Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 6
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 9114 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
vaughan

Australia
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
confused sloping ceilings and light sources

hello!

I have been modelling my home in 3d to visualise seom rennovations I am doing.

I have gotten some amazing results from the photo utility and am very happy with eth render quality and the software in general. Great job to all you developers!

I do have one question....

When I use sloping walls to get a sloping ceiling (i.e. a vaulted or cathedral ceiling etc) the light source in the centre of each room ceililng that usually 'turns on' in the rendered picture doesnt turn on. As a result, the room is not lit in the rendered drawing.

I am using multiple 'rooms' to get multiple light sources within the room, inlcuding the sloping ceilings.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated! I will load some pics to the gallery once I work out how to do it!

Regards
[May 4, 2010, 10:32:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: sloping ceilings and light sources

I know the way the location of lights on sloping ceiling is computed isn't perfect and I should improve it.
I suggest you to split your room in two joined rooms: one that will match the sloping ceiling and the other one matching the rest. The light at the ceiling of the second room should be ok in that case, if its middle is under the ceiling.
You may also give a try to the advanced rendering plug-in that lets you place lights where you want.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[May 5, 2010, 8:01:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
vaughan

Australia
smile Re: sloping ceilings and light sources

Thanks for the info, I will try to do what you have suggested.

I have the latest rendering update - quite impressive. I like the facility to switch lighting modes.

Do you have a link to a suitable 3ds object that I could import that would function as a recessed ceiling light? Some of the lighting objects in the various libraries do not actually provide lighting.

Regards
[May 6, 2010, 3:42:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Vaughan:

Here is a post that contains a link to a file with a general purpose light that you can use. However... it has several drawbacks.
Advantages:
- the lamp itself is invisible, only the light shows
Disadvantages:
- you cannot save it as an object
- you cannot place it inside a lamp

Hans
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Edit 1 times, last edit by hansmex at May 6, 2010, 6:59:51 AM]
[May 6, 2010, 6:57:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
vaughan

Australia
applause Re: sloping ceilings and light sources

Thank you for the link

I have opened the file and copied over the light source into the building I am modelling.

I experimented with size, height and placement and I am able to have a lighting source on the inclined / sloping ceilings.

Thanks again for your help and also to Emmanuel.

I am very impressed with the Sweet Home package. I have used many CAD packages over the years (since Autocad release 10 in the 1980s - shows my age!) and I find Sweet Home to be quite intuative to use. The only other free pacakge that 'competes' would possibly be Envisioneer Express - but that product does not have the render cabability built in.

Overall, Sweet Home 3D is a fantastic modelling and visualisation tool. Keep up the development!

Finally, can I add or insert a picture into a forum post? I will add a pic of my efforts after the weekend. Unfortunately work gets in the way of my private life!
[May 6, 2010, 10:39:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Here's a link to basicLights.sh3f, the furniture library file that contains the 3 individual lights mentioned in the blog article about the advanced rendering plug-in.
These lights are not recessed ceiling lights but I guess that it will render the same.

Vaughan, I added you to a group of users authorized to add files to their posts in the forum.

Thank you for your remarks. They are greatly appreciated. smile
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[May 6, 2010, 1:17:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved