Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 7
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 16528 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
vaughan

Australia
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
biggrin Exterior modelling

Hi developers

I am playing around with the software to generate exterior views of a building.

I have drawn the site plan and the buidling on the site and am populating the site plan with trees (in approximately the right places) and also using various 'rooms' with paving texture etc to replicate paths, patios and driveways.

I have two questions:

firstly does anyone have an asphalt texture? (I am presnetly using a dark grey colour, but it all looks to 'uniform' in the rendered picture.

Secondly, is there a way to increse the ambient light level / intesity for rendering external views?

I know that Sweet Home is excellent for the internal visualistaion and modelling; and maybe I am attempting to use the package for a design use not intended! But having the facility to improve ambient light levels for external rendering would be good. I have been using the sunlight tool in the advanced rendering tool, but while this lights up on face of a building very well, other walls are in very dark shadow.

Great package. I am finding it a little addictive presently!!
[May 10, 2010, 11:43:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Exterior modelling

firstly does anyone have an asphalt texture? (I am presnetly using a dark grey colour, but it all looks to 'uniform' in the rendered picture.
Look here

Secondly, is there a way to increse the ambient light level / intesity for rendering external views?
If you use a texture for the sky, try to use a brighter one. Blender for Architecture web site proposes some nice ones.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[May 10, 2010, 6:25:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
vaughan

Australia
smile Re: Exterior modelling

Hi Emmanuel

I tried the textures and then tried no sky texture at all.

SUCCESS! cool

Setting the sky to a darker blue colour and not applying a sky texture gave me good illumination results. It also had the effect of eliminating multiple shadows that seem to be created from multiple light sources as the texture wraps around the model - dont know if I have explained that well enough sorry!

Anyway, if anyone is wanting to do some exterior visualisation and modelling, set the illumination up high and do not apply a texture to the sky.

Regards to all.
[May 11, 2010, 5:22:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
db4tech
Advanced Member

UK

Hi vaughan,

When you were seeing multiple shadows was the quality of the render set to Fast or High?

I noticed that the Fast setting always produces multiple shadows outside but once High is chosen for the final render there is only one shadow even if a sky texture is applied.

db4tech
[May 11, 2010, 6:33:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
vaughan

Australia

I was using the high setting and was using the photo utility - I was not ussing the latest reder utility.

The file size is quite large (trees etc are quite large 'furniture' items) and if I used the anvanced renering tool, the programme would quit or else the render programme would not create anything.

Here is an example:
Attachment front-existing small.png (171224 bytes) (Download count: 11864) (In this picture, the shadows indicate multiple light sources and the resulting render is overall quite dark. The shadows make it somewhat difficult to easily see the buidling.)
front-existing small.png
[May 11, 2010, 7:14:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Vaughan:

The dark picture is easily "cured" using Picasa, or something similar.

Hans
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[May 11, 2010, 8:00:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
vaughan

Australia

Hi Hans

I did use a picture editor to adjust brightness and contrast, but the multiple shadowing made some areas very dark.

Anyway, I was able to get the result I wanted by not using a sky texture.

Thanks for the advice.

Vaughan smile
[May 11, 2010, 10:36:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved