Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 5
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4208 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
Woodcat

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Export to glTF format

Greetings!

Is it possible to add export to glTF format ? If, in addition, the walls and furniture could be separated (would be in different groups — "Collections" in Blender) — that would be wonderful.
[Feb 7, 2023, 8:43:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sjb007
Advanced Member

Re: Export to glTF format

That would be a lot of work judging by the size of that spec document.

I raised a request and prototyped some code to add distinct objects to the exported .obj files. It abused the object name to provide logical hierarchy of collections in Blender. It seperated by elevation, level, walls/floors/ceilings/objects/groups. It is not trivial to use as you have to compile your own SH3D and replace some files in blender, and has possibly bit-rotted as it was written against SH3D 6.6.

Original thread discussing adding "o" objects to exporter.
Feature request with POC patch.
Message in another thread where I linked to the Blender ticket.
Blender enhancement request (with a nice pic of hierarchy)

Unfortunately the blender guy didn't want to update the legacy importer Python code, and hasn't found time to implement the hierarchy feature in the C++ code so far.

It is not clear if you want glTF for better import into Blender, or if the glTF is to use in something else. My solution gets you better import into Blender as is, and your scene could be exported from Blender to glTF if it was to be used elsewhere.
[Feb 7, 2023, 5:20:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Woodcat

Huge thanks for the detailed answer!

I am studying game development. I have Blender as my "standardization stage". First all models are loaded into it, and then into the game engine — Godot 4 , which has its own import from Blender.

My idea is to try to make an alternative to The Sims [3] (this is an explanation in a highly simplified way). And need to have content creation constructors in the project that users(players) not too highly skilled in modeling could use. I'm working on a character generator right now. There is a program that could be used as a tree generator. And Sweet Home 3D, I suppose, could be good for creating buildings. Ideally, it would be good to put it into a game engine, but that task is clearly not feasible for me right now. The first stage would probably be a "living in an apartment" kind of thing, where the entire map would be made in Sweet Home 3D. And maybe not in the first iteration, but I'd like to be able to allow players to create their own maps (initially, apartments).
[Feb 8, 2023, 9:44:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Woodcat

glTF is, in fact, a new standard for transferring models between 3D modeling programs and game engines.
[Feb 8, 2023, 9:21:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Woodcat

Maybe this will be of interest to someone here. Trying to make a constructor in the game engine to create buildings and discussing the implementation of Sweet Home 3D features in it.
[May 3, 2023, 1:31:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved