Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 9
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 10471 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
vaughan

Australia
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
biggrin Window shapes

Hello all

Is it possible to have windows that are triangular or rhombus shaped?

Or how easy (or not!) is it to attach window properties / texture (transperency etc) to a box or triange shape to simulate an odd shaped window.

Presntly I have attached a mirror texture to represent a triangular shped window, but this does not present well in a rendered drawing.

Thanks
Vaughan

PS still working on getting my sloping ceilings with light sources finished off...
[May 10, 2010, 3:40:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: Window shapes

Vaughan:

If you check the List Attachments you will find there a series of transparent boxes. If you check the OBJ en MTL files with a text editor, you will see how the transparency works.

From the 3D Models section you can download a cylinder or triangle, which you can then give the desired transparency. You will probably have to rotate the model while importing it, so that its orientation matches your needs.

With these new glass objects you can start building your special windows. For this you can use a program like Blender, Misfit 3D or Art of Illusion.

Hans
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[May 10, 2010, 7:16:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
vaughan

Australia
smile Re: Window shapes

Thanks Hans,

I managed to get a visualisation by using box and triangle shapes coloured black to represent the windows.

I have been working on modelling the interior of the main living area in my house (where a large wall is soon to be removed). The results of the Sweet Homes product have been very good.

Here is the room with a flat ceiling (I am modelling with sloping ceilings presently): wink Thanks Hans,

I managed to get a visualisation by using box and triangle shapes coloured black to represent the windows.

I have been working on modelling the interior of the main living area in my house (where a large wall is soon to be removed). The results of the Sweet Homes product have been very good.

Here is the room with a flat ceiling (I am modelling with sloping ceilings presently):
Attachment entry.png (842690 bytes) (Download count: 7594)
entry.png
[May 10, 2010, 11:08:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
vaughan

Australia
smile Re: Window shapes

For those interested...!! Here are some more internal pics:
Attachment entry 2.png (314327 bytes) (Download count: 7503)
entry 2.png
Attachment family.png (392341 bytes) (Download count: 7473)
family.png
[May 10, 2010, 11:13:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
vaughan

Australia

And here is the view from the other end of the room.
Attachment room1.png (580151 bytes) (Download count: 13662)
room1.png
[May 10, 2010, 11:19:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
vaughan

Australia
tongue Re: Window shapes

I have also been experimenting with resizing cabinets etc to create a kitchen layout.

This has already led to my wife changing her mind on some design points!! In the picture below, I used a mirror as the glass splash-back and changed to texture to a water droplet that I downloaded.
Attachment new kitchen1.png (976863 bytes) (Download count: 12083)
new kitchen1.png
[May 10, 2010, 11:23:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
vaughan

Australia
applause Re: Window shapes

By the way, in the kitchen model above, I used a box with th marble texture form the library afor the benches.

The main room also has a sloping cathedral ceiling and it was trying to get lights on the sloped celing that led me to this forum! There is another thread I started on the forum involving lights and sloping celiilngs - maybe I sould have posted this there.

In the pics below, you will see that the light on the celilng does not activate one the celiing is sloped. In the seceond picture, there are light sources attached (randomely at the moment!) to the sloped ceiling to light the floor area below. These light sources were lifted out of a light test room linked on one of the forums. (I think Hans drew the test room?)

The luminosity is lower than the standard ceiling light (I experminetd with sizing the light - made no change - but I will place multiple lights to mimic the actual room lighting scheme.

In the pics below, I have used a box to replicate the beam that wil be placed where there is presently a wall.

As you can see - I am enjoying using the software! Well done to the developers!
Attachment floor.png (114814 bytes) (Download count: 8211) (In the second pic, I used the advanced render tool (very nice Emmanuel!) to turn off the ceiling lights and activate 'lamps'. I have also installed the advanced render 1.2 and am experimenting with the sunlight positions.)
floor.png
Attachment floor2.png (245538 bytes) (Download count: 8270) (In the second pic, I used the advanced render tool (very nice Emmanuel!) to turn off the ceiling lights and activate 'lamps'. I have also installed the advanced render 1.2 and am experimenting with the sunlight positions.)
floor2.png
[May 10, 2010, 11:32:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Thank you for all these images Vaughan.
I'm glad Sweet Home 3D helps you to figure out how to modify your home. smile
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[May 10, 2010, 6:03:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
maker

Very interesting. Thank you :)
[Jul 16, 2010, 4:02:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved