if because it rendered close to 3000 it might now work at 3000, so I did the same render again at 3000 and that worked too.

Hmmm I think this calls for further testing! Maybe once a render at a lower resolution has completed successfully the maximum resolution of 3000 will always work?

When I get time, the next tests I will try (even though I have done the first test I will still try it again) will be, open Sweet Home and straight away try rendering the scene at 3000. If that doesn't work I will close the program, re-open the program again and try rendering the scene at 200 pixels, once that completes I will then jump straight to the maximum 3000 pixels and try that again.

db4tech
----------------------------------------
[Edit 3 times, last edit by db4tech at Jun 22, 2010, 4:59:31 AM]
[Jun 22, 2010, 1:17:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Emmanuel:

Having installed version 2.5, I thought I should revisit my "house with hole in the roof" that started this thread. I made a series of renderings which showed a few surprising things. Because I wanted to know how SH3D deals with memory, I decided to have my System Monitor open, so I could keep an eye on processor use and memory use.

Here follow a few observations:
- When making a render using Create photo quality 0 or 1, I noticed that the processor load isn't balanced. One processor runs at (close to) 100% while the other "idles" at around 50%. This goes back and forth between the two processor cores. In quality 2 and 3, and in the Advanced Photo and Phong renderings, both cores (after an initial uneven phase) operate continuously at near 100% loads.
- Even though I used "XMX 2048" to allow SH3D 2Gb of memory, under "normal" rendering the program only uses between 650 and 725 Mb. That includes the advanced modes. The surprise was the "old" photo rendering in quality setting 1. With unbalanced loads, memory use shot up to slightly above 1.1 Gb. Even so, after several minutes of calculating, SH3D ended the rendering with a nice red cross in the window, but no image.
- SH3D keeps crashing on opening files. I have reported this before, but this behaviour hasn't changed. As I described before, the solution is to open SH3D, insert a model (any model), and then open the file on which I want to work. When the file (almost any file) is opened in the second instance of SH3D, there is no problem. So here are a few questions: (1) what parameters change in SH3D when I insert a single model into an empty sheet and (2) why and how does this influence the opening of the second instance of SH3D. All these crashes I keep reporting are not related to textures or other mistakes on my behalf. It happens on most of my models, regardless of what textures have been used. I have used large textures (2048x2048 pixels) many times without problems, and I have the feeling that the bug was introduced somewhere in the last few months. Maybe when the feature of textures on models was introduced?
- I shall reduce my memory setting xmx 2048 to xmx 1024. Maybe that is causing a problem, and seeing that SH3D normally doesn't use more than, say, 750 Mb, it only seems overkill to allow more memory.

I include links to my last error logs. I checked them, but couldn't find the "mesa"and "texture" lines Emmanuel described.
The other links are screenshots of all the renderings I performed. Apart from the rendered image, they show the System Monitor window, where you can see the processor load and memory usage.

- The first screenshot with the "white house" is from the first time I loaded the program. The house is made of 4 imported OBJ's and wouldn't render in the 3D window, although the photo render Q0 shows the house correctly. When I ran the Q1 render, the program took so long that I killed it. That produced the first error log.
- The second error log is from reloading the file. SH3D crashed before it was ready with the 3D render.
- I then opened SH3D and inserted one single object. After doing this, I opened the house again, which now showed correctly. This is what I almost always have to do in order to be able to work on a previously saved file. All the other screenshots were made without SH3D crashing, in one continuous process. They were created in this order: Photo 0, Photo 1, Photo 2, Photo 3, Advanced photo fast, Advanced photo best, Phong fast, Phong best, again Photo 0 (b), again Photo 1 (b, c, d), again Photo 2 (b) and again Photo 3 (b).

I hope you all have a very nice day.

Hans

Photo q0
Photo q1
Photo q2
Photo q3
Advanced photo fast
Advanced photo best
Phong fast
Phong best
Photo q0 -b-
Photo q1 -b- halfway
Photo q1 -c- memory usage
Photo q1 -d- ready
Photo q2 -b-
Photo q3 -b-

error log 32640 = 08:20 hrs
error log 32752 = 08:25 hrs
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Edit 1 times, last edit by hansmex at Jun 22, 2010, 9:14:00 AM]
[Jun 22, 2010, 8:46:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
db4tech
Advanced Member

UK

Hi Hans,

Is all the crashing mainly on your Linux box?

Is your CPU, memory and possibly (depending on Motherboard BIOS overclocking features) on-board graphics overclocked?

Do you (or can you set up a) dual boot Windows partition on your Linux machine?
If you do have a dual boot partition and your dual core CPU is made by Intel, can you run IntelBurnTest and provide the results.

Or

Could you set up a Windows virtual machine on Linux if possible using the free VMware Player (it has improved 3D Graphics support on the Guest system) If you can't use VMware then there is the excellent (also free) ORACLE VirtualBox, still has very good graphics support but I'm not sure Sweet Home runs under VirtualBox. Sweet Home definitely runs under VMware Player.

If it helps I am a qualified PC technician and am just trying to help isolate what maybe causing the crashing and instabilities. Thought if I make the text real small no one else will notice I said that! wink biggrin (Kidding!)

If all this is basic stuff for you please ignore this post.

db4tech

PS: If you would like to read about IntelBurnTest, here is the link for you, or if you are using different Hardware there are other programs that maybe useful.
http://www.ultimate-filez.com/?page=downloads
[Edit 1 times, last edit by db4tech at Jun 22, 2010, 12:13:24 PM]
[Jun 22, 2010, 11:42:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

db4tech:

Indeed, my Ubuntu PC is the one I use most frequently. I like the interface and stability, as well as the fact that this machine has better specs than my Windows Vista laptop.

My Ubuntu install is "clean" in the sense that I haven't changed anything. I am not a PC technician. So nothing is overclocked or so. And no, it's not a dual boot machine, because I don't have a legal copy of Windows lying around, and wouldn't know how to do a dual-install when already having Ubuntu. Windows isn't really facilitating dual-installs, as is Ubuntu.

I could repeat these same tests on my laptop, and probably will do so shortly and report on my findings.

I'm not sure if you have studied all the screenshots I included in my previous post. Those may provide a clue to the answer: (a) the increased memory use during quality setting 1, and (b) the fact that it doesn't complete and (c) the erratic processor load swings. Also the fact that my problems disappear when I first open another instance of SH3D with ONE item in it, makes me rather sure that it's not my Ubuntu PC but some bug in SH3D that causes these crashes.

Hans
Hans

hansdirkse.info
[Jun 22, 2010, 12:06:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
db4tech
Advanced Member

UK

I haven't had a look at all the images yet, while if you want to supply a download I can try rendering your house on a Sweet Home running on Windows 7 and see if it crashes?

db4tech
[Jun 22, 2010, 12:27:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
db4tech
Advanced Member

UK

Yay, well done Emmanuel! smile smile smile

Previously using Sweet Home 2.4 Uber shader 1.3

Now with Sweet Home 2.5, Create advanced photo... 1.5

Also as a direct comparison to the first image, Sweet Home 2.5, Create advanced photo Uber shader 1.4 (1.5 isn't available yet) the roof renders correctly.

For anyone else reading this. Don't worry about the silver leaves (as seen on the first and final Uber render) the Uber shader is work in progress and holds lots of advanced possibilities for the future.

No need to call the builders to fix the roof anymore! smile
db4tech
[Jun 22, 2010, 1:05:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

db4tech:

Thanks for you offer to render the picture for me. The problem isn't so much in the rendering, as well in the fact that I have to start a new drawing first, before I can open a file.
The rendering works fine, except for the one low quality setting. Even the leaking roof which started this thread has been fixed in v2.5, as you demonstrated so clearly, and which made me come back to that specific model.

Hans
Hans

hansdirkse.info
[Jun 22, 2010, 2:04:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Emmanuel. db4tech:

A few moments ago, I tried to make a standard photo render with quality setting 1 of the "House with porch" as shown above, using SH3D v2.5 on my Windows Vista laptop.

Unfortunately the results are the same as under Ubuntu: no image.
Q0, Q2 and Q3 render the picture as it should be, without the leaking roof. I'll see if I can install the additional plug-ins and do the the other renders as well.

Here is the link to the file (approx. 27.5 Mb): House with porch

Hans
Hans

hansdirkse.info
[Edit 2 times, last edit by hansmex at Jun 23, 2010, 12:38:39 AM]
[Jun 23, 2010, 12:31:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
db4tech
Advanced Member

UK

Hi Hans,

I normally only ever use Q1 to check for composition then use advanced or Uber, so it is very rare I try Q2,3 and 4.

Q2 does the same on my machine, it constantly thinks and thinks and thinks. I had a guess that the tree branches might be too difficult for the simple Q2 ground shadow routines. I'm probably totally wrong! biggrin Deleting all the trees then allows Q2 to render the remaining scene straight away.

db4tech
[Jun 23, 2010, 1:22:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 26   Pages: 3   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved