Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 8
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1914 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
largpack

Österreich
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Distored textures

Hello everyone,

I have attempted various methods to resolve the distorted textures in my self-created staircase model in FreeCAD 3D, but I have not been successful. Is there a straightforward solution to this issue?

I have already gone through multiple forums discussing the same problem, but I have yet to find a solution.

Additionally, I tried to inspect the texture coordinates using Blender. It appears that the absence of texture coordinates is the source of the issue.

The model file can be accessed at the following link: https://drseeber.at/other/SH3D/Example.sh3d

Attached is an example of the distortion:

Thanks in advance!
[Feb 8, 2023, 9:13:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: Distored textures

It's a known fact that the sides of walls have this distorted effect. One way to solve it is to split the wall and bent a short part (as long as the wall is thick) so the 'end' of the wall is the same as the rest of the wall and the real end is hidden against the other wall.
Another trick is to just place a thin box against the wall but that produces the problem that textures don't seem to display the same on a wall and an object.
A third trick is to just create wall out of boxes, triabgles, and/or custom shapes (Tools menu, Generate 3D shape).

For the stairs I would have created some custom shapes. One for the bottom step, one for conscutive steps and one for the platform. If you create the shapes all in the same direction textures will display perfectly. This is more or less the same as what you mentioned as the texture coordinates in Blender, you just create all parts in the same way, not one horizontal and the next vertical. If you select the combined shapes and export them you can import them again as a single piece of furniture and even have the option to mark it as staircase so it will generate a hole in the ceiling if necessary.

(It is also possible that you have positioned your model in FreeCad diagonally when exporting, I don't know if FreeCad takes that into consideration for the texture directions when exporting.)
[Feb 9, 2023, 8:51:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
largpack

Österreich

Hello, and thank you for responding!

The wall within the staircase is actually considered part of the furniture and was designed using FreeCAD. It's possible that the issue may stem from FreeCAD or the way the sketches were extruded.

I am somewhat surprised by the distortion of the two walls, as they were created based on two separate, relatively straightforward sketches and are not directly attached to either the staircase or to each other. Maybe it's connected to how the assembly is handled in the export to the .dea file by FreeCAD 3D.

Regarding the staircase: It's interesting to note that the middle portion of the stairs remains undistorted. When referring to "custom shapes," are you talking about custom shapes in Sweet Home 3D or in FreeCAD 3D?
[Feb 9, 2023, 11:44:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

When referring to "custom shapes," are you talking about custom shapes in Sweet Home 3D or in FreeCAD 3D?
In Sweethome3D. (Menu, Tools, Generate 3D shape)
[Feb 9, 2023, 12:06:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

The 3D shape generator is available after installing its plug-in.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Feb 9, 2023, 12:20:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Modifying texture directly from Furniture modification dialog always produces this kind of effect on the side of objects.
If you don't want this distortion, you could set texture coordinates in FreeCAD and change the texture of the imported furniture with Materials dialog box which will use these texture coordinates (the Shape generator plug-in generates default texture coordinates too). See also this tip.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Feb 9, 2023, 12:26:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sjb007
Advanced Member

You have mentioned three tools:
SH3D: No ability to modify texture coordinates.
FreeCAD: No success making changes there, and you say when loaded into Blender there are no texture coordinates, implying that FreeCAD cannot create correct texture coordinates either.
Blender: You saw no texture coordinates when loading the model, but here you are best placed to create new correct texture coordinates as Blender has very powerful tools for doing this.

So seems to me the best path for you is to load item(s) into Blender, mark edge seams, and do the UV unwrapping, and manipulation till you are happy with the texture coordinates. Then just export to obj, and import into SH3D as new furniture.

The only issue with this is that the onus is on you to learn how to do UV unwrapping in Blender if you do not already know how to.
[Feb 9, 2023, 5:22:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
largpack

Österreich

After the second day of using blender I am slowly getting somewhere. However adjusting the UV Map is a lot of work and needs to be done over and over again when you want to make changes to the model in FreeCAD. Maybe I will try to use a texture plugin directly in FreeCAD. I hope this makes the process a little bit easier.

[Feb 9, 2023, 8:33:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved