Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 2
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6888 times and has 1 reply Next Thread
logisch

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
probing complexity

i more or less randomly picked an ancient object, the remains of the monestary of "Paulinezella" near to Saalfeld, Germany for further practice.
That "home" uses walls, ground, curved-wall furniture and arcs. Thus its very basic but even with that the results are looking interesting.

see Wikipedia and Commons for reference.

the verticals in the drawing are neither up to scale nor that good resembling what once was or is reality. but you might even guess that the big square in front is the remains of the spiritual walking paths and the garden inside. i assume the rectangular wall shapes in the side building could have been chimneys from fire places.

first the bird view:

rendering of a 1200x1200 version is in progress - its taking its time; no need for a hurry at that. ;-)

then some detail, a look along the main hallway:

what popped up to my eye in version 2.2 of the program was this:
* its hard to place equi-distant objects
* there is a height limit of about some 10 m for furniture placement
* there seems to be no cube primitive object at all (would help me for extending the pillar design to a more correct representation)
* on-going and desired 3D preview rendering badly impacts on editor window response times
* final rendering in quality stage 3 for the hallway showed me some relatively bad looking shadows - so i decided to stop at level 2.
* selection and de-selection is a bit critical:
** selecting with a rectangle always selects some objects and de-selects others at the same time, missing an evident add-only/remove-only mode (might be there, just did not get the idea)
** having a big lawn there often lets me select and move the lawn
* zooming in and out does not take care about current selection nor is there a way for selecting the zoom target via a rectangle
* some options would be fine in a menu bar or a flying window
* at maximum zoom out its hard to operate the 1st person view object in the 2D plan view
* (and already known) its sometimes hard to snap to existing corners or finish a wall by double clicking once the mouse was a bit moved
* rectangular wall setups with much thickness tend to move triangular corners to the outside
* when walls are thick then smaller walls attached to them can vanish unreachable into their parental objects inside.

i think going for 2.3 might have improved overall work, e.g. by the upcoming grouping feature or the increase of object height limit.
[Mar 21, 2010, 11:33:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
logisch

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: probing complexity

bird view image in 1200 squared at Q4
[Mar 22, 2010, 12:25:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved