Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 40
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 47142 times and has 39 replies Next Thread
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Increase memory

Thank you Emmanuel, it's more clear now. I tried the 'switch' you mentioned before to see if it worked but I didn't close and reopen the plan so I saw no difference. Now with reopening it helps a little although it's tedious to have to close and reopen the plan multiple times.

Even though I'm a professional developer I'm not familiar with the Java runtime, hence my question about the usefulness of a bigger/faster graphics card. I'm waiting for prices to lower a bit so I have time to do my research concerning Java and graphics cards.
[Apr 26, 2022, 1:53:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
JonnyD

HI - I've just gone to increase the memory (Mac OS) and the entry doesn't appear in the info.plist file at all.

Has it changed since this post was made?
[Jul 25, 2022, 10:16:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Please read the FAQ How can I adjust the memory used by Sweet Home 3D?
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Jul 25, 2022, 5:43:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
JonnyD

Hi Emanuel - I know this has been a pain for you on several occasions, but it's really tricky to increase the memory by this method. I'm just wondering whether it can be included somehow in the settings? Obviously it would require a restart, but far easier than editing this file every time there's a new version.
[Aug 23, 2023, 10:27:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
JonnyD

I forgot to say, I always get the error telling me I don't have permission to edit this file when I try.
[Aug 23, 2023, 10:31:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
LaVache

Belgique

I would like to know where is SweetHome3D script located on Linux ?

Now about Mac permissions it is easy to change permissions of a file on a Mac.
Click on a file then type [Command]+[I] and it is at bottom of informations window. [command] key is/was the one with an apple on it.
[Aug 23, 2023, 1:29:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

I would like to know where is SweetHome3D script located on Linux ?
It depends on where you installed your Sweet Home 3D. On my Debian install I created a directory SH3D with subdirectories for different versions of Sweet Home 3D. Currently "SweetHome3D-7.0.2", "SweetHome3D-7.1", and "SweetHome3D-7.2.beta7". In those directories I extracted the .tgz compressed download for each version. After extraction each install directory has two startup scripts: "SweetHome3D" (no extension) and "SweetHome3D-Java3D-1_5_2" (no extension). If you get black panes after startup use the 1_5_2 script instead of the default SweetHome3D script. Those are the scripts where you can set the memory limit.
Before the memory string " -Xmx..." I also add " -Duser.name=Keet ". This ensures that in the sh3d files the username Keet is used and not the Linux username. You don't want your real username exposed if you make an .sh3d file available for download.
The multiple installs make it possible to use different versions, like evaluation the latest beta. If you already have a launcher you can look at it's properties for the path it refers to. That's also the place to change the path if you upgrade to a newer version.

If you used the installer from the repository of your distribution it depends on the distribution where it is. It should have created a launcher so you can check the properties of the launcher for the path. The repository most likely has an outdated version of Sweet Home 3D so the best way is to just download the latest version .tgz file and extract it where you want or replace the old install with a newer version.
[Aug 23, 2023, 2:08:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
JonnyD

I'm using the Apple Store version. I know how to do it - ie which file to edit, and that's fine because I can take a copy of the .cfg file, edit it elsewhere and copy/replace it back. It's just a bit of a pain. This isn't a vital request, just a 'would be nice'
[Aug 23, 2023, 2:26:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
LaVache

Belgique

Thanks Keet I found it. It's still in my Downloads folder.
[Aug 23, 2023, 3:26:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

JonnyD, as you noticed you need some special rights to edit SweetHome3D.cfg and Sweet Home 3D application doesn't have these rights sad
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Aug 23, 2023, 6:26:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved